The MT-07 Forum

First service

trainspottingbaby

trainspottingbaby

My dealership wants to charge me $400 (Cdn) for my first 1000km or 1 month service. That first month is up today, and my bike has only 160kms on it (the weather hasn't been suitable for riding yet).

So I guess the first question is, shouldn't I get a few more kms on it before spending that much for service? Seems weird to change the oil just because some time has passed, but what do I know.

Secondly, is $400 even reasonable just to replace oil/filter, and verify/lube a few things? I think I can perform all that maintenance by myself, but I also wouldn't want to void my warranty so I was willing to bite the bullet on the first maintenance only.

Your guidance would be much appreciated.

Mine has never been back to a dealer since new.

Put 600 miles on it, change the oil, and your done.

I bet that's all the dealer will do for 400 bucks. Warranty will still be good.

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

• Global Moderator

I have never heard of a one month interval on the first service. $400 is way too expensive. I would do it myself when you get to 1,000 km and save the money. Keep the reciepts for the oil and filter and you will be fine if there is a warranty issue in the future.

Read your owner's manual! There's a whole section on scheduled maintenance and instructions.

I would only bring my bike to a trusted bike shop for complex service or things I don't have the tools for like a major tune-up that involves valve adjustments and the like. Other than that, you can do you own oil change, chain adjustment, etc. YouTube is your friend!

You do you and I'll do me.

trainspottingbaby
I have never heard of a one month interval on the first service. $400 is way too expensive. I would do it myself when you get to 1,000 km and save the money. Keep the reciepts for the oil and filter and you will be fine if there is a warranty issue in the future.

But the 1 month or 1000km first service is written right in the manual's maintenance schedule, so the dealership didn't just pull it out of thin air. And if you don't stick to the schedule, Yamaha's well within their rights to refuse coverage for service under warranty. So I want to do right by Yamaha.

I think you're right, the dealership's rates are insulting, and I've always gotten a dodgy vibe from them. I'll do the service myself, but first I would like to know what Yamaha really wants -- when they say 1000km OR 1mo, do they really mean whichever comes first even if I've only ridden 160km?? That makes no sense to me at all. How does time sitting in my garage factor into wear and tear? I can understand if it were sitting there for a few years, but... I'm hoping someone can explain.

Guest 2wheeler
My dealership wants to charge me $400 (Cdn) for my first 1000km or 1 month service. That first month is up today, and my bike has only 160kms on it (the weather hasn't been suitable for riding yet). 
So I guess the first question is, shouldn't I get a few more kms on it before spending that much for service? Seems weird to change the oil just because some time has passed, but what do I know.

Secondly, is $400 even reasonable just to replace oil/filter, and verify/lube a few things? I think I can perform all that maintenance by myself, but I also wouldn't want to void my warranty so I was willing to bite the bullet on the first maintenance only.

Your guidance would be much appreciated.
I just turned 6000 miles, and my bike has yet to see a motorcycle shop - especially a Yamaha dealership!!! 
Change oil/filter, adjust/clean/oil chain, and adjust throttle cable is all I have needed to do. Everything I have read concerning throttle body sync has said that if it is idling OK, don't mess with it. At 8500 I plan to take it to my mechanic (non-dealership) and get the valves checked and the spark plugs changed. I already changed the air filter only to add a more free flowing one.

It's a Yamaha, and as long as it is running decent, there is no need to take it in for a "tune up"! You are just handing the dealership money for nothing.

Spend your $400 on upgrades!!!

trainspottingbaby
Read your owner's manual! There's a whole section on scheduled maintenance and instructions. 
I would only bring my bike to a trusted bike shop for complex service or things I don't have the tools for like a major tune-up that involves valve adjustments and the like. Other than that, you can do you own oil change, chain adjustment, etc. YouTube is your friend!
I have read it, and that's partially why I'm baffled. Even if I do it myself, I don't want to waste oil and a new oil filter at only 160Kms just because 1 month has elapsed. It seems completely arbitrary. And yet at the same time for the sake of my warranty, I want to remain in good standing with Yamaha if that's what they really do expect. So I'm hoping to understand the requirements so I can be good and sure.

