The MT-07 Forum

FZ-07 Street Rally Windscreen concept

abjectpuddle

abjectpuddle

The Concept: Build a MT-09SR inspired Windscreen.
So, I have never been a fan of the windscreens available in the market, I wanted something sleek and aggressive like the motocages. I fell in love with the look of the MT-09SR fly screen.
Yamaha_MT09_Street_Rally_MG_34491.jpg

pict_215.jpg
So I thought I would take a shot at making one myself.

I will never claim to be a Photoshop wizard but here is my mock up on the FZ.

flyscreen_mockup.png

Created a basic shape outline of the windscreen in ICEM Surf.

concept_outline.png

Basic Rigid Shape, not to scale or anything, will probably 3D scan the front end of my bike at work once we finally move to get it exact.

taking_shape.png

rough_bg.png

profile.png

I will probably try to make a mockup out of cardboard sometime this weekend.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
KamelReds

Awesome! Great work.

Excited to see how it turns out.

It's all about keeping that rubber side down.

• Premium Member

Nice work. It's better than I could come up with for sure.

But am I the only one that thinks the styling reminds me of bad '70s Sci-Fi? :D

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member

I instantly thought of the 80's Transformers character 'Jetfire' (I'm a 80's kid/dork). Looks like a fun project to take on. [attachment id=2500" thumbnail="1]

• Like 1

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

abjectpuddle

I instantly thought of the 80's Transformers character 'Jetfire' (I'm a 80's kid/dork). Looks like a fun project to take on.  

That was my thought as well. Unfortunately, I was rear ended on the 28th and the project is on hold until I get the bike back. People who look at their phone more than the road are scum of the earth. 0_Jd_MGWBi_N_JUwx0ck_DCwf_Zfc_VNz_Ygc_EV8e_H_ce9ger_Z_jj52q_XD_WErctyokuf_Gn_Wf_On8_Qo_Z0xa3g_Sjk_Zj27_F_ZA2sz_Mv_Yun3_ODuq_El2_XRXez_GCJpw4hrx_NZkrg_S_u_Nlh_GNo_U90_JU8_MJQz_ESeb_JUy_L_px_Oo_I5_DCCQr_F3m_Gtt8_WUQgtk3_GLw_A7_SLo_LN_q_X8iof5_E1e_Kfg_SKg_Ntt7_M0jgr_S2c5_Bpd_B0_Ij6_Islts_QXBr_Pc_G0oevu_SQn_NTTn_H9_Hu3.jpg

Kl4_Abx3_O6_Zg_GL0_Q2x_NHj_U35_Fv_HSR72m_KWzn_Hvl_f_BKai_Jxg_b_XF6_JVnp5ubt67dj_YEy_KYqd_JKq_Em7_Q1_K5_WKa_T_r_P3_DOhz_WMSR2_Zys_Its_Vzm_EOEwq6_Zbqg78yvgpkuhl7o_TFj_JBnbjrt_Xo_S8p_15_DYKonhn_Ay_ROXCRUMSol_JUq_A6_Zqz9e57_Gq_Ob_Dz_Jfp_YA_x_Lavi3z2t_K96vtd_Lun_A2_Ko_CSl_G58yw_Ehqqp_Kb_EF9cqwb_S2_L5_Tc_HTQWE_Bu_Ac_Ir_AP.jpg

image ru

• Like 2

• Premium Member
I instantly thought of the 80's Transformers character 'Jetfire' (I'm a 80's kid/dork). Looks like a fun project to take on.  

That was my thought as well. Unfortunately, I was rear ended on the 28th and the project is on hold until I get the bike back. People who look at their phone more than the road are scum of the earth. 0_Jd_MGWBi_N_JUwx0ck_DCwf_Zfc_VNz_Ygc_EV8e_H_ce9ger_Z_jj52q_XD_WErctyokuf_Gn_Wf_On8_Qo_Z0xa3g_Sjk_Zj27_F_ZA2sz_Mv_Yun3_ODuq_El2_XRXez_GCJpw4hrx_NZkrg_S_u_Nlh_GNo_U90_JU8_MJQz_ESeb_JUy_L_px_Oo_I5_DCCQr_F3m_Gtt8_WUQgtk3_GLw_A7_SLo_LN_q_X8iof5_E1e_Kfg_SKg_Ntt7_M0jgr_S2c5_Bpd_B0_Ij6_Islts_QXBr_Pc_G0oevu_SQn_NTTn_H9_Hu3.jpg

