The MT-07 Forum

Wolfpen Gap

dirtsampler

dirtsampler

Took my first ride on my new-to-me FZ-07 up to Wolfpen Gap.  What great roads we have in the North Georgia mountains!  A little cold in the morning, though. It has been so long since my last streetbike ride that I forgot to do the mental math regarding how much colder it feels at speed.  Definitely needed a base layer, but by mid-morning, it was much more comfortable.  Along my route I was disappointed to find that Rider's Hill and Turner's Corner Cafe were both shuttered.  It's a shame, but at least Two Wheels Only was thriving.  Big ADV bike contingent there, along with this oddity:

Truck_box_Harley.jpg

upload photograph

I think I overheard her tell the guy she's talking to that she uses it to store the dead body of her ex-husband! (rofl)   BTW, is there some historical joke regarding the location of the bathrooms at Two Wheels Only? I tried following the arrows posted inside, but all they ever led me to was outside, and any structure I saw that could have been a bathroom was padlocked. Maybe you're just supposed to use a tree?  :-/   I was too timid to ask someone for fear of being the butt of some joke. Maybe I'll figure it out next time.  Enjoyed my cup of coffee and then moved on.

Hope everyone else out there had a safe and enjoyable ride this past weekend!

• Global Moderator

Nice, thanks for sharing.

I cant help think of this clip when someone mentions the Georgia mountains. :D

[video src=https://youtu.be/gsC4kf6x_Q0]

dirtsampler

That's a good one! I think you have to turn down at least one dirt road before you find that type of mountain folk. Maybe the ADV guys have run into some, but I'll stick to the paved roads just to be safe!

• Global Moderator

Fun fact: One arm of the banjo playing boy in the movie is not his.

They were actually looking for an Albino to play the role, but found this mentally challenged boy who was perfect except for the fact that he could not play the instrument. So they had someone else sitting behind playing the chords with one arm reaching around his side.  The boy did do the picking.

The things you learn on FZ07.org (rofl)

That's a good one! I think you have to turn down at least one dirt road before you find that type of mountain folk. Maybe the ADV guys have run into some, but I'll stick to the paved roads just to be safe!
Yeah, those backwoods, Georgia musicians will make you squeal with delight! ;) 

Beemer

dirtsampler

Yeah, those backwoods, Georgia musicians will make you squeal with delight! ;)
They also have quite an affection for attractive facial features! :o

• 2 months later...
  • Premium Member

I live in Tennessee and am always looking for new roads to ride. Could you elaborate a little more as to what roads you were riding, and do you have a loop the will bring you back to a central/starting point?

Took my first ride on my new-to-me FZ-07 up to Wolfpen Gap.  What great roads we have in the North Georgia mountains!  A little cold in the morning, though. It has been so long since my last streetbike ride that I forgot to do the mental math regarding how much colder it feels at speed.  Definitely needed a base layer, but by mid-morning, it was much more comfortable.  Along my route I was disappointed to find that Rider's Hill and Turner's Corner Cafe were both shuttered.  It's a shame, but at least Two Wheels Only was thriving.  Big ADV bike contingent there, along with this oddity: 

Truck_box_Harley.jpg

upload photograph

I think I overheard her tell the guy she's talking to that she uses it to store the dead body of her ex-husband! (rofl)   BTW, is there some historical joke regarding the location of the bathrooms at Two Wheels Only? I tried following the arrows posted inside, but all they ever led me to was outside, and any structure I saw that could have been a bathroom was padlocked. Maybe you're just supposed to use a tree?  :-/   I was too timid to ask someone for fear of being the butt of some joke. Maybe I'll figure it out next time.  Enjoyed my cup of coffee and then moved on.

Hope everyone else out there had a safe and enjoyable ride this past weekend!

The bathroom from the restaurant are outside on the porch of the restaurant area. If your looking at the front door you'd go left follow it around and they are right there on the right side right by a door that leads back inside. There's also a decent size building in the back for the campers to go to the bathroom that also has showers. To get to that if your on the concrete entrance area follow the trail that goes on the right side of the restaurant area and you'll go over the bridge keep going till you cross over the stream again it's dead ahead its larger than the cabins so biggest building out back. Super easy to spot once you realize it's the large one.

Source: go there often when I have free time love the large loop! Great place to camp before a day of riding.

dirtsampler

@scottygat - Here's a link to a map of a route that hits six different North Georgia mountain gaps; arguably some of the best roads in North Georgia: Map of Six Gaps

@koselig - Thanks for the directions! I finally got up the courage to ask where they were on my second trip up to TWoS and was successful in my ultimate hunt for the bathroom!  :D

Nice, thanks for sharing. 
I cant help think of this clip when someone mentions the Georgia mountains. :D

[video src=https://youtu.be/gsC4kf6x_Q0]

Funny but truth be known, in Georgia you are more likely to have your palate molested with some good, apple cider, Georgia, bar-b-que. (singing/banjo) Cali is the place that ya don't wanna be so you load up the truck and ya move from Beverly!  ;)  

Beemer

Archived