The MT-07 Forum

R6 Front end swap and rear ride height

striple

Hi,

I race an R6 and just happen to have a complete front end lying about as spares and my brother has bought an MT-07 (we're in the UK). As I understand it, it should just be a straight swap with a different top bearing needed? Does anyone know what size bearing we'd require or can link to where I could buy it.
Also does anyone know the length of the dogbones on the AP rear ride height adjuster? Or just how much shorter than stock length they need to be. I know someone in a machine shop and they don't look too hard to make up and would be cheaper to get one made up here than paying to get one sent over I imagine.

Thanks for any and all help!

Are you going to post a build thread for the r92mt07 fork swap?
I had all the measurements but lost them when my OS system SSD bricked itself. ( Tony Foale's suspension software app and the data was on the OS drive. I should kinow better. The data is now stored on a data drive but lost 2 days of measurement)
Here is an Aussie site that sells em and may be advantageous price wise for you. http://extremecreations.com.au/mt-07-jack-up-plates. That is the one I ended up using. They also supply ( extra) the bearings which is a big plus from when I bought it and had to swap the originals.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

I might take photos throughout and put it all up at the end. That's a shame mate would have been good info! Thanks for that, do you know what bearing is needed for the head stock to work with the R6 front end?

No idea on the bearing. Haven't had that apart yet. The 07 has taken a back seat while I try and find time for my updating a GS500 project.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• 1 month later...
versysrider

All balls racing.com has a steering head bearing conversion chart. I wrote down some figures from their chart and my notes say that the 2001 - 2005 R 6 has the same bearing top and bottom as the FZ - 07 does. The 2006 - 20016 R 6 has a different size bottom bearing. Also from what I understand the R 6 steering stem needs to be lengthened a bit.

If you do the front end swap, please do a complete write up with pics, and all the mods made to complete the swap.

My notes show that bearing part numbers are: fz-07 top bearing 99-3518-5, bottom is 99-3519-5

2001 to 2005 R6, same top and bottom.

2006 to 20016 R6, same top bearing, bottom bearing is 99-3538

Hope that helps, I'd double check their site to make sure of the numbers though.

'16 Yamaha FZ-07, '15 Yamaha FZ-09

• Premium Member
All balls racing.com has a steering head bearing conversion chart. I wrote down some figures from their chart and my notes say that the 2001 - 2005 R 6 has the same bearing top and bottom as the FZ - 07 does. The 2006 - 20016 R 6 has a different size bottom bearing. Also from what I understand the R 6 steering stem needs to be lengthened a bit.  
If you do the front end swap, please do a complete write up with pics, and all the mods made to complete the swap.

My notes show that bearing part numbers are: fz-07 top bearing 99-3518-5, bottom is 99-3519-5

2001 to 2005 R6, same top and bottom.

2006 to 20016 R6, same top bearing, bottom bearing is 99-3538

Hope that helps, I'd double check their site to make sure of the numbers though.

Good info. Interesting to note, the 01-04 have RSU forks, with 05 having usd forks. I wonder if the 05 tripples are a one of a kind for the 05 year, since in 06 the bearings change so I assume the tripples too.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

versysrider

Thanks. They also sold the R6-s for a few years which was basically the older YZF 600 carried over with RSU forks, which also used the same bearings as the FZ. Might just be a mistake in my notes, or on allballs site about the '05 using both of the same bearings as the FZ.

'16 Yamaha FZ-07, '15 Yamaha FZ-09

• 5 months later...

Im interested as well has this been worked on? Im seeing some complete R6 2008+ front ends, except for the wheel, for under $1000 on ebay. 

Archived