The MT-07 Forum

Helmets

ccam7374

Just looking for some feedback. I am looking at getting the Icon Variant Ghost carbon, and/or the Shoei Rf-1200. I have owned Icon products in the past and have been happy with Icons product. Please anyone who would like to chime in and state your opinion on either helmet would be great. Thanks

All approved helmets are safe. In fact, I've seen evidence that plastic helmets are safer in most cases over carbon or glass fibre helmets because the shell can absorb more of the impact by bending. So what you are looking for is comfort. Does the helmet sit high enough to let you see freely, or does it sit down low over your brow? Does it put pressure that feels unconfortable enough to give you pains? Does it fit snugly so that it won't rattle around in turbulence or risk coming off in case of a crash? How is it to take on and remove? Can you remove the interior for cleaning? That sort of thing. Usually, you will know instantly when a helmet is right or wrong. For me, only one thing is mandatory; double D-rings. The rest is just about fit and feel/comfort. As a result, I have never bought a Shoei because they put pressure in all the wrong places and gives me pain within seconds. Others swear by them. It's down to the shape of your noggin, basically.

I have had many different lids and the rf-1200 is the best one I have had to date. Cant really comment on the icon, but I used to be an Arai guy til I put the Shoei on my head. It is extremely quiet in my riding position, the graphics are the best I have seen on a lid, the visor is simple to remove and fog free with the pin lock, it fits my head better than any other I have put on, I like the SNELL rating, and it vents air very well. It may be the only lid I have had that I cannot really find anything that I would change. With all that said, find the lid that fits your head the best and and you will be happy.

Dan

Just looking for some feedback. I am looking at getting the Icon Variant Ghost carbon, and/or the Shoei Rf-1200. I have owned Icon products in the past and have been happy with Icons product. Please anyone who would like to chime in and state your opinion on either helmet would be great. Thanks
Icon makes some pretty good value helmets for sure. For me since you mention the RF-1200, I would go with the Shoei all the way. It's in a different class given the R&D behind it, build quality and materials. However whichever route you choose just make sure it fits RIGHT.

• Premium Member
I have had many different lids and the rf-1200 is the best one I have had to date. Cant really comment on the icon, but I used to be an Arai guy til I put the Shoei on my head. It is extremely quiet in my riding position, the graphics are the best I have seen on a lid, the visor is simple to remove and fog free with the pin lock, it fits my head better than any other I have put on, I like the SNELL rating, and it vents air very well. It may be the only lid I have had that I cannot really find anything that I would change. With all that said, find the lid that fits your head the best and and you will be happy.  
Dan
What he said. They're pricey but my face/brain's health is worth it.
<edit> That being said I've never used an Icon Variant.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Fitment to your headshape is way more important that brand or features. I know Shoei is intermediate oval, on the rounder side. I'm guessing the Icon is slightly longer. Either way, you need to try them on to know which works better for you.

If they truly fit identically to you, the Shoei has better features and looks better, but that is just one jerk's opinion.

Links to save you the trouble hahaha

Shoei RF-1200
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/shoei-rf-1200-helmet-solid

Icon Variant Ghost Carbon
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/icon-variant-ghost-carbon-helmet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most important question is: have you personally tried these helmets yourself? They're different head shapes and are usually the deal breakers if you're picking one or the other. This is your safety and comfort after all, you should get the one that fits properly.

I was originally deciding between the Arai DefiantHJC RPHA 10 Pro, and Shoei RF-1200. Went to a Cycle Gear and tried all three. The Shoei fitted the best, felt the most comfortable, and had all the features I wanted. No amount of YouTube videos or forum opinions could have decided that for me.

You do you and I'll do me.

• Global Moderator

I have heard good things about lidpicker.com for finding out the best fitting helmets for your head if you are buying online. I have not tried it but plan to when I need a new helmet. If anyone has used it please let us know how it worked.

I currently own a variant. So first let's get this out of the way, it looks badass lol. Especially with a mirrored visor. It comes down to your head shape, and how much you willing to pay. I got a size large for the variant but after I broke it in, it feels kinda loose. On windy days there is buffering, on the freeway. On the streets, no issue. The visor isn't the easiest to change, requires a little tool. I love the compliments I get on the helmet. If your a long oval, or intermediate, try on a hjc rpha 11 pro https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/hjc-rpha-11-helmet
The lightest helmet I have ever tried on, 3lb 2oz if I'm not mistaken. For $200 more you can get a Spider-Man, venom and some Star Wars graphics. The venom will probably be my next helmet. If I stick with icon I will get the airframe pro https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/icon-airframe-pro-helmet
Also pretty light weight.
Both suggested helmets received REVZILLA awards ZLA

• 3 weeks later...

I have the RF-1200 (that it in my forum pic, actually). I love it. Best helmet I've ever worn. I have also owned a Shoei Neotec (nice but heavy), Icon Airmada (okay), and Speed & Strength SS1500. It was worth the cost, I will say that. It vents really nicely, it cools well. You can adjust how tightly the faceshield seals. Shield change is super easy, too. I think, as long as you are not wanting the helmet profile of the Variant, that you would be happier with the Shoei over the Icon--assuming it fits your head shape. I have not tried on a Variant. The Airmada and the RF-1200 are a similar shape though (intermediate/long oval).

Good luck, and let us know what you settle on!

Archived