The MT-07 Forum

Pricing and dealer markup

rweakley

Just wondering if any of you got great deals on one of these new?  I bought a '15 and feel like I got ripped, paying above MSRP after dealer setup/markup fees.  I got slammed by an oncoming dude who "didn't see" me and turned left right in front of me.  The bike got totaled and now I'm looking to replace it a year later.

The local dealer has a bunch of 16s left and marked them down $1,990 to $5k.  Then they add $1,760 back on and it's right back up to damn near MSRP on a last years' model (keeping in mind we're 5 months into the new year).  They refuse to budge at all on price.  Nada.  I walked out and they didn't seem to care.

Called back on the phone and tried to meet in the middle and they refused to negotiate.  I'm relatively new to the motorcycle world, but have bought vehicles before.  Is this just the way it is w/bikes?  I'd never pay sticker for a car or truck.

Ahh man, sorry about your FZ-07! Glad you're okay and getting another one =)

If you've gotten cars and bikes from dealerships before then it's the same game. They're a business and they need to make profit as well. MSRP is just the suggested price and, just like with cars, there are a bajillion fees that get added to the base number.

As for your budget, you've got to consider basic economics: supply and demand. Right now, these new FZ-07's are in high demand in the US, it's riding season, and the dealerships know it.

If you want to pay less, buy used/older year/leftover inventory or go out of your area where the demand for FZ-07 isn't so high and the dealerships are more willing to wiggle.

Just focus on the OTD price and save yourself the surprise hahaha

You might find this useful. There's a price report thread on the forum: https://fz07.org/thread/24/fz-07-pricing-thread

You do you and I'll do me.

blankcheese

In my experience they either:

A. Start low, then add every setup/doc/freight fee known to man
B. Start higher and claim they are waiving fees they normally charge

Popular bike, tax refund season, good riding weather. And if you're in a hot market, there's no free lunch.

Just wondering if any of you got great deals on one of these new?  I bought a '15 and feel like I got ripped, paying above MSRP after dealer setup/markup fees.  I got slammed by an oncoming dude who "didn't see" me and turned left right in front of me.  The bike got totaled and now I'm looking to replace it a year later. 
The local dealer has a bunch of 16s left and marked them down $1,990 to $5k.  Then they add $1,760 back on and it's right back up to damn near MSRP on a last years' model (keeping in mind we're 5 months into the new year).  They refuse to budge at all on price.  Nada.  I walked out and they didn't seem to care.

Called back on the phone and tried to meet in the middle and they refused to negotiate.  I'm relatively new to the motorcycle world, but have bought vehicles before.  Is this just the way it is w/bikes?  I'd never pay sticker for a car or truck.

Hello. I'm gonna assume you went to Temecula Motorsports considering that $1760 fee. They tried to do the same thing to me last year for a '15. If you get financed through a bank first you have more leverage. Your basically paying cash in their eyes. If your willing to travel the dealership is Rancho Cucamonga, it's a Yamaha exclusive dealer was willing to let me walk out the door at $7400.

Hello. I'm gonna assume you went to Temecula Motorsports considering that $1760 fee. They tried to do the same thing to me last year for a '15. If you get financed through a bank first you have more leverage. Your basically paying cash in their eyes. If your willing to travel the dealership is Rancho Cucamonga, it's a Yamaha exclusive dealer was willing to let me walk out the door at $7400.
I bought a 15 used off a guy yesterday. It was Temecula Motorsports, and I offered to pay cash. They wouldn't budge a penny. Oh well. I'll ride then used bike for a few years and maybe trade up.

I bought a 15 used off a guy yesterday. It was Temecula Motorsports, and I offered to pay cash. They wouldn't budge a penny. Oh well. I'll ride then used bike for a few years and maybe trade up.

Yeah they are full of it. I yelped review them, the guy I was working with was extremely rude. The general manager called me within a few hours that my review was posted, because I pulled the sheet off of their whole operation, very detailed review. He begged me to take it down and tried to bribe me, I told him politely to kiss my ass. I always try to deter someone from that dealership.

You did the right thing, you walked out. Best to leave them a name/# just in case they do decide to come off the price, they might call you back. Have you considered a good used FZ-07 with low miles? you can get some really good deals with used bikes and they sometimes have aftermarket stuff on them @ no extra charge, depending of course. Cycle Trader, Craigslist and people usually aren't the hard core dicks dealerships can be on prices. It's worth a look see.

Beemer

Archived