The MT-07 Forum

First service

trainspottingbaby

The list of checks and adjustments are in the owner's manual. TB syncs don't NEED to be done at every service interval (every 4,000 miles after the first 600/1,000) but your TB's will be out of sync. I've opted to get it done every other service but the head tech where I take mine has shown me that they were off after 4,000. Not enough to really notice but out of sync nonetheless. He told me it's very common with these bikes. Same deal with the 8,000 mile spark plug interval. Seems ridiculously short but it's accurate. I didn't do mine until 12,000 miles, mainly because it's a pain in the ass, but they were pretty burnt.

Either way a decent shop should only charge 200-250 for the regular service.

Also, valve checks are at 24,000 miles.

I just got my first service done for 196.00  while I waited... Took a hour and a half.... A different shop told me it would be 265 and I would need to drop off my bike and it would take 2 or 3 days... 

Just a note.

The first service is THE most important service a motor can have. Even if it is prerun ( I know Honda  and Toyota do) you need sufficient time of load for the initial big wear to occur as stuff polishes itself together. Too short and you will still get metal accumulating. Too long and the accumulated metal will start doing naughty things.

I almost always change at about 1000km ( 600miles). The filter should be changed at the same time for the first service. I also do the fork oil at the same time because of the same reasons. NOTE: if you have a motor with a soft iron coating on the pistons you need to use mineral oil until about 5000km so the piston/bore can polish together. That should get the vast majority of free metal out of the motor and the forks for the rest of the bikes life and substantially prolong the life of both. If you deconstruct a motor down the track , the vast majority of metal in the sump is from the first 1000km or so, unless you have stuffed something ...EVEN if you are doing a piston ring replacement that isn't catastrophic failure. Most "wear" in motors long term is corrosion from acids in the oil , not mechanical wear unless something was very wrong. This is why you should use synthetics once run in, as they don't allow pH drop, stay slippery longer and don't degenerate to acids themselves as they age.

Also don't just change the oil at the first service. Most of the controls ( clutch, brakes, acc. cable etc) will have bedded in by that stage and should be readjusted to suit.

That's my thoughts anyway.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• Global Moderator
6 hours ago, redline27 said:

I just got my first service done for 196.00  while I waited... Took a hour and a half.... A different shop told me it would be 265 and I would need to drop off my bike and it would take 2 or 3 days... 

Two or three days?!   I think the service manager must have needed a bike to ride for the rest of the week.  An hour and a half is about right. 

Archived