The MT-07 Forum

These Damn Neon Wheels

jkzak

I thought it would be a great idea to get the neon wheels on my bike cause they look great. Talk about maintenance. They show every speck of dirt and chain lube....talk about chain lube. That's why I'm posting is to ask if anyone has any tips/tricks to keep the rear wheel clean or could recommend a product that doesn't spray.

During a service once they applied very thick grease to the chain. I have no idea if it was a good idea as I went for oil later on. But it did seem to just cling on there.

Just do it! 

• Premium Member

Like stated above, are you wiping the excess off?

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

• Premium Member

With today's modern intra/pre-lubed, sealed chains, what our lubing does is keep the OUTSIDE cleaned and free from corrosion. WD-40 or anything that does not attack the seals will work as long as it forestalls rust: thick, thin, or in-between.

Like stated above, are you wiping the excess off?
I did but i guess not enough. I will wipe more. thanks for the replies fellas

I spray a bit of WD40 on a microfiber rag. Works well to clean the rims of any gunk. I take care to only get the rag on the rims and nothing else (brakes!). I was wiping down after every ride, but have no problem going a spell between wipes without much additional effort required.

Also I do wipe excess chain lube when doing chain maintenance.  My chain routine.  Clean chain just after ride; wipe chain; lube chain with wax based lube; let dry; wipe excess; Ride again!

• Premium Member

One rider recently warned about the use of WD-40. Said to be careful as it began to strip the paint on his wheels...

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

Labor of love to me. I love keeping my bike clean and I love my neon wheels :) every time I lube my chain I just assume after my first ride I clean them and then they are generally good for a while. I use a generic wheel cleaner from auto zone works great wipes right off.

Isn't it wonderful how we differ :) I love riding my bikes, but cleaning them is something I consider a loss of precious time from short life. So unless I'm caught in rain, I usually wash my bike twice per season. Dust don't harm anything, but constant cleaning do take its toll on paint and hosing the bike down will allow water to work its way into electrical connectors and eventually also cause corrosion. All that said, I can appreciate a clean vehicle as much as anybody - as long as I don't have to spend the time keeping it that way :D

number one, if it needs to be said, WD-40 is really not a lubricant, its a cleaner/penetrating oil. It is OK for anti corrosion use, but it does not last long. better to clean your chain with it or kerosene, dry it then apply a chain wax. However the yellow rims just get dirty and show it more. I like cleaning my bike once a week, not always stem to stern, but keep it presentable, besides it gives me a goo reason to examine for loose nuts bolts and other anomalies. Washing a car or bike every day is thew worst thing you can do for a vehicle. so to counteract my sometimes overzealous clean obsession I treated my bike with ACF-50 anti corrosion formula. actually I now use ACF-50 before the chain wax and it keeps the chain from spot rusting after a long wet ride.
https://fz07.org/post/116060

Keep WD40 and other lubes with that low viscosity away from your chains. It will over time find it's way past the O rings and dissolve the grease in there resulting in stiff links. Wd40 is mostly cerosene and will dissolve thicker lubes.
I use mineral SAE 90 transmission oil on the chain, wet it good with the oil and use a rug to wipe it off together with the dirt leaving a clean and well lubed chain.
Can't tip on how to keep yellow rims clean though, mine's black.

I used to think the same until an Aussie on another forum told us he got 77,000 km (48,000 mi) out of his sprockets and chain using WD40. He was more religious than me, wiping down the chain (for cleaining) and lubing followed by wiping off the excess after each ride, typically every 300 km / 200 mi. I do it maybe 3 times as seldom.

The main lubricant is the one inside the chain. That taken care of by the O or X-rings, the next most important thing is to keep things clean. If you can live with the racket, you can easily do 20,000 miles on a chain and sprocket without ever lubing the chain if you only ride in dry climates. Using a little bit of light lube will keep things silent and clean.

However, this is another topic like engine oil or brake fluid or shifting gears with(out) the clutch and so on; people have strong opinions, often based on personal experiences. So my advice to everyone is to make their own conclusions based on what you read and your own experience. In other words, do not take my words as gospel, it's only what I personally do.

Labor of love to me. I love keeping my bike clean and I love my neon wheels :) every time I lube my chain I just assume after my first ride I clean them and then they are generally good for a while. I use a generic wheel cleaner from auto zone works great wipes right off.
I'm the same way. My car is always spotless and now the bike is. just a quick wipe of bugs and other road gunk after every ride and a quick wipe of the rear wheel. Regular wheel cleaner has been working well for me.

I just bought my bike, and I have the same wheels.
What I did was apply the same product I use on my car and car wheels. It's called Optimum Opti-Seal. It works on Paint, Plastics, Wheels, etc. It actually seals the surface off from dirt/dust, and all. The wheels will still get dirty, but you'll find that a simple wipe of the wheels will clean them. Another side benefit is that it provides a nice shine or slickness to the surface you cover. Also, it's a product you use [strong]very[/strong] sparingly. As in, one spray onto a foam pad and do the entire wheel. The single bottle is a little pricey, but it lasts forever.
There are a couple good YouTube videos out there that demonstrate its effectiveness, too.
Optimum Opti-Seal

People have mentioned this in earlier threads about chain lube and I've been meaning to buy some when my wax based chain lube is gone. It is a dry chain lube that doesn't throw excess everywhere and should help to keep your wheels clean/cleaner.

https://www.amazon.com/DuPont/b/ref=w_bl_hsx_s_sp_web_10209638011?ie=UTF8&node=10209638011&field-lbr_brands_browse-bin=DuPont

Beemer

To clean the rims: just use kerosene on a rag if you have it. It cuts through grease and dirt. Wipe afterwards with a clean rag.

Lube: I use Maxima Chain Wax, no flinging if you apply it after your ride and let it set. I will probably buy Motul Chain Paste after the Maxima runs out, it is wax in a tube/applicator form.

My understanding is that WD40 is based on fish oil and is primarily a water repellant.

Just do it! 

hugson2wheels
My understanding is that WD40 is based on fish oil and is primarily a water repellant.

Heh... Nice! You're kidding right? This made me chuckle.

If god created us in his image, does that mean god is an egomaniac as well?

Heh... Nice! You're kidding right? This made me chuckle.
Not kidding, no. I worry a little for those using it as a lubricant, but not too much because it seems to cause no harm (perhaps it does job that too). You can look it up in wikipedia.

Just do it! 

People have mentioned this in earlier threads about chain lube and I've been meaning to buy some when my wax based chain lube is gone. It is a dry chain lube that doesn't throw excess everywhere and should help to keep your wheels clean/cleaner. 
https://www.amazon.com/DuPont/b/ref=w_bl_hsx_s_sp_web_10209638011?ie=UTF8&node=10209638011&field-lbr_brands_browse-bin=DuPont

I have been using Dupont Chain Saver for years. First heard of it back in 2011 while riding my Versys. Been using it on every bike since. Very little fling. 

• Premium Member
botticelli

I use Hopes [HASH]9 gun bore cleaner to clean the wheels. It takes everything off, just like the kerosene, but its easier to work with. I'm warning you now though it has a strong smell so do it outside.

I just put it on a rag and wipe the wheels down, after the wheels are clean, teflon spray em and the crap wont stick.

As many have said. wd40 and wipe wipe wipe it off.

'16 FZ07

Archived