The MT-07 Forum

Stock ECU dilemma, Akra Titanium Exhaust

turbhoe

The issues I've seen with 17s are check engine lights, codes that don't exist for our bikes, and one guy's bike wouldn't start at all until Andy Palmer bailed him out with an extra ECU he had lying around. 
To be more specific, you have the ability to do everything with FTecu that 2WDW does. It's actually what they use. You just lack the knowledge and experience to adjust the timing and other tables in the way they do. Or at least I do. What I did and what most people do is load fueling tables from the power commander site, lower the fan temps and disable the fuel cut makes engine braking so pronounced. 2WDW has access to dynos to fine tune other aspects of the tune, mainly timing, not to mention probably better fueling tables than you get from PC.

Thanks for clearing all that up. And yeah, I've no business trying to time this thing from the hip.lol

As far as downloading different maps, how does that work? Do you decide which map you need and buy that map from PC?

Also, I thought PC couldn't adjust certain things since it's only a piggyback system. But they have whole reflash tunes available?

Sorry for asking what are probably dumb questions, I'm just new to this whole game. I really appreciate the help, though!

As far as whether the issues are with ABS bikes or not, I could not say. I have an MT07 with ABS that I had issues with, but not sure about the others.

Questions and sharing information is what the forums are about. No problem there, shinyribs. You can download the maps from power commander's website for free, you just have to set up an account with your email address. There are maps for various exhausts as well as stock exhausts and options for different intake and filter combinations. Power Commander has the maps for their products but FTecu has fuel table map importing built in to use the maps from the PC making it unnecessary to get a custom tune from some one who actually knows how to tune. It's a good option for few people who might have a tuner they want to use nearby or those who like to tinker with things. I think most would be best served with a 2WDW or other mail in service honestly.

I run a full exhaust with no tune, just unplugged the lambda sensor. It will make the bike run richer but will give error codes (no light on dash), the bike runs A LOT better without it.

Doing more research on this topic I read where none of the tuners had been able to get a handle on what was going on inside the ECU during ECO mode. So, an I correct to think that a flash is only operable when riding outside of ECO mode?

So do you end up with a flashed/ better running/ smoother fueling bike under heavy throttle input....yet it's still running stock parameters during ECO? Which is where I think we all spend a lot of time cruising at.

The reason this concerns me is general day-to-day riding. If I'm getting a flash done to eliminate the decel cut, but it's still gonna decel cut in ECO mode.... I'm lost lol.

• Premium Member

From casual observation, ECO pops up anytime I have the RPMs below 3,000 regardless of gear. This just indicates the most fuel efficient range to be running in as far as I can tell. I don't believe it to be anything special. But I could be wrong.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

On 9/9/2017 at 5:26 PM, DewMan said:

From casual observation, ECO pops up anytime I have the RPMs below 3,000 regardless of gear. This just indicates the most fuel efficient range to be running in as far as I can tell. I don't believe it to be anything special. But I could be wrong.

That what I figured ECO was, too. But then I was reading a thread on here where hordboy(?) and another guy playing with tuning complained about the readings they were getting during ECO was throwing off their ability to tune things. I'll see if I can find the thread....

On 9/9/2017 at 5:26 PM, DewMan said:

This is alsl where the FI runs in closed loop - meaning the O2 sensor is contributing to the map. It'll run very lean when that ECO is on to get the incredible fuel mileage this bike is capable of. Open the throttle more (and it's also gotta be TPS controlled as much if not more than just an RPM) and the system will run open loop. The FI will disregard the O2 sensor's input and only be based on a written map based on load, throttle, RPM, road speed and maybe even gear position w/no exhaust info. My aprilia has no O2 sensor and runs open loop only. those systems are far easier (if there is such a thing futzing with FI)  to make changes to w/o totally screwing things up.

So, if you try and override the factory's map w/o taking into account the effect of that O2 sensor, you could run into issues where the ECU is fighting itself.  

• 1 month later...

Not sure this is the place to ask, but I guess I will anyway! 

When you download a Power Commander Map, and it states "snorkel removed", is that the complete snorkel (top and internal oval tube), or just the lower or upper tub removed?  

49 minutes ago, mick97702 said:

Not sure this is the place to ask, but I guess I will anyway! 

When you download a Power Commander Map, and it states "snorkel removed", is that the complete snorkel (top and internal oval tube), or just the lower or upper tub removed?  

The majority of tuners I’ve spoken with (Doebeck , 2wdw) remove the curved plastic piece and the plate that covers the airfilter when they refer to “removing the snorkel” airfilter is bolted in place so it’s a no worry situation and offers the most airflow without investing in an aftermarket filter/filter cover 

19 minutes ago, crsnhppr said:

The majority of tuners I’ve spoken with (Doebeck , 2wdw) remove the curved plastic piece and the plate that covers the airfilter when they refer to “removing the snorkel” airfilter is bolted in place so it’s a no worry situation and offers the most airflow without investing in an aftermarket filter/filter cover 

Awesome! Thanks for the reply!

Archived