The MT-07 Forum

How would someone go about giving the bike an inch of lift ?

crsnhppr

I would like an in or two of lift and don't know enough to begin to know what is needed ...just want more ground clearance and suspension more capable of off road schtuffs!! Thanks

If you want to build a scrambler sort of thing, you really should consider a fork with 2 in more travel.

You can, as a more cost effective alternative, increase the travel of your stock fork, but it will reduce overlap. This again will reduce stability and increase wear. Whether this is critical or not is something you will have to measure unless someone knows the stock overlap. Usually, you should be able to increase travel by an inch or even an inch and a half without too severe drawbacks. Since the standard fork is of the traditional rod type, you can fit a tube of the desired length and the exact same OD as the damper rod. Internal bore should be just big enough that the rod retaining bolt will push through. Now replace the retaining bolt with one that is longer than the stock by the same length as your spacer.

For the shock, I would get someone to make me a shock that will give you the extra wheel travel you are seeking and raising the rear end the same amount as you raise the front to keep the geometry the same.

• Like 1

This girl looks like she may know something about off road suspension .... maybe not but I will still try and contact her.

0cabbdd3ac8bc6b2a559071546bda694.jpg

• Like 2

Beemer

• Premium Member
This girl looks like she may know something about off road suspension .... maybe not but I will still try and contact her. 

0cabbdd3ac8bc6b2a559071546bda694.jpg

Good luck with that. :)
  • Like 1

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member
I would like an in or two of lift and don't know enough to begin to know what is needed ...just want more ground clearance and suspension more capable of off road schtuffs!! Thanks

If you have the money, contact Nitron, they might be able to do something for you. They have experience with off road bikes and probably have a longer shock that would work.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member

Also look into the Tracer 700 swing arm, shock,and links. The swingarm is 2" longer and that alone will add suspension travel. But a stiffer spring might be needed with the increased leverage on the shock.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• 2 years later...
phanomenal07

I know this is a old thread but this is exactly what I'm trying to do at the moment. Still in the research phase. Will the tracer 700 swing arm bolt on without any modification?

Just now, phanomenal07 said:

I know this is a old thread but this is exactly what I'm trying to do at the moment. Still in the research phase. Will the tracer 700 swing arm bolt on without any modification?

Direct bolt on.

Any ideas where to get one at a decent price?

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Just now, gregjet said:

Any ideas where to get one at a decent price?

I got my spare swinger off ebay for $100 and it even came with shock, linkage, axle and adjusters just for reference. I would think you could do similarly for a Tracer.

Partsfish lists a new XSR700 swinger for $343.88 for comparison.

Edited by mossrider

On 7/9/2019 at 12:32 PM, mossrider said:

Direct bolt on.

Linkage and dogbone are different part numbers. Any idea how this affects suspension?

Just now, Major_Tom said:

Linkage and dogbone are different part numbers. Any idea how this affects suspension?

Actually this thread caused me to research my information about interchangability.  I can't guarantee the swinger is a direct replacement, as I haven't tried it myself, but I suspect it is. Having played with Yamaha's for ever they tend to stick with  established, amortized parts and tooling even across models and variants. I'm only guessing that the link parts are diferent to allow for added ride height and leverage ratio created by the longer arm.

Is the shock the same part #? 

On 5/12/2017 at 3:27 PM, crsnhppr said:

Well I just got 2 inches more out of my xsr. Traxxion Dynamics set me up with +20mm with their ak20 cartridge fork internals on the stock forks. 19"×2.5" front wheel lifts the bike ~51mm at the triple clamp. A tfx 141 shock at the rear cut to max allowable length gives about 36mm at the rear axle, and my welder shaved the OEM dogbone to get me the extra 14mm.

Tfx custom ordered longer shock

Traxxion AK20

My suggestion? Wait for the tenere 700, or get a Ducati desert sled. That said, I am super stoked on my bike now and I wouldnt trade it for anything, its the price in hindsight that makes me cringe XD

21 minutes ago, mossrider said:

Actually this thread caused me to research my information about interchangability.  I can't guarantee the swinger is a direct replacement, as I haven't tried it myself, but I suspect it is. Having played with Yamaha's for ever they tend to stick with  established, amortized parts and tooling even across models and variants. I'm only guessing that the link parts are diferent to allow for added ride height and leverage ratio created by the longer arm.

Is the shock the same part #? 

It is not.

CE_40539_1.JPG

Yamaha TRACER 700 2017 REAR SUSPENSION - order parts in just a few clicks from Europe’s number 1...

Edited by Major_Tom

Interesting. I still bet it will bolt up. Guessing that shock is like 1/4 longer which many folks do anyway. May have to swap over swinger, link, pork chop and a shock, or some combination of same depending on what a person wants to achieve. 

I'm not a safe person to ask. When in doubt; do it/try it/fix it/make it/swap it, lol. I have more mistakes than successes, that's how I learn. Kinda bummed I can't get my hands on some of this Euro spec stuff. 

14 hours ago, mossrider said:

Interesting. I still bet it will bolt up. Guessing that shock is like 1/4 longer which many folks do anyway. May have to swap over swinger, link, pork chop and a shock, or some combination of same depending on what a person wants to achieve. 

I'm not a safe person to ask. When in doubt; do it/try it/fix it/make it/swap it, lol. I have more mistakes than successes, that's how I learn. Kinda bummed I can't get my hands on some of this Euro spec stuff. 

The site I linked will ship internationally, but it's not cheap. Best bet is to troll UK or DE ebay for what you want. Tip, swingarm in german is schwingenarm ;)

• 1 year later...
On 7/12/2019 at 3:09 AM, mossrider said:

@mossrider are you using tracer 700 swing arm on your fz07? Is the longer swing arm a way to get more traction, also is it lighter than the fz07 one?

6 minutes ago, Joaoduarte said:

@mossrider are you using tracer 700 swing arm on your fz07? Is the longer swing arm a way to get more traction, also is it lighter than the fz07 one?

Stock swingarm (rules). Everything else is aftermarket.

1 minute ago, mossrider said:

Stock swingarm (rules). Everything else is aftermarket.

Would a longer swing arm like the tracer 700 one being longer 2inch i think help me in more traction? Alsp would it be plug and play? No problem with chain rubbing?

5 minutes ago, Joaoduarte said:

Would a longer swing arm like the tracer 700 one being longer 2inch i think help me in more traction? Alsp would it be plug and play? No problem with chain rubbing?

Definitely help traction.

I'm sure it's a direct bolt up, 'but'.

It'll change suspension leverage ratios, change geometry, change wheel base, change seat height,  require a longer chain etc. Some of these parameters more than others and maybe some negatively or some positively. A person simply won't know till they experiment and test some. Remember the frame/motor are virtually the same on both models.