The MT-07 Forum

FZ-07 at the North West 200 this week....

blackout

• Premium Member

Hope he does well.  A lot of hard work has gone into his bike over the off season.

I wish I could understand spanish.  His videos are quite complete with a wealth of information, but most of them do not have english subtitles.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

Thats RC8R bodywork, looks awesome as hell. I can't figure out what tank that is though.
It's a kwaki ER650 tank, the body work was pirated from his factory KTM he used to race then used on his ER650, now moved to his FZ 
ER650

antonio_maeso_2012.jpg

His KTM

antonio_maeso_tt_man_ktm_080512.jpg

free temporary image hosting

• Premium Member

The results have his bike listed as a Kawasaki....

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member

I'm pleasantly surprised that there's people on here that even know what the NW- 200 is. I've been lucky enough to attended the NW-200 in 2010 for the entire week, what an event to witness in person. I haven't researched this guy running with this machine but I'm almost certain the FZ doesn't meet the scrutineer"s satisfaction, I'll look it up. Anyway, I hope your all watching the racing tomorrow morning bright and early on BBC/NI or you can catch it on their Facebook page also it's on live- feed worldwide. Good luck to you all and thank you for bringing this to the forum, btw where are you all from? Those of you on this thread. I'm Irish living in the south here in the U.S.A

• Premium Member

Why would the Fz07 not meet the rules? I know he is running the 650cc limited displacement motor. Frame and swing arm are stock. Not sure if the forks are yamaha, but I think those need to be Yamaha. I would know so much more if i could understand Spanish. Lol

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member

you just hit the nail on the head, I was referring to the motor, 689cc is over the capacity they allow. Im sure the forks are Yamaha,  frame and swing-arm. there was a guy on thursday practice who came out on an sv650 that looked almost completely stock other than the pipe and tires, he even had the stock handle bars, funny seeing him next to the other bikes with his arms and upper body so high up.

It's an Australian spec 649cc mt07. (de-stroked version of the rest of the world's motor for licensing restrictions).

The back story on this bike is he entered and ran it last year in the NW200 as a Kawasaki because the rules forbade the yamaha due to engine capacity. The neutered Assie version was not public knowledge at the time. When he finished the race it was immediately impounded by tech as an illegal entry and torn down for inspection. Weren't they surprised when it passed. They kept it impounded for several months while he petitioned the rules committee for a rules change to allow this homologation into the race. He ultimately won his appeal and his bike was returned but he lost much of his build time for this years race.
Last year's bike made approx 78hp after his mods. This year's version is up 10 horse and down 10 more kg over last year's entry. The 'Kawasaki'  listed on race reg is a typo carry over from last year. He's in officially as a legit Yamaha this year. He's still down on power compared to the Kawasaki's 95hp however so it's an uphill battle.

The forks are yamaha R1 forks in custom tripples. The wheels are stock fz07 with custom adapters. He's quite a machinist and backroom engineer. He's been racing since childhood and has forgotten more than I'll ever know about the sport.

Side note on the short throw crank is its becoming a thing for racers and engine builders. They use the short throw crank and overbore pistons to stay within cc spec limits and raise red line in the process. They can also move the power curve up as well which is beneficial for most forms of racing.

I'm pleasantly surprised that there's people on here that even know what the NW- 200 is. I've been lucky enough to attended the NW-200 in 2010 for the entire week, what an event to witness in person. I haven't researched this guy running with this machine but I'm almost certain the FZ doesn't meet the scrutineer"s satisfaction, I'll look it up. Anyway, I hope your all watching the racing tomorrow morning bright and early on BBC/NI or you can catch it on their Facebook page also it's on live- feed worldwide. Good luck to you all and thank you for bringing this to the forum, btw where are you all from? Those of you on this thread. I'm Irish living in the south here in the U.S.A
I'm in northern Minnesota. Antonio is a Spaniard and a friend of mine. He began as a short course racer but fell in love with Road Racing as it's called over there several years ago. They call our north american form of racing short/long track racing in comparison.  The fact that he even racing at all any more is a testimony to his love of the sport and force of spirit. He is still recovering from a near fatal crash a couple years ago that exploded his leg when he clipped a rock wall at full tilt with his knee.  
P.S. I would already have the results posted but we are just returning from our own season opener at Brainerd International Raceway. 

Archived