The first service is simply an oil change and new oil filter. Then everything else is checking over things such as chain slack and condition. Checking the levers, tire pressure, fluid levels, any loose nuts/bolts, etc. The motorcycle is still very new from the factory so there isn't much to change/adjust. I was also perplexed when my dealership quoted me for a first service, too, but then I asked for a line itemized quote and most of it is just checking on stuff. All things you can find out on YouTube. Hahaha.

You're paying for the dealership's professional labor and knowledge but these are all things you can do yourself and for a lot less money.

Just keep your receipts and your warranty won't be affected. Also I personally count the age of the bike by miles/km travelled instead of time because you are right: there's no real appreciable wear and tear from just sitting in the garage.

Guest 2wheeler
I have read it, and that's partially why I'm baffled. Even if I do it myself, I don't want to waste oil and a new oil filter at only 160Kms just because 1 month has elapsed. It seems completely arbitrary. And yet at the same time for the sake of my warranty, I want to remain in good standing with Yamaha if that's what they really do expect. So I'm hoping to understand the requirements so I can be good and sure.
There is no way you are going to void your warranty by not having proof that you followed their anal maintenance schedule to the letter. The single biggest reason they do that is to try to ensure that you will spend money at a Yamaha dealership for parts and labor. Arguably it is there also for liability reasons so they don't get their asses sued off.

More importantly, Yamaha's typically don't break!

• Premium Member

My FZ-07 saaw its first dealership service after 15,000 miles of abuse and I needed new tires... I changed my own oil and filter when needed and double checked the manual as to what needed to be checked and greased, etc... I take a picture of my ODO reading with the sales slip time/date in case the ever ever ever slightest chance the motor fails under warranty...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

trainspottingbaby

Thanks for the helpful responses! And thanks for talking sense into me re. handing a bag of money to the sketchy dealership, just for them to do what I can learn from YouTube in a few mins.

Just to be safe though, I might purchase the oil and filter now -- just to have a receipt with a date that confirms it was purchased in the first mo of ownership, in case the elapsed time interval really does end up being a point of contention with Yamaha for some reason. But I'll drive it another few-hundred Kms before actually changing it.

*Edit* - And thanks for the idea @norcal616 of taking a pic of the receipt next to the odometer.

• Global Moderator

I cannot believe I never noticed the one month time in the maintenance schedule but it sure is there. I still would not do the service with such low mileage. Many bikes sit at the dealership longer than I month so they would be behind schedule with zero miles.

According to the service  manual the first,  600 mile, service includes a throttle sync. There may be a 1 hour labor charge on this. I just had my first service, they told me it didn't really need the throttle sync, but I asked them to do it anyway, so I would know what the engine felt like when they are definitely in sync. It was spot on. Now I won't bother with a throttle sync ever unless I can feel a difference.

Honestly, it comes down your personal decision. If you need to do it for peace of mind and have official records to maintain the Yamaha warranty, pay for it. It's ultimately your motorcycle. 

I can only speak from personal experience and the mechanics I've spoken to about first 600 mile services . All of them have said at 600 miles you don't need to sync the throttle body since it's still so new from the factory unless there was a quality assurance issue. If you notice the throttle was really abrupt or the bike was surging at small throttle openings or it's a rough feeling at idle, then get it re-synced at the 600 mile service. Other than that, check it every 6,000 miles.

I personally did my first service on my own sans throttle body sync and my FZ-07 still runs smooth at 3,000 miles. I do plan to have my trusted mechanic check the throttle body sync at 6,000 miles though.

But hey, to each his own. 

Capture.png

yes does not make sense this 1 month or 1000km which ever comes first. Cant see how it would void a warranty. If that was the case
then you would have to service the bike at exactly 1000km on odo. If you do it at 1001km warranty void? no

I have had service done early on one bike at around 850km. My last bike was at 1400ish km. My FZ07 rolled over 1000km today but i do
not have service until may 12. Only ride weekends so if next weekend not raining i probably have 1500km by the time i bring to dealer.
Not really worried about it. but i guess i should ask what the charge will be.

