The MT-07 Forum

Painting foot guards flat black

jhonore

• Global Moderator

That looks good @ducttapewd40. I am surprised that they are holding up that well after so many miles. Maybe I should rethink painting...of course with my painting skills perhaps it would just be better to buy black ones.

• Premium Member
Just an FYI: The 2017 US Model "Rapid Red" [strong]ABS[/strong] model comes with Silver not Black. At least mine did anyway. The Red non-ABS model must be different?
That is odd.  I saw a red ABS one at the dealership and I am sure it had black ones.  The website photos show it with black too.  Are you sure the dealership did not swap yours?
They may have for all I know. I got it from the dealer with zero miles. Before I posted I double-checked the pics of my bike .... and they're silver. Are you sure the one you were looking at was ABS and not just a red non-abs model?
I'm at work right now or I could post another picture. :)

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

ducttapewd40
That looks good @ducttapewd40 . I am surprised that they are holding up that well after so many miles. Maybe I should rethink painting...of course with my painting skills perhaps it would just be better to buy black ones.
Thanks, I'm no expert with a spray can myself but I just did it in the middle of winter so I had plenty of time to be a little meticulous about it.  I had taken everything off with the intention of getting them powdercoated but I couldn't get all the plastic and rubber bits off for the baking process without worrying about damaging them.  Plus the visible plastic piece of the frame cover wouldn't match afterwards.  So I figured I'd give painting a shot and just sandblast it back off and go ahead with the powdercoating if I wasn't happy with the results.  I might end up re-doing it every few years, but that'll only cost maybe $10 and give me something to do during the winter.

• Global Moderator

@DewMan, I am fairly sure it was an ABS model. When I check the parts list both the red ones (ABS and non-ABS) show the same part number, and it is different than the ones I know have silver. I think someone at the dealership may have wanted your black panels...

That looks good @ducttapewd40 . I am surprised that they are holding up that well after so many miles. Maybe I should rethink painting...of course with my painting skills perhaps it would just be better to buy black ones.
Thanks, I'm no expert with a spray can myself but I just did it in the middle of winter so I had plenty of time to be a little meticulous about it.  I had taken everything off with the intention of getting them powdercoated but I couldn't get all the plastic and rubber bits off for the baking process without worrying about damaging them.  Plus the visible plastic piece of the frame cover wouldn't match afterwards.  So I figured I'd give painting a shot and just sandblast it back off and go ahead with the powdercoating if I wasn't happy with the results.  I might end up re-doing it every few years, but that'll only cost maybe $10 and give me something to do during the winter.

When I did mine, it was really easy. Watch vids on YouTube about spraying with a can. I recommend doing light coats, until you have full coverage. At least 4 to 5 coats should do the trick, more is always better.

• Premium Member
@dewman , I am fairly sure it was an ABS model. When I check the parts list both the red ones (ABS and non-ABS) show the same part number, and it is different than the ones I know have silver. I think someone at the dealership may have wanted your black panels...
Very Interesting. Thanks for the information. My ABS model may be unique in that regard then.  This picture was taken a couple hours after getting it home from the dealer. :) 
OEM_RIght_small.jpg

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Global Moderator

Yours are black. I am talking about the piece in front of the heal guard that covers the frame. That is silver on my bike and I like the black better.

• Premium Member
Yours are black. I am talking about the piece in front of the heal guard that covers the frame. That is silver on my bike and I like the black better.
Well I'm glad we got that cleared up. :) My apologies for assuming that the heal guard was the foot guard. I'll shut up now.  Carry on.   

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Global Moderator

@dewman , I am glad we sorted that out too. It is easy to assume everyone is talking about the same thing, especially when I am not really sure what the name of the part I was talking about is :)    It does definitely look better in black on the red bike.

• 8 months later...
On 6/8/2017 at 9:57 AM, mjh937 said:

These are the side covers
1WS-27453-10-00
1WS-27463-10-00
And this is the round cover that is at the bottom
1WS-27475-00-P0

I know this thread is a little old, but you're sure these are the black ones?

• Global Moderator
2 hours ago, hofstetm said:

I know this thread is a little old, but you're sure these are the black ones?

Yes.  As you can see from my profile photo I ordered and installed them.

2 hours ago, mjh937 said:

Yes.  As you can see from my profile photo I ordered and installed them.

Perfect, thanks! Did you just transfer the black lower cap and adheasive (there's adheasive under the black cap), or buy new? 

• Global Moderator

I had silver ones so I had to buy black caps.  They do just stick on and you do not need to remove the ones that are on the bike to get the larger part off. 

5 minutes ago, mjh937 said:

I had silver ones so I had to buy black caps.  They do just stick on and you do not need to remove the ones that are on the bike to get the larger part off. 

Great, thanks for the quick response. Ordering them now!

Archived