The MT-07 Forum

Yoshimura R77 exhaust bung

noodles

• Premium Member

I have the Yoshimura R77 installed. I had never thought to look at the bung size. It fits the stock O2 sensor with a 12mm bung. I ordered the Active Tune from FTECU, and that needs an 18mm bung. While I don't need to use the Active Tune, I already bought the thing and it's just sitting in my house waiting to be used.

My question to the forum is: will this adapter (see below) work? I fear it raises the sensor too far from the exhaust stream. I spoke to FTECU on the phone and they advised some MT-07 riders have used it with success. I don't have the technical knowledge to really know what that means or if it will work appreciably.

Alternatively, I have a friend who can weld stainless pretty damn well if need be. However, I really want to avoid the possibility of destroying the exhaust with a botched job though. It's also down time from the bike while the job is done and it's my main mode of transport.

product_image.php?imageid=226

Edit: I ended up just doing it. It works great! I'm sure the sensor should be in the exhaust stream but for my purposes it appears to tune just fine. I'm not racing this thing, I take it to work daily, to get groceries, and on weekend rides. I know ideally I'd do it the "right" way - but this set up works beautifully. 

his face seems pulled and tense
like he's riding on a motorbike in the strongest winds

• 1 month later...
I have the Yoshimura R77 installed. I had never thought to look at the bung size. It fits the stock O2 sensor with a 12mm bung. I ordered the Active Tune from FTECU, and that needs an 18mm bung. While I don't need to use the Active Tune, I already bought the thing and it's just sitting in my house waiting to be used. 
My question to the forum is: will this adapter (see below) work? I fear it raises the sensor too far from the exhaust stream. I spoke to FTECU on the phone and they advised some MT-07 riders have used it with success. I don't have the technical knowledge to really know what that means or if it will work appreciably.

Alternatively, I have a friend who can weld stainless pretty damn well if need be. However, I really want to avoid the possibility of destroying the exhaust with a botched job though. It's also down time from the bike while the job is done and it's my main mode of transport.

product_image.php?imageid=226

Edit: I ended up just doing it. It works great! I'm sure the sensor should be in the exhaust stream but for my purposes it appears to tune just fine. I'm not racing this thing, I take it to work daily, to get groceries, and on weekend rides. I know ideally I'd do it the "right" way - but this set up works beautifully. 
Hey, I had a question if you could hep me. I've got the active tune and trying to install it but the instructions are a bit unclear for me. I'm looking for the left hand side sensor but cant seem to find it,... and now wondering if I just attach it to the right side cable and it's all good to go? Could you detail the install a bit with just a picture or location to help me out a bit? :) Thanks in advance.

Not a 100% sure what you are asking but the 07 only as 1 O2 sensor and it is on the right
side of the bike. there is no other plug for a O2 sensor.

Not a 100% sure what you are asking but the 07 only as 1 O2 sensor and it is on the right side of the bike. there is no other plug for a O2 sensor.
That was basically my question, I could have made that more clear. I was confused because of these install instructions for the active tune module from ftecu. Attaching a link to imgur for clarification. The wiring was made for both the fz07/fz09, so I wanted to double check I was doing it right before going forward with it.

• Premium Member
Not a 100% sure what you are asking but the 07 only as 1 O2 sensor and it is on the right side of the bike. there is no other plug for a O2 sensor.
That was basically my question, I could have made that more clear. I was confused because of these install instructions for the active tune module from ftecu. Attaching a link to imgur for clarification. The wiring was made for both the fz07/fz09, so I wanted to double check I was doing it right before going forward with it.
Yeah, the instructions from FTECU suck. Only 1 bung but they could have notes more clearly that the stock bung size was not the "standard" bung their sensor uses.

his face seems pulled and tense
like he's riding on a motorbike in the strongest winds

Archived