The MT-07 Forum

127MPH?

level41

You can easily have a 200 lb rider being bigger than a 240 lb rider if the former is a sack of fat and the latter an ultra-lean athlete. Height can also be beneficial to gain speed despite adding weight because a longer object (when leaned flat over the tank) is more aerodynamical than a shorter object of the same frontal area and design. Too many variables. But weight alone, on level ground, have virtually impact on the end speed, only how long it takes to get there. 

Slightly off topic;
For whatever reason, I do block a lot of wind. I'm 5'11'' and 200 lbs net, pretty lean. But even when I was a skinny kid at 160 lb any motorcycle I rode would be slower than when other people rode them, even bigger and heavier riders. I hardly gain any speed if I lay down on the tank compared to sitting upright, whereas most others gain a lot of speed that way. I have no clue why, but it's been that way since I first began riding in 1980. My shape/posture is so bad that my Honda 250 actually gained top speed when I outfitted it with a Windjammer fairing, same for my Vulcan 800 when I fitted a National Cycle large touring windscreen!
I can picture you jumping out of an air-plane with your natural bat suit and rushing past canyon walls 100 ft. above the ground, waving at all the bikers below you. Then suddenly!! (fill in the blank)  ;) 

Beemer

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
bornagainbiker
Totally stock (save for a 17t front sprocket), but ran out of road. Plus, the coppers scare me.

I think you meant to say the rate of fuel consumption scared you. RU sure your engine wasn't going to blow up with it spinning faster than 7K rpm since it spends all it's time chugga-lugga along at less than 4?  ;)
Sounds like the way I ride--seldom see 5k rpm--but have run it up past 100 mph a couple of times.

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

Yeah, has plenty of power even under 4k with the sprocket mod.
I recommend the 17/39t setup over stock, for commuter or touring.

Archived