The MT-07 Forum

ducati monster 797

martyinaustin

martyinaustin

once again, the gods smiled upon us in Austin and the local Ducati dealership had demo rides all weekend.  this year i tried the Monster 797 as a more/less direct competitor or crossgrade for my FZ-07.

nope.  fun bike.  glad i got it out of my system.  maybe i'll try the SS someday, but i love my FZ so much more.  yeah, the Duc had a way better seat and was so stable.  i was trying to "wiggle" side to side on the seat to see if the motorcycle would be "wiggly" and it was solid as hell.   my FZ wiggles right along w/ me.  i missed the engine breaking and the fast pick up of my FZ also.  that said, i don't know what "Riding mode" i was in....stupid dash input system is not easy at all.  also, really hard to find neutral for some reason.

next up (someday) a Street Triple demo...should one ever arise!!!!

marty

• Global Moderator

Do not demo the Street Triple. I have a friend with one and it is a great bike. The new one must be incredible. You do not want to know :)

• 3 months later...
firstyammerha

I posted my experience today at the local Ducati/BMW dealer where I went to check the Monster 797 out. The dealer price tag was $11000 on the two that he had on the floor. Documentation fee was $250 and representative of all the other fees he was charging. I looked at a BMW S1000R and it was marked for $18000. I asked in my other post if Triumph dealers did the same thing on the Street Triple.

Do not demo the Street Triple. I have a friend with one and it is a great bike. The new one must be incredible. You do not want to know :)
Agreed. 

dont_go_into_the_light_Carolanne.jpg

Beemer

firstyammerha

Being from a sales background, I understand the goal of getting whatever the market will bear for your product. Looking back at my FZ07 purchase last November, the otd door price was close to $8200. A month ago, this FZ07 was showing a asking price of $5700. Both dealers were charging around $300 for transportation costs. My former employer was a national electrical distributor with a dedicated traffic department who knew how to negotiate with vendors and we would pay $100 to ship a 400lb. drum of hazardous chemical from one side of the country to the other. Of course, we didn't pass these savings on to our customers. As a consumer, I'll wait for the initial buying frenzy to die down and revisit the shop in February.

The new street triple RS is awesome. The local dealership has been having demo days every couple of weeks and bringing out all the triumph lines to ride. at $12.5K I want one. I am just going to wait until the off season and see if I can buy used.

• Premium Member

Haha, I test rode the Monster after I had the FZ for a year or so. You should see the faces of my friends in the Duc group when I tell them the monster isn't any better than the FZ. LOL.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

The RS is almost too much bike for the street. You have to wind it up to 11,000 rpm to get into the peak power, who can do that on the street? Great track bike though!

If I got one, it would be the R model. More street friendly, still plenty of useable power.

once again, the gods smiled upon us in Austin and the local Ducati dealership had demo rides all weekend.  this year i tried the Monster 797 as a more/less direct competitor or crossgrade for my FZ-07. 

Damn, really wish I knew about the demo day (dream manufacturer)! My friend lent me his Streetfighter 848 last week, and now I'm debating on trading in for one I found in New Braunfels. 

martyinaustin

Damn, really wish I knew about the demo day (dream manufacturer)! My friend lent me his Streetfighter 848 last week, and now I'm debating on trading in for one I found in New Braunfels.
they have done the demo day at least the last 2 years.  no doubt they'll do it next year too.  just friend up w/ Duc of Austin on FB and you'll be in the loop.  so much free fun!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
firstyammerha

researching my notes from last winter, the Triumph dealer in middle Georgia-a ways from my second home- was selling new 2016 base Street Triple for $7884. It'll be tough getting rid of the FZ.

Archived