The MT-07 Forum

Yoshimura Exhaust

motomaniac13

Guest August BB

Haha, yeah. After opening the box, I looked at it, thought it was cool since that is one surefire way to get the package delivered safely. But then taking it out was a real pain. But I suppose sacrificing convenience for your exhaust to be delivered perfectly is well worth it.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey August. How was the finish on your header pipe. I was a little disappointed with mine. The top is pretty scratched up due to what I'm assuming is the flanges moving around on the pipes. I was shocked they didn't have them taped in place or something. Also there is a few spots of some blackish goo I'll need to clean off. And there are spots that have general scuffing, one that's about two inches on and right on the most prominently visible bend.

Don't get me wrong. Overall, it looks great, but much lower production quality than I expected from Yoshi.

Guest August BB

No rubber bands holding the header flanges in place?  Yes, mine had some black stuff on it as well. And there were light scratches/scuffs on the header pipes and on the muffler.

I've never ordered exhausts before and so I didn't think much of it. I'm ignorant in this realm.

y5.jpg

You can see mine had rubber bands holding the flanges.  And the black stuff was around the middle bend around the welding points.

No rubber bands holding the header flanges in place?  Yes, mine had some black stuff on it as well. And there were light scratches/scuffs on the header pipes and on the muffler. 
I've never ordered exhausts before and so I didn't think much of it. I'm ignorant in this realm.

y5.jpg

You can see mine had rubber bands holding the flanges.  And the black stuff was around the middle bend around the welding points.

Thanks for the pic. Nope, no rubber bands on mine, they were just free to flop around, and the scratches prove it.... Oh well, I guess I'll get it installed and probably still love it to death :-) 

• Global Moderator

I would contact Yoshi and send them some photos of the damage. Maybe you can get them to send you a free fender eliminator or something instead of having them replace the pipes.

I would contact Yoshi and send them some photos of the damage. Maybe you can get them to send you a free fender eliminator or something instead of having them replace the pipes.

Good advice. I decided to give them a call and they asked that I ship it back and they will replace it. That's not an awesome situation.....I don't know whether to just deal with it or send it in. Will probably be another month or two before I'd get a replacement.....

Edit: oh, and August, sorry, they said it has to have not been install to send it back, but I'm guessing you're loving yours and don't want to send it back ;)

• Premium Member
OMG! This packing material takes for ever to get through! hvdutj.jpgjpg

What the hell did they do, fill the box with syntactic foam?! Stable for shipping at least.

Everything went braap.

• Premium Member

Interesting packaging method.

And nice sound bite @abb. Can't wait til you're done breaking it in to enjoy the sound of it then. Hope you wear ear plugs!

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

And nice sound bite @abb. Can't wait til you're done breaking it in to enjoy the sound of it then. Hope you wear ear plugs!

I should really look into some ear plugs soon :-/

Do you have the silencer in or out?

• Premium Member

If you're asking me, I have it in. 

I was asking you :) and you have to wear plugs with the silencer?! Is it that loud? :)

• Premium Member
I was asking you :) and you have to wear plugs with the silencer?! Is it that loud? :)
Haha, you want to save your hearing or not? You should be wearing plugs regardless. Wind noise is a killer.  
But yes, don't let the nice low grumble fool you. You'll hear your cilia (the hairs in your ear that don't regenerate) dying (that ringing noise you get) after a nice ride out without them. 

Haha, you want to save your hearing or not? You should be wearing plugs regardless. Wind noise is a killer.  
But yes, don't let the nice low grumble fool you. You'll hear your cilia (the hairs in your ear that don't regenerate) dying (that ringing noise you get) after a nice ride out without them. 

Hahaha. Wow. OK. Yeah. My last Yoshi wasn't that loud with the silencer in. I ride with plugs above 40 mph, but I have a reeeeealy quiet helmet (unlike my last one that required plugs on every ride).

Guest August BB

I had to use an ear plug even before installing the muffler because of the wind noise in my helmet. I'm guessing Shark Raws have more wind noise than a full face.

Hooooooooooly Effffffff!

OMG, this is pure audio pleasure! The sound bites do it absolutely no justice. And yes, it's LOUD LOUD LOUD without the silencer. With the silencer in, I still feel like full on hooligan mode :)

This all happended because I was talking to my buddy who was comparing the scratches with the time it would take to ship it back and get a replacement, and then, what if the replacement was the same? That said, we went ahead and installed it. After hearing it, no regrets! Also, almost all of the scratches and blemishes are not in visible locations, so I'm ok with that. Taking our time, it took us about an hour, maybe 1.5. It really helps to have four hands in a couple places (especially holding up the right rear-set while trying to manuver and bolt the muffler band/bracket, to the bracket installed on the frame) though most of it can easily be done by yourself.

IMPORTANT!! If you want the silencer in, you really should do it with the muffler off the bike. The bolt that holds the silencer in is on the inside near the swingarm and I don't think it can be installed while on the bike.

Guest August BB

@bigity were you able to torque the silencer bolt to 8lbs? My freaking head got stripped even before hitting 8lbs. Luckily I loctited it, so hopefully that is enough to hold the bolt in place.
But yes, even with the silencer in, it is very loud.

Guest August BB
Mine arrived today :) 
Now just need to find the time to rip off the boat anchor stock stuff and put on the Yoshi :)
Pics when installed! Oh forgot, you too @bigity !

@bigity were you able to torque the silencer bolt to 8lbs? My freaking head got stripped even before hitting 8lbs. Luckily I loctited it, so hopefully that is enough to hold the bolt in place. But yes, even with the silencer in, it is very loud.

Wait, huh? It stripped? You're talking about the head of the bolt, not the threads, right? Were you using a Standard or Metric Allen wrench? If you used the wrong one it definitely could strip easily. I think these were all metric. I don't have a torque wrench that works down to 8ft/lbs. So I had to use my 6-years-auto-tech-wrist-torque-wrench ;)

Quick question all...did you have to drop radiator to get to the bolts? I was looking yesterday and that looks like a tight fit between header pipe bolts and back of the radiator???

Thanks

AC

Archived