The MT-07 Forum

What gear do you wear while riding?

faffi

You can check as many of the options as you need to indicate what kind of gear you use while riding. If you wear different gear, either pick every option (if you have no pattern) or check what you use the absolute majority of the time.

• Global Moderator

Also great to only see one vote for shirt, shorts and no helmet. I assume it is probably the same guy.

• Premium Member
Also great to only see one vote for shirt, shorts and no helmet. I assume it is probably the same guy.

Gixxer, brah!

Everything went braap.

Gixxer, brah!
Funny as hell. That's the majority and norm here at the beach, Hobbs. We see it all the time. Totally agree with you. Couldn't have said it better myself.

• Premium Member

Screw all that stuff man... this is ALL you need to ride street baby.

[attachment id=2502" thumbnail="1]

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

Checked "Protective boots that cover shin / ankles" even though mine don't cover shins (TCX X-Street)
You guys would trip out if you could see the roads over here. Rarely do you see anyone with protective gear at all. I think that less than 5% of the cruiser / Harley crowd on this island wear a helmet. In fact I think that I've seen more scooter riders here wearing helmets. The street bike crowd here typically has a helmet only, some have additional gear. I am probably 1 of 10 or 15 people that I've seen on the road with full kit.

Haaa, ha! I know that guy! That's Slap Daddy Bone Dog! He's been barred from sitting on bikes in 4242 dealerships across 42 states! ;) 

Beemer

I've noticed that the "Gear Bible" changes from location to location. It's not everywhere in Florida but in certain cities/towns it is perfectly acceptable to wear shorts/swim trunks, flip flops and of course you have to worry about eye protection so cool looking (not necessarily very protective) sun glasses are a must. Are Ray Bans still in in Cali? Anyway, some people put their freedom to wear what they want higher on the list than someone else's idea of what they should be wearing, (whether they're right or not) if that makes any sense. I know, silly Americans and their freedoms. Am I wrong or are there more people from Cali on this site than any other state? That might explain a thing or two. Ride safe, stay frosty!

Beemer

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Now that's what I call an air jacket! Mad Max style. ;) 

Illegitimi non carborundum

• Premium Member

*Reaches for eye bleach* 

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member

That's embarrassing. He forgot his helmet! :o 

• Premium Member

*Reaches for eye bleach*
HAHA yeah how do you think I felt searching that out? The things I do for you guys. 

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

• Premium Member

So we're mostly full face, gloves and jackets so far...

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

My MT07 is largely a weekend day off bike so On longer rides or purpose rides, I always gear up  with modular helmet, padded jacket, and ankle covering shoes , as well as gloves. Just this week bought purpose built lightweight padded pants as well. Before those I often wore articulated knee shin protectors over my jeans. (common here in the Philippines)
But there are times when I don the helmet in T shirt and jeans to go to a local stop for dinner or store. but always long pants. Here in the Philippines it is hot, and it is tempting no to get geared up sometimes. especially if I anticipate a lot of stops.  I had a bad accident last year, my gear, including shin guards, prevented me from getting any road rash, but I did slam my shoulder and fractured my clavicle. hard to prevent that. The shin guards hit the frame sliders so I would say those, or sufficiently padded pants are needed if you have sliders installed.
Spending the money on good mesh ventilating pants and jacket make it bearable to ride in 35 degrees Celsius.

IMG_20170425_105037.jpg

and my Girl friend modeling typical Filipino squid gear :)

IMG_20170425_083557.jpg

I wear a full suit, back protector, helmet etc. I only ride for fun, no commuting. So basically i'm only going out for track days, trips to the tail of the dragon, and spirited rides on local roads where knees are gonna touch a few times.

I can say that if it wasn't for helmets, I would have cracked my skull 3 times. If it wasn't for full-face helmets, I would have ground away a lot of face twice and broken god knows how many bones and teeth once. If it wasn't for leather gloves, I would have lost lots of skin and flesh off my hands repeatedly. If it wasn't for full riding gear, I would have lost plenty of skin almost everywhere. If it wasn't for a back protector, I'd likely be a paraplegic. If it wasn't for padding, chances are big I would have suffered broken shoulder, knee and elbow. If I had wore a more protective pair of boots (I did wear full-length motorcycle boots), I would have saved myself 2 broken bones and a broken ankle.

So what is the obvious conclusion of all this? Do not ride like an idiot and you most likely will never need protective gear in the first place. But if you like to push the boundaries every now and then, proper gear will greatly enhance your chances of being repairable.

Look at this silly low-speed crash I managed to get myself into by pushing too hard on knobblies not intended for hard cornering.

Despite the low speed, my high-quality GoreTex suit was ruined; the fabric of the arm was shredded almost from shoulder to wrist and the pants from above knee to ankle. Leathers will protect a lot better. Unfortunately, leathers are not so practical in shifting climates.

• Premium Member

Full-face helmet, textile jacket with elbow, shoulder, and back protectors. riding gloves with protected knuckles and palms, kevlar jeans with knee pads, over ankle boot with shin protecters. all of the said items are above DOT, and at a minimum CE certified. ATGATT all the time

Right now just a full face, helmet, gloves, hoodie/jacket, and over-ankle hiking boots. I see a protective jacket in the near future, but that's probably about it for now.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Current gear:

Shoei X-14
Dianese Horizon Jacket (with chest and back armor)
Dianese Horizon Pants
Dianese AirMesh Gloves
Alpinestars SMX-1 Boots (soon to be Dianese TRQ-Tour boots, mainly because the shortness of my SMX1's and the way the horizon pants end at the ankle make me look kind of silly.)

Other than the pants, I put all of this on even if I'm just going the 1/4 mile up the street to my local 7/11 and back.  If I intend on riding quick or am leaving town, I throw on the pants.

It's all about keeping that rubber side down.

Archived