The MT-07 Forum

Yet another battlefield victory for the FZ-07

Mr.Puss

to have comparable performance with 500lb/50HP, the heavier ones needs to be 700/78.5.
Acceleration is exclusively the domain of torque and gearing, controlling for weight.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• 2 months later...

Having owned both a heavily lightened ER6N kwaka ( race bike) and now owning a 07, I have no trouble saying , even with road weight the 07 is a better bike. My kwaka 650 ( ninja naked for US people) was stripped down and weighed the same pretty much as the 07. The kwaka felt heavier and was not as nimble , even as my road going 07.
The kwaka did feelmore planted without the 07's vague front end, but most of the 07 shortcomings can be mitigated by moving forward motard style ( I would rather not have to , of course but it works). Once you really start chucking the bikes around the 07 wins hands down. Could be my style of riding of course.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

The SRZ was a heavy feeling lump. I love it as a bike, and would love to own one, but if you want a single with power, suspension and handling get a KTM 690 duke. Sally has one and riding it through the twisties is just amazing. Only bike ever ridden that doesn't NEED the suspension worked on.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

I actually liked the 07 much better, especially around hairpins, with the front raised and the rear lowered. This was not intentional, just a result of running too much preload after fitting the DDC valves and the Nitron shock having a softer spring. Stock, it felt nervous and like I had to work to keep it on its course and chosen amount of lean. However, I now have less preload on the front than stock, so the whole bike sits a little lower but with a similar front-to-rear balance as stock, and it is still neutral at all speeds and types of corners. So I have concluded that it was the stock suspension that caused the insecurity, not the stance.

However, my riding style allow pretty crappy chassis geometries to function for me. The VT500FT Ascot had cruiser-like rake and trail and a rather flexible frame. Steering was incredibly light, but slow. Worked for me unless I tried to take it by the scruff of its neck, when it would twist and protest loudly. But I mostly use little effort and let my bikes take their time. My brother, who is very physical, hates bikes that doesn't steer quickly and tolerate brute force. While I prefer a slow but light steering bike, my brother prefer heavy steering bikes that can be beaten into quick changes of direction. BTW, the Ascot had much too little cornering clearance, so I fitted Koni shock absorbers intended for the VF1100C (V65 Magna) that raised the rear 40 mm / 1.5 in. That made the bike so nervous and wobbly, it scared me. After fitting stiffer Progressive fork springs with extra preload, the stance became more balanced and the bike worked fantastic.

The KTM Duke was on my list when I ended up with the 07, BTW. In fact, if I hadn't googled a bit and discovered the big issue the 690s  have with the valve gear, that was what I was going to buy. Learning that the 07 has a virtually indestructible engine tipped me in its direction.

Are we sufficiently off topic now  (:))

Archived