The MT-07 Forum

Painting foot guards flat black

jhonore

I have a 2015 red fz07. I don't really like the silver. Gonna paint my foot guards, if that that's what it is called, flat black using duplicolor spray can. Has anyone done this before? I'm gonna sand it down using 600 grit wet sand paper, clean, and start painting. Wish it would have just came black from the factory. I think the grey and highlighter yellow already come black.

Post a pic please

I'm done painting. Came out really good. Will post pics once I install them back on tomorrow.

Post a pic please

I posted it on the cali forum on Facebook. Was way easier to post the pics ?

Post a pic please

Posting pics here is easy as hell. Just click the "add image to post" button and upload the pics. It even dumps the pic code into your post for you.

Posting pics here is easy as hell. Just click the "add image to post" button and upload the pics. It even dumps the pic code into your post for you. There are like 6000 people here who aren't in the cali facebook group.  
Plus, unlike Facebook, we don't spy on your browsing history and sell it to marketing companies.

Post a pic please

IMG_1954.jpg

IMG_1962.jpg

IMG_1961.jpg

IMG_1960.jpg

IMG_1958.jpg

IMG_1957.jpg

IMG_1956.jpg

custom pint booth using my daughters table ?

• Global Moderator

Let us know how they stand up. I am curious if the paint wears off with use.

Let us know how they stand up. I am curious if the paint wears off with use.

If they wear off, don't know why it would, its car paint, I will update this post.

Very nice. I am almost tempted to do the same.

Yeah definitely paint it. I picked up a can of matte black duplicolor from autozone for under $10. Tip. Don't do thick coats. Light coats for every layer. When reassembling the rear brake side. Take your time. Lining up the master cycling with the backing plate, which is spring loaded with the foot guards can be a little difficult, scratched a little paint off where the screw goes. Not noticeable unless you really look at it up close.

Sort of on a related note... I plastidipped these parts black and it began to wrinkle [most likely due to heat].

If anyone is leaning towards plasti-dip, I'd recommend a regular paint or better yet, high-heat/temp paint instead.

Sort of on a related note... I plastidipped these parts black and it began to wrinkle [most likely due to heat].  
If anyone is leaning towards plasti-dip, I'd recommend a regular paint or better yet, high-heat/temp paint instead.

Yeah I was considering plasti dip, then thought about it peeling. I've been riding it for over a week now, a few hundred miles. It's holding up great so far.

sansnombre

FWIW - you absolutely will have problems with how they look as the surfaces get abraded by your foot/shoe/leg movement. It's only a matter of time. Any spray can of paint has thinners and other additives to make the paint flow well, and it's nowhere near as durable as auto paint sprayed from a traditional setup. You might try painting over it with clear - that will help for a while, but it will give you a glossier finish.

I purchased the black parts for one of the other years and just replaced them on my bike. Wasn't too expensive and I didn't have to take the time to spray, etc.

Good luck with it.

I like painting things myself, it's fun. Just be careful with it.

huffer.jpg <<< don't end up like this paint lover!

Beemer

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

[attachment id=2516" thumbnail="1]

I just painted my side guards and a bit more, looks awesome and no issues after 3 weeks.
I should of painted the shifter as well, rear break came out really good.

I tried to vinyl wrap mine over the weekend. I ended up messing it up and removing it. I'll try it again if I get some free time. It's a challenging wrap job, but it should work as I've wrapped more difficult parts.

Anybody have any experience powder coating these parts? I think that's what I'm gonna do.

If your willing to powder coat them you might as well just buy them in black from the dealer, unless you meant a different color then powder coating would hold up well. The highlighter yellow comes with them stock. The mate black would match the rest of the bike better anyways. Probably around the same price too

• Global Moderator

New black ones are $41 each. The 2017 red bike come with black covers too. I am thinking I might order a pair of them. I will post photos if I do.

• Global Moderator

These are the side covers
1WS-27453-10-00
1WS-27463-10-00
And this is the round cover that is at the bottom
1WS-27475-00-P0

• Premium Member
New black ones are $41 each. The 2017 red bike come with black covers too. I am thinking I might order a pair of them. I will post photos if I do.
Just an FYI: The 2017 US Model "Rapid Red" [strong]ABS[/strong] model comes with Silver not Black. At least mine did anyway. The Red non-ABS model must be different? 

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Global Moderator
Just an FYI: The 2017 US Model "Rapid Red" [strong]ABS[/strong] model comes with Silver not Black. At least mine did anyway. The Red non-ABS model must be different?
That is odd.  I saw a red ABS one at the dealership and I am sure it had black ones.  The website photos show it with black too.  Are you sure the dealership did not swap yours?

Archived