The MT-07 Forum

Found out how far you can lean

mjdavis1994

mjdavis1994

So as the title says I found out just how far you can lean on stock tires :-/  Laid her down today. I go every weekend to a gated MSF Course and practice just about everything from wheelies to leaning. After a few weekends of scraping the feeler pegs I removed them and wanted to see how far I could lean without them (it's actually a lot more lol) well I went around the course a few times and was scraping the foot peg and was curios what it looked like. So I took my GoPro off and set it up to find out. Laid it down as soon as I started recording (go figure eh?). Well here's the aftermath. Not that bad thankfully the first mod I did was frame sliders (which I highly recommend) No damage to my gear and the only damage to the bike was a scraped up handle bar end, frame slider, and bent gear selector which I bent back when I got home. Not really mad being that I was testing the waters and was on a closed course. Live and ya learn :P
image1.jpg

image2.jpg

image3.jpg

image4.jpg

image5.jpg

[video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVcwGHHU9cc&feature=youtu.be]

[video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxcLA88bxu4&feature=youtu.be]

• Premium Member

haha. No better place to learn than in an empty parking lot. :P
Better body positioning may have saved you (one cheek off the seat) but then you probably wouldn't have been leaning as much.

Is the second video only available in low quality?

mjdavis1994
haha. No better place to learn than in an empty parking lot. :P Better body positioning may have saved you (one cheek off the seat) but then you probably wouldn't have been leaning as much.

Is the second video only available in low quality?
That's how I was doing it before xD one cheek off and that's when my knee felt like it was about to smack the ground. It was a much smoother turn though.  And no my GoPro was more pointed at the ground so it focused more on the ground than where I wanted :/ 

I would never dare cornering that hard without full protective gear. Glad you didn't got hurt, but riding like that in jeans and no proper attire save helmet and not all that heavy gauge gloves? Well, it's your skin ;)

BTW, did you add throttle when the rear let go, or did it just slide out?

I would never dare cornering that hard without full protective gear. Glad you didn't got hurt, but riding like that in jeans and no proper attire save helmet and not all that heavy gauge gloves? Well, it's your skin ;) 
I'm sure he's a big boy that knows what works best and maybe he just figured (like I do when I ride in jeans) he would take his chances. No need for condescending.  

Beemer

• Premium Member

Yeah I found the pegs were a limiting factor on lean angle thats why I picked up the China rear set for 100 bucks. I would recommend a track day if you are trying to find the limits of your bike its fun and a safer place to do it.
And a big plus one on Frame sliders.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

mjdavis1994
It didn't tear through my jeans my leg caught the peg when the bike went down and I'm getting a new set of gloves at a later date but my thought process was gloves are better than no gloves. And no I didn't add throttle it was steady I just went over the lip on the tire. 

mjdavis1994
Yeah I found the pegs were a limiting factor on lean angle thats why I picked up the China rear set for 100 bucks. I would recommend a track day if you are trying to find the limits of your bike its fun and a safer place to do it. And a big plus one on Frame sliders.
Yeah there's a track her but they don't open for another month (why I'm not sure it's not cold here in El Paso.)I was just bored pretty much. I'm fixing to pick up a drag bar and some rear sets. Just ordered a new frame slider and bar end and shell be good as new. 

The peg feelers pivot with the footpegs so they give. They are your warning. The next thing to drag will be solid and lever the tire off the ground.

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

I'm sure he's a big boy that knows what works best and maybe he just figured (like I do when I ride in jeans) he would take his chances. No need for condescending.
Sorry if I came through as that, because that was not my intention. I simply stated exactly was I meant, that I would not try to find the limit without full gear on. And that each is free to make their own choices. 
http://motorcycle-central.com/wearing-jeans-on-a-motorcycle-is-bad/

mjdavis1994
The peg feelers pivot with the footpegs so they give. They are your warning. The next thing to drag will be solid and lever the tire off the ground.
Yeah I still didn't like it though. Might see if I can't put a smaller set on but I went around a few corners and the feeler caught the imperfections and it wasn't a good feeling. 

Sorry if I came through as that, because that was not my intention. I simply stated exactly was I meant, that I would not try to find the limit without full gear on. And that each is free to make their own choices. 
http://motorcycle-central.com/wearing-jeans-on-a-motorcycle-is-bad/
That doesn't sound like a sly innuendo when you put it that way. Thanks for the clarification. Cheers! 

Beemer

As someone who has lost more than 7 people close to me to motorcycle accidents, I encourage everyone to talk about safety as much as they want to in here.

If it pisses off 20 people but influences and save's one rider's life, then I consider that a win.

• 2 weeks later...
mjdavis1994
Hey, good to know the frame sliders do the trick!

I know I was very satisfied! I want a cage but can't justify it with the wife yet.

You might know this but you look wayyyyyy crossed up in your vids. You want your body weight on the inside of the bike's center of mass in a turn, not the other way around.

mjdavis1994
You might know this but you look wayyyyyy crossed up in your vids. You want your body weight on the inside of the bike's center of mass in a turn, not the other way around.

Yeah like I said before I had multiple runs before and all went well, but for some reason when I recorded instead of changing my body position to slightly hang off the seat, face by mirror, I kept my body exactly in the center of the seat. But thanks ? Practice makes perfect man.

Archived