The MT-07 Forum

Should I patch this?

hippiebikerchick

Yep, take it off and patch it.

There are patches. Flat pieces of rubber designed to repair a tire from the inside.

Then there are plugs that are made to repair a tire from the outside.

What you always want to use is a patch plug. It's a patch with a stem coming out of it.

You have to drill the hole to use it, but it is by far the best and safest way to go.

No need to buy a new tire just for a hole in the center of the tread.

• Global Moderator

Damn. If it's leaking air, I would replace the tire. I patch tractor tires and car tires, but never bike tires. You only have two of them and I wouldn't take any chances.

Are you comfortable riding with the thought in the back of your head that your rear tire might fail at high speeds. I would change it, I hit triple digits daily. That thought in the back of my head would drive me crazy.

You do or don't
Then your dead.

To order a tail tidy click
One-off-fabrication.myshopify.com

• Premium Member
crazycracka501
Damn. If it's leaking air, I would replace the tire. I patch tractor tires and car tires, but never bike tires. You only have two of them and I wouldn't take any chances.
I'm with Guru on this one.  They aren't cheap, but cost a heck of a lot less than a life.  :|

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

• Global Moderator

This is what the Michelin motorcycle tires website says:

CAN YOU REPAIR A MICHELIN MOTORCYCLE TIRE?
Michelin does not condone or endorse the repair of any of its motorcycle tires that have suffered punctures or other damage. Michelin assumes no liability for injuries or consequential damages arising from MICHELIN® motorcycle tires that have been patched, plugged, sealed or otherwise repaired by a dealer, distributor or consumer.

I am not saying not to do it, but I would be very cognizant of what the manufacturer says.

I've done track days on plugged tires. However...that tire in the pic has two holes not one..... so I suggest in this case buy a new tire.

Congress is the only whore house in the United States that loses money.

Ugh ... I just went thru that, had a sheet metal screw in direct center of my front tire. I opted to trash the tire and spend big bucks on a replacement.

• Premium Member

My Nissan got a screw in it the night before I left for vacation and I had it patched and my car's tires are Z rated. So far its been fine. I would patch it but continue to check tire pressure before every ride. If that patch does leak it will be slow anyway, then you can replace it.

My Nissan got a screw in it the night before I left for vacation and I had it patched and my car's tires are Z rated. So far its been fine. I would patch it but continue to check tire pressure before every ride. If that patch does leak it will be slow anyway, then you can replace it.
The way it was explained to me is that motorcycle tires go through cooling and heating quickly.  I assume they are more stressed than car tires, we use more of the tire, that's for sure.  I would have not as much worry with a car tire, just not sure it's worth taking a chance.

Those patches work great. But I will second Guru too, on a bike its taking an unnecessary risk. You always want an optimum tire, at all time.
Let me put it another way. Would you ride on a tire with no thread? Yes, its very much doable, but would you safely do it?

• Premium Member
crazycracka501

Sounds like it is pretty much all but one or two people in agreement to replace the thing Hippie.

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

Had the same issue with my SV650. Remove the nail. The inside of the tire had a very tiny hole. Put a patch. After a couple of rides i was not able to find where was the location of the hole made by the nail. With heat, the rubber smooth out (sorry for my English). My tire was almost new. It happens earlier with another bike. The hole was bigger. I replaced the tire.

For peace of mind, replacing the tire is a sure thing.

past bikes: WR250X, KLR650, V-Strom 1000, DR650, FZ-6, SV650S, Seca II, GS400S, Seca 750, YZ80.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Update: There was only one nail hole, not two. I guess the picture sort of could be interpreted as having two holes. Before pulling the nail out we put soapy water on it and it wasn't leaking. After carefully pulling the nail out we noticed it was parallel to the tread of the tire, not perpendicular, so it probably didn't go all the way through. We put on more soapy water and still no bubbles. (Maybe it's only a flesh wound)  :))

Illegitimi non carborundum

Archived