image ru

Right! WTF is this? Sorry to see it. Hopefully you didnt get tossed around too much.  I always like to see the culprit/idiot's stupid face...so I can hate them at the appropriate level, as well ask to borrow said phone and spike it.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

abjectpuddle

image ru

Right! WTF is this? Sorry to see it. Hopefully you didnt get tossed around too much.  I always like to see the culprit/idiot's stupid face...so I can hate them at the appropriate level, as well ask to borrow said phone and spike it.

The FZ was actually holding the focus off the ground, only banged up my knee but i could walk on it and it was fine the next day. Hoping the frame isn't bent. Couldnt open the tail to get my information.

• Premium Member

The FZ was actually holding the focus off the ground, only banged up my knee but i could walk on it and it was fine the next day. Hoping the frame isn't bent. Couldnt open the tail to get my information.
Well, that sucks!  Glad you are o.k.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member

You'll both be right as rain and back at it in no time.

Not sure what you've got for a tail-light, nor am I claiming this device is the "grand savior from retards" but Ive got one on mine and would like to think it gets attention.

https://www.motorcycleinnovations.ca/CustomLED_p/magic-strobes.htm?CartID=7

• Like 1

Damn! That;s why I stopped commuting to work by bike. I now wait for the bus and watch people completely absorbed by their phones. I've seen iPads propped up on steering wheels and even school bus drivers texting at red lights. . Even see police DWLD (driving while looking down) and it's not legal here.

Have a really close look at EVERYTHING to make sure the frame or swinger or back wheel or even the forks are not tweaked. And even if it looks ok, make sure it tracks a straight line before you let this clown off the hook.

Nc work! I've never worked with fiberglass resin before but is it feasible to put several layers of it over cardboard, let it dry up and then paint/use it as a permanent windscreen? I've watched people make surf boards and it seems it would be the same technique and would work.

Beemer

• Premium Member
Nc work! I've never worked with fiberglass resin before but is it feasible to put several layers of it over cardboard, let it dry up and then paint/use it as a permanent windscreen? I've watched people make surf boards and it seems it would be the same technique and would work.

Yes, that would work. Use cloth with the resin.
  • Like 1

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

abjectpuddle
Damn! That;s why I stopped commuting to work by bike. I now wait for the bus and watch people completely absorbed by their phones. I've seen iPads propped up on steering wheels and even school bus drivers texting at red lights. . Even see police DWLD (driving while looking down) and it's not legal here. 
Have a really close look at EVERYTHING to make sure the frame or swinger or back wheel or even the forks are not tweaked. And even if it looks ok, make sure it tracks a straight line before you let this clown off the hook.
Getting it inspected at the shop right now.

It pays to stop and look around once in awhile. 
[video src=https://youtu.be/4kaG95ZIjHQ]

• Like 1

Beemer

• 4 months later...

bQJQwDcRvQCz3O6eU9Yr6B0m-uJP35clTjOyB6qB

Masking and adding scanning stickers.

HV_t8gVmtaAVG9c_USDkv1UfVRNzSIwbqx82UFWL

Creating a rough 3D Model

Zp9vAzOyNn7L_5jLW3O22KXv9rXBcKeN5UbHLT8j

This is HAL, our 3d scanner, there are many like it, but this one is ours.

Bgvo-U18W23s0QHlLhCM89bg21EHKHlnXM7i3J_F

JDg0R70Pv3X1uoldffr-X9Jj_bH5ETtQdAE1EsyA

Give that bitch a bath, bitches love baths.

6GXgX3RwUoWofL5vnbOIdIKQEr2zAyc89PFVid5n

3D model im gonna be using to create the model.

Haven't really done any work on the project since my accident. Will try to update regularly.

Polyureathane rigid shapable sheet would be perfect for that project. Easily shaped and you can join it together with kabab skewers until it resin hardens. You can use angles on the skewers to get a little compression of the joints when still wet. Cut off the poking out bits after hardens. Used for insulation.

Construction pic and final carbon shape.

CIMG0002.JPG

CIMG0026.JPG

• Like 2

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• 2 years later...