The MT-07 Forum

127MPH?

level41

8D !

Just testing it out. I had more to go. Totally stock (save for a 17t front sprocket), but ran out of road.
Plus, the coppers scare me.

120 on the speedo +6.25% gearing differential = 127MPH.

no pics, and not a lot of scenery at those speeds, yet a ride report regardless  :D

Of course, I do not endorse speeding on public roads!  8-)

I'm going to say stock the speedo reads high like all bikes. With the 6.25% correction it might now read dead right.

Anyone checked the speedo accuracy?

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

The highest I've seen on the speedo was 132 I believe, but that was with exhaust, fuel controller, and a tail wind.

Not sure if this is the same but on most bikes, Aussie bikes read over by almost 10%, European bikes by about 5 or 6%, and US bikes usually are spot on.
Asian bikes can read as much as 200% off. For real.. There was a time when the speedo read 30MPH, and I was doing only 17.

valvestem
I'm going to say stock the speedo reads high like all bikes. With the 6.25% correction it might now read dead right. 
Anyone checked the speedo accuracy? I have checked my fz09 and fz07 and both exhibit not more than one mph fast at various speeds. Very accurate.. 

[div]I endorse speeding, it's fun! P-)  Just don't hurt anyone in the process.[/div]

Beemer

I tested my speedo against my friend's GPS and it was spot on. My top speed record is 135 mph with Akra TI no baffle/no snorkel/ECU tune.

• 4 weeks later...

gees, I recently went 178 KPH indicated, and it was fast enough, but then these are 2 lane roads not limited access, that aside, the buffeting from the wind even at that speed was tremendous, can imagine wanting to go 230 KPH on a naked bike.

speedo error is usually 5-10% positive for liability reasons no matter where the market. some bikes are spot on some worse than that, it's why they have a positive error built in. Tachs are known to read low by about 500 RPM for similar reasons.They don't want you blowing up your bike,rev limiters same I assume.

I'm surprised in the difference claims of speedo error. I have a 2017 that's within 1mph accuracy.I've never seen an accurate motorcycle speedometer before. I bet somebody at yamaha is in trouble over this.

I checked mine with the GPS on the phone and it reads 10% fast up to 80 kph/50 mph and from there on seems to stay at around 8 kph / 5 mph fast, but didn't test it at very high speeds.

Yamaha used to have to most accurate instruments, but if you compare two identical bikes, chances are their speedos will not show identical values throughout the scale.

My Honda CB1100F from 1983 was 5 % fast at 55 and dead accurate at 125.

I'm surprised in the difference claims of speedo error. I have a 2017 that's within 1mph accuracy.I've never seen an accurate motorcycle speedometer before. I bet somebody at yamaha is in trouble over this.
You must live in USA, where we don't have this speedo error law. In Australia, I heard it's common to be 5-10% overreading, while in Asia it can be anywhere from spot on, to 200% over-reading!

I out ran my R1 naked riding backwards in the snow at night up hill heading down.

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Totally stock (save for a 17t front sprocket), but ran out of road. Plus, the coppers scare me.

I think you meant to say the rate of fuel consumption scared you. RU sure your engine wasn't going to blow up with it spinning faster than 7K rpm since it spends all it's time chugga-lugga along at less than 4?  ;)
bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Your much more likely to damage a engine like the 07 by under revving it than over
these motors are built to be spun up. but they are a robust motor and will stand
a fair amount of abuse.

Well you must be lightweight because I never came close to get to that speed stock!

I couldn't get past 190kmh last year (I weight about 200lbs, stock bike) on a flat road.

This year with a yoshi exhaust and a pcfc I can get to 200kmh on the same road but that's about it...but it is easier to reach that speed though.

Anyway it's not even fun to ride at that speed with this bike...it was just to test it out.

At least I know I paid for something with my mods haha ? it definitely makes a difference.

I haven't had my motorcycle lug much on me yet (save for when I accidentally switch in a too high gear, and RPM drops below 3k rpm).

Changing the gearing from stock 16/43t to 17/38t gives about 20% increase, which is the maximum on most motorcycles.
It's engineered to never lug in normal operation.
At 3-4.5k rpm it actually runs a lot smoother.

Changing gearing in a way, is very similar to advancing the ignition timing on a bike.
Advancing the timing, and increasing the load (by changing gearing) is a bad idea.

Top speed upright is close to 120MPH. When tucking in, behind the windscreen (if you have any set up), it is closer to 130MPH. I am not going to try out any faster. lol.

Weight has virtually no impact on top speed, only acceleration. Air resistance is what matter.
Let's think about that a minute, if you are a very heavy rider, then you're most likely larger, hence more wind resistance, hence lower top speed. These are mutually inclusive parameters, in addition, it will take you longer to reach top speed as a heavy rider, which can have a limiting effect. But on a powerful bike it is all less a factor than on say a 300 cc.

You can easily have a 200 lb rider being bigger than a 240 lb rider if the former is a sack of fat and the latter an ultra-lean athlete. Height can also be beneficial to gain speed despite adding weight because a longer object (when leaned flat over the tank) is more aerodynamical than a shorter object of the same frontal area and design. Too many variables. But weight alone, on level ground, have virtually impact on the end speed, only how long it takes to get there.

Slightly off topic;
For whatever reason, I do block a lot of wind. I'm 5'11'' and 200 lbs net, pretty lean. But even when I was a skinny kid at 160 lb any motorcycle I rode would be slower than when other people rode them, even bigger and heavier riders. I hardly gain any speed if I lay down on the tank compared to sitting upright, whereas most others gain a lot of speed that way. I have no clue why, but it's been that way since I first began riding in 1980. My shape/posture is so bad that my Honda 250 actually gained top speed when I outfitted it with a Windjammer fairing, same for my Vulcan 800 when I fitted a National Cycle large touring windscreen!

One thing I like about the 07 is that it feels very low revving and laid back due I think to the 270deg crank angle
it feels more like a V twin, I have a W800 twin with a 360deg crank and even though it revs much lower at any speed
if feels and sounds like it's doing twice the revs.

Archived