The MT-07 Forum

Akrapovic carbon, autotune or no?

hughes5567

I'm new to the forum and new to tuning on efi systems. I've done a few older bikes with carburetors but this is my first time dealing with a PCV. What I have is a 2016 fz07 with a full akrapovic carbon system and a pcv that is mapped to the only akrapovic map available (titanium). The bike seems to run well but has some popping on gear change and decel and my #2 cyl appears to be running hotter than #1 judging by the header color. I know the maps that dynojet puts out are somewhat generic, but my question is, is autotune really worth the money? Will it make a difference in the way my bike runs? Keep in mind I am in Tennessee and deal with a lot of weather and altitude change on a normal ride. Thanks guys.

• Premium Member

Header color varies from too many variables to determine engine temps by exhaust color...

In order to use autotune you will need to weld another o2 sensor bung...also run a wire to allow per gear mapping
The decel popping is a byproduct of Yamaha ecu codes to achieve uber MPG by shutting off deceleration fueling, hence the monstrous engine braking the FZ-07 are known for...to solve that you will need an ECU reflash or a DIY bench flash kit...
I have autotune for my setup, still not 100% happy but more like 95% happy with results of my effort...took me about 3-4 months to get what I wanted, lots of trial and error and learning experiences...

Your best bet,even cheaper than autotune, is to pay for a an ECU reflash from the forum vendor 2wdw... you can pay for quicker shipping instead of the generic flat rate box rates/ship times, total time down is less than a week if you pick generic flat rate box shipping...the decel pop will be practicaly elminated, fan temps turn on quicker, no speed limiter and too much stuff to list that an autotune cannot do...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

@norcal616 Thanks for the reply. Some good info in there. The next question I have is will the ECU flash from 2wdw affect the pcv I currently have installed? Does it render the pcv useless, make it better, or make no difference at all?

• Premium Member

If you get a ECU reflash you will need to zero out all values in the PCV if you wanna keep it to do some ultra fine tuning with the local dyno guru for the last 3% for the best results or if you add a Hordpower Airbox for example or something there is no reflash for, I use both a 2wdw flash and PVC/AT combo for my set up... Otherwise you can remove the PCV from the bike if you go with a reflash...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

You can tune out decel popping with the PCV. I did it with mine. All you do is go into the 0% throttle range and from about 2000RPM up to max RPM, you increase the fueling values by 5 at a time until the decel popping stops then you can fine tune by values of 1 until you get your desired result. You don't want to go anymore than that or you'll be wasting fuel while decelerating "yes I said wasting fuel while decelerating". Essentially what you are doing is richening the mixture when you are off throttle to eliminate the lean backfiring that occurs and if you go too rich, it will dump too much fuel out while your deceling and make your mileage go down. I currently have mine set at 9 and have just a slight burble every once in a while on decel.

To the OP: I live in KY which is not too much different than TN as far as weather goes. Your altitude may vary a little more than where I'm at but probably not by a significant amount. I would say that the akra map from dynojet should still be pretty close even though you're running the carbon seeing that the dyno numbers from akra on the two exhausts are not drastically different. There are so many variables that go into tuning and to get it perfect you would just be chasing your tail to get it perfectly dialed for every ride. Humidity and air temp change daily so every time you ride your tune will either be a little rich or a little lean no matter what. Auto tune would probably be a decent investment if you don't have any dyno tuning shops near by and would most likely get you closer than just a downloadable map would. I've been debating getting one myself but the only thing holding me back is my exhaust is the Akra Titanium. Although I am a TIG welder by trade, I don't have access to titanium filler rod to weld a bung for the auto tune, and don't want to buy a box of filler wire for one weld (know what I mean?). I've never messed with Titanium welding (I'm pretty confident I could do it) I just don't have the knowledge of what alloys are what when it comes to Ti. I've not really stressed about getting my bike dyno tuned or adding the auto tune because I've not had any abnormal symptoms of my bike running overly lean or rich so I know it's very close on tune.

hughes5567

@carguy7a i will try the tune with the PCV for decel pop. problem is i only have a mac book and have to constantly borrow a windows computer to change tunes. also i called the guys down at 2wdw and they ran me through their ecu flash. really knowledgeable guys and they are really detailed with their maps. it is also cheaper than the PCV and auto tune, but it has a much finer tune and a lot of things PCV just cant control with no extra parts. im really considering giving it a shot. 

• Premium Member
norcal616

I used a cheapie windows based tablet w/WIFI I got at best buy for $50 bucks to instal and use my PCV/autotuner...the phone based app is pointless...

Archived