2017 Yamaha FZ-07
2014 Yamaha BWS125

• Global Moderator
yes does not make sense this 1 month or 1000km which ever comes first. Cant see how it would void a warranty. If that was the case then you would have to service the bike at exactly 1000km on odo. If you do it at 1001km warranty void? no

I have had service done early on one bike at around 850km. My last bike was at 1400ish km. My FZ07 rolled over 1000km today but i do
not have service until may 12. Only ride weekends so if next weekend not raining i probably have 1500km by the time i bring to dealer.
Not really worried about it. but i guess i should ask what the charge will be.
I would at least do the oil change myself, especially if you are going to be 50% over the recommendation.  The first is probably the most important to do on schedule.  

• 2 months later...
firstyammerha

I did my 600 mile service today at the dealership and it cost $412. The bike does sound quieter and smoother. Glad the next check is 6000 miles from now because I'll probably never see it. I will do the oil/filter changes and other easy stuff from here on.

I did my 600 mile service today at the dealership and it cost $412. The bike does sound quieter and smoother. Glad the next check is 6000 miles from now because I'll probably never see it. I will do the oil/filter changes and other easy stuff from here on.
Sweet Moses that's a lot! Did you call around to other dealers to compare?

I think i paid around $420AUD for the 1000km and 10,000km services combined. They were about 200 each. And that was from a Yamaha dealership. To be honest the dealership i got my bike from has been great. Never had any issues with them and service has always been top notch. They've also given me a loan bike for free everytime so i can do whatever i need while the bike is in the shop.

Near 2 years back now but about $46 US at a Yamaha main dealer here in the UK

about $208 for the 6000 mile one due 12,000 miles soon but I will do that one.

$375 taxes included from a Yamaha dealership in British Columbia for the first 1000km service. (puke) The vast majority of this was labour re: "inspection" (checking bolts, fuel system etc).

I felt like as the bike was new a (hopefully) thorough once-over at a dealership wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing should any immediate warranty issue arise. This is a high volume dealership and they see a ton of these bikes.

However, this is the last time the bike sees the inside of a dealership unless there is some sort of future warranty issue that requires attention. For everything else I will be doing it myself or taking it to a trusted local shop.

• 4 weeks later...

I picked up my fz today and the dealership said first service was $200. I asked if it was required by warranty and they said it was but I'm not sure. When I got home from the dealership I did my first oil change (80 km ride and in rain) fiqure if there is going to be any metal shaving from break in it would happen right away. I'm really contemplating if I'm going to go back. I found the drain plug and oil filter very tight night sure if I want someone touching my bike who over tightens filters and plugs

• Global Moderator
I picked up my fz today and the dealership said first service was $200. I asked if it was required by warranty and they said it was but I'm not sure. When I got home from the dealership I did my first oil change (80 km ride and in rain) fiqure if there is going to be any metal shaving from break in it would happen right away. I'm really contemplating if I'm going to go back. I found the drain plug and oil filter very tight night sure if I want someone touching my bike who over tightens filters and plugs
It is not required that the dealer do the service for warranty.  Just make sure you keep receipts to show that you (or someone) did the service.  

• 1 month later...

I just did my first service yesterday at 628 miles. Cost was about $250 labor and parts. I have the checklist but I cannot upload it since it is a PDF. But if anyone wants a checklist for the 600 mile service on a 2016 FZ let me know and I'll email it to you. The jobs was done in MD just south of Baltimore. They said there was a throttle sync but so far doesn't seem much smoother. Rides fine but I thought it would be a little smoother. When I did the first service on my KTM Duke (which involves a checking and tweaking value clearances) it ran  significantly better. But I still think it is just a need for more seat time on my new buddy.  

I asked about mine a while back at the dealer and they told me it would be about 450 - 500+ dollars. When I questioned that price, I was shown a generic "service" check list that included a valve clearance check, replacing the air filter, tightening spokes (LMAO!!) and a some other things I know are BS on it. I just got the oil change stuff when I was there and did it myself. Was also told by my friend who used to work at a Yamaha dealer that unless bike is running rough there is no need for TB sync. I just changed oil, adjusted chain, checked for loose bolts and gave it a good look over for anything obviously out of adjustment or off. Really the only thing hard for someone to do themselves is the TB sync. The rest is just basic stuff. And nowhere did it mention it needed a valve check at 600 miles.

Archived