The MT-07 Forum

Yoshimura Exhaust

motomaniac13

• Premium Member
Is the exhaust repack necessary on this exhaust? If so at what mileage?
What is an exhaust repack?
Here's straight from the Yoshimura website:  "Dirty packing restricts airflow from your motor, which results in a loss of power and degradation of sound. Periodic inspections of your exhaust system should be performed to look for signs of packing wear. Signs of packing wear include muffler and/or end-cap discoloration, hot spots, louder exhaust note, and yellowing of the Carbon Fiber. Repacking your muffler allows for freer airflow from your motor, which restores lost power and improves the exhaust sound."

Just like other parts, there's maintenance that needs to be done. For exhausts, this is it. Yoshimura offers you the option to have them do it for you. Or you can purchase the kit and do it yourself. You don't have to go to Yosh to get the repack kit. You can probably find it anywhere else. 

I just don't want to mess with fiber glass, so I get it done by them. I do it every 10K, it really just depends on how/where you ride that will determine how soon you'll need to replace it. 

Here's the video on how it's done:
[video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPalKe6nYIk]

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest August BB

Yeah I'd wait until after 10k. I think I've read somewhere that they charge 30 dollars to repack it for you, and repack material cost for r77 is about 40 bucks. Plus two-way shipping I'm guessing it will set you back a bit less than 100 dollars total for repacking every 10k miles.

I got the Yoshimura Stainless Steel full system exhaust for my FZ 07. I am looking into getting the Dynojet Power Commander V w/ Ignition, but cannot seem to find any maps for my combination:

Air-Filter: Stock
Exhaust: Yoshimura SS full system -> No baffle / DB killer (does the baffle influence the mapping?)

[such a complex combo! ;)]

Have you guys come across PCV maps for Yoshis anywhere?

I can't get the Auto-Tune kit now, or do a proper dyno run...

Motomummy can put a map for my config if I order through them, but found out that they will find a similar config like for a Graves or Arrow exhaust, and upload that onto the PCV.

Is that an OK solution for the time being?

Thank you

• Premium Member
crazycracka501
I got the Yoshimura Stainless Steel full system exhaust for my FZ 07. I am looking into getting the Dynojet Power Commander V w/ Ignition, but cannot seem to find any maps for my combination: 
Air-Filter: Stock
Exhaust: Yoshimura SS full system -> No baffle / DB killer (does the baffle influence the mapping?)

[such a complex combo! ;)]

Have you guys come across PCV maps for Yoshis anywhere?

I can't get the Auto-Tune kit now, or do a proper dyno run...

Motomummy can put a map for my config if I order through them, but found out that they will find a similar config like for a Graves or Arrow exhaust, and upload that onto the PCV.

Is that an OK solution for the time being?

Thank you
Check with the guys at dobeck performance.  Their EJK might have a map for you & Dillon is really good with response so you might have luck with them. 

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

I ordered the Power Commander V w/ Ignition from Revzilla this afternoon. 

I also spoke with a Dynojet person over the phone about their lack of Yoshi maps. He said it all depends on the Yoshi guys sending them stuff to work with, etc. Anyways, he said that I can start out with a map for Akra, and then switch it out when either a Yoshi map becomes available, or I do a dyno run. But all their maps are with the db killer in, and I did not install that on mine.

For my purposes, I hope this will do. I am not a racer, just a little throttle happy sometimes!  :D <- a 30yr old using smilies!!!

I will get in touch with the Dobeck Performance guys and see if they can help me. I feel a little bad since I did not buy anything from them...

Thank you

fooschnickens
I also spoke with a Dynojet person over the phone about their lack of Yoshi maps. He said it all depends on the Yoshi guys sending them stuff to work with, etc. Anyways, he said that I can start out with a map for Akra, and then switch it out when either a Yoshi map becomes available, or I do a dyno run. But all their maps are with the db killer in, and I did not install that on mine.

For my purposes, I hope this will do. I am not a racer, just a little throttle happy sometimes!  :D <- a 30yr old using smilies!!!

I will get in touch with the Dobeck Performance guys and see if they can help me. I feel a little bad since I did not buy anything from them...

Thank you
Honestly, getting some dyno time in will be your best bet. I guess I'm kinda spoiled having a skilled PC tuner right in my backyard, but a solid tune done by a pro will beat out a preset base tune for a different application every time. 

Thank you
Honestly, getting some dyno time in will be your best bet. I guess I'm kinda spoiled having a skilled PC tuner right in my backyard, but a solid tune done by a pro will beat out a preset base tune for a different application every time.

I was going to do a dyno run done today, but the damn PCV hasn't been delivered yet!

No! No! I'm dying from lack of tuning being done to my bike! SOS! SOS!

fooschnickens
I was going to do a dyno run done today, but the damn PCV hasn't been delivered yet!

The horror! Hope it gets in soon, the weekend is fast approaching! 

The horror! Hope it gets in soon, the weekend is fast approaching!

The damn thing finally got here, but now I have to wait till 10am tomorrow for the dyno run.

Not sleeping in excitement makes for a very long night!

So im running with the insert on. This is louder than i expected BUT aboslolutely happy with it. really is lightweight, awesoem tone, i can be heard now.

www.youtube.com/infinion3

Any advice on what rear frame slider will be long enough to help protect aftermaket exhausts?

www.youtube.com/infinion3

Guest whitegas

Yeah, I don't think there is an option, I just figured if you ever drop the bike on the exhaust side with the Yoshimura on, you are screwed. Hopefully I'm wrong.

What's the gain in shelling out for a Power Commander when the Yoshi was specifically designed around the stock bike's state of tune..? My carbon system has been on for a week (insert in) and I see no need for any further tuning. Acceleration remains quick from idle, torque remains strong across the power curve and there's a small increase up top. No hint of backfire on decel - so I'm content to leave it as is.

But yes, it's quite loud when you ramp up the gears, otherwise a pleasing drone.

I'm so torn between stainless vs carbon on my white! Good problems
I Have the white with the carbon if you want to see a pic to help decide :) 

• Premium Member
Won't say no to that! Let's see it

I just ordered mine. Stainless.

I have a Yoshi on my GS 500, I love it...this should be even better.

Good luck deciding, sir.

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause...till it come back to me.

Won't say no to that! Let's see it
KD1MvLa.jpg?1 W/ Full Carbon exhaust and ejk 

After Break in, Pipes turned gold :) 
zqCxKUS.jpg?1
NiQLmMy.jpg

Just a front pic

ESAdUPL.jpg?1

I have the carbon on my Red, and it complements the styling perfectly. However, carbon has a small maintenance penalty compared to stainless. Excessive heat can damage the exterior material, so repacking at say 10k miles is even more important than with stainless.

@squintyeyes nice color accents. But just a heads up, from what I can tell your seat might not be properly set on.
Thanks i appreciate it and how does it look not set on properly? 

fooschnickens
@squintyeyes nice color accents. But just a heads up, from what I can tell your seat might not be properly set on.
Thanks i appreciate it and how does it look not set on properly? 
I think he's talking about the gap between the seat and the bodywork. It looks like you didn't quite get that front "hook" in place when you latched in down and it's just sitting on top of it. 

Archived