The MT-07 Forum

Just another awesome review on 2WDW's ECU flash service

Duke

Just got my ECU back in the mail today from @2wheeldynoworks  and it was quick! I had sent it out on Wednesday last week and just got it today (Tuesday). On the first ride, right away I could tell it was more responsive with the throttle and has a smoother engine feel. I had just got the DNA air filter and a Black Widow exhaust so getting my ECU flashed was a must and I didn't want to get a PowerCommander or EJK. Just wanted to get it done professionally and not think about it. Loving it so far! It really makes all the best qualities of the FZ-07 shine even more. Thanks Derek and Nels for everything!

Qbqi_TJI_Imgur.jpg

You do you and I'll do me.

What is the difference between a flash and something like an EJK?
From what I understand, flashing your ECU allows you to change more of the factory restrictions/settings whereas a fuel programmer (PowerCommander, EJK, etc.) piggybacks on the ECU and can only make limited adjustments like fuel ratios. 
I believe both options are useful as long as you know why you're getting them. An custom ECU flash will tune your bike to be 95% optimal and the fuel programmer will get you that last 5%. That last 5% is only useful if you're a professional or know exactly what you want from your track-only bike.

Anyone else reading this, please correct me if I'm wrong or help me better understand the differences if my explanation seems lacking!

Here's a video I watched that got me asking about ECU flashes:
[video src=https://youtu.be/z75FFPo7byE?t=16s" size="large]

He says there is a fuel cut-off and that it cause massive engine braking. He also says fuel cut-off cannot be erased with a programmer.

Now, AFAIK, my bike has not had a flash, but has an EJK. The computer reads 2.5 litre per 100 km on trailing throttle (94 mpg). So either there is no fuel cut-off, or the computer is showing the wrong number. Actually, any number would be wrong.

I also find the transition from off to on throttle rapid, but smooth. Engine braking is massive. Unlike my car, which does have fuel cut-off and very noticeable on/off action in addition to virtually no engine braking.

In my experience, a lean mixture on trailing throttle will give little engine braking, whereas a rich mixture will give plenty of engine braking. Not sure what no mixture will give, but I cannot recall a single car with fuel cut-off that had any engine braking to speak of.

• Premium Member

I dunno about EU or other models outside of USA, but in USA afaik Yamaha turns the deceleration injection off to get the MPG up and to please the EPA... an ECU reflash will turn it back on to allow smoother deceleration and reduce popping heard when aftermarket exhaust are installed... AFAIK EU bikes get the best fueling mapping right off the showroom floor...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Global Moderator

There are dyno charts in the vendor section. I have a totally stock setup and was amazed how smooth everything was after the flash. I wish I had done it earlier.

• Premium Member

Even though my current configuration feels fantastic, (so maybe it's just for the hell of it, I dunno) Im still considering a flash.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

• 1 month later...

Duke,

On your DNA filter did you cut the stock snorkle that goes into the filter itself?

Nevermind.......stupid question. I just relaized its designed to drop in place on its own or use their $100 cover which is too much for a piece of plastic. I wonder if the stock one can be cut out to fit over it.

Duke, 

On your DNA filter did you cut the stock snorkle that goes into the filter itself?

Nevermind.......stupid question. I just relaized its designed to drop in place on its own or use their $100 cover which is too much for a piece of plastic. I wonder if the stock one can be cut out to fit over it.
I believe there's a YouTube video on just that. I remember seeing it a long time ago.

Duke, 

I believe there's a YouTube video on just that. I remember seeing it a long time ago.
I saw a video of the cover but I am not sure its 100% needed. I mean yeah, smoothing out airflow would be great but its not like the filter is really restrictive.

• Global Moderator

I just removed the snorkel and have the stock air box lid.  The snorkel just pulls off, no cutting is required and you can do it with the plastics still on.  I would not do it without the flash though as it will run too lean.

I saw a video of the cover but I am not sure its 100% needed. I mean yeah, smoothing out airflow would be great but its not like the filter is really restrictive.
The dna cover bolts down over the dna filter to fasten it in place. The stock filter has an internal bolt that holds it down (you can remove the stock cover if you wish) - the dna filter does not.

There are probably diy workarounds to fasten the dna filter down without the need for the cover.

Someone really needs to make a 3d printable file of an effective air filter cover... ;)

wasn't sure where to post this didn't want to create a new thread just for this question so hopefully ppl will see it here.

I have been trying to reach the guys at 2wheeldyno for a few days.
I've called, left voice message and texted (like instructed on their machine) but nothing.

what kind of response times have other ppl experienced?
and if anyone has any tips for increasing my chances of getting a response I'd be extremely grateful.

I was having some work done on my bike so was really hoping to send the ecu off and get it back while the bike was being worked on so as to kill two birds with one stone and not have to be without the bike for any longer than necessary.

cheers.

2017 FZ-07 ABS

wasn't sure where to post this didn't want to create a new thread just for this question so hopefully ppl will see it here. 
I have been trying to reach the guys at 2wheeldyno for a few days.
I've called, left voice message and texted (like instructed on their machine) but nothing.

what kind of response times have other ppl experienced?
and if anyone has any tips for increasing my chances of getting a response I'd be extremely grateful.

I was having some work done on my bike so was really hoping to send the ecu off and get it back while the bike was being worked on so as to kill two birds with one stone and not have to be without the bike for any longer than necessary.

cheers.
Hmm that's odd. I did my ECU flash two months ago and didn't have any trouble reaching Derek or Nels. 
Have you tried emailing them and letting them know you're a forum member?

Here's the contact info I have for them:
Nels or Derek with 2Wheel DynoWorks
425-269-5332
2wheeldynoworks@gmail.com

hey guys pls disregard or delete my post.
they were at the track and got back to me today so all is well.
very excited to get my ecu tuned!

installing a whole bunch of parts on the bike while the ecu is getting tuned so will post some pics when I'm all done.

gonna look really sick imo.

2017 FZ-07 ABS

Archived