The MT-07 Forum

Dont run from cops, especially on a cruiser. Rider death..

Cruizin

This guy tried to outrun cops on a cruiser, slowing down slow on corners, and then played a game of slowing down and speeding up.

Wreck at end of video. Rider did not survive.

Cop at fault? It seems that he got pissed off and sick of chasing the guy and stomped on gas to hit him.

• Global Moderator

i hate seeing videos like this, but since you ask....
....if you look closely you can see a half second before the collision between the two, the rider has his brake lights on.
also the gps shows a drop in speed of 1mph, not sure how significant that is. But could be quite so. It also came quite close several other times throughout the chase because of how much the rider slowed down.

Best tip though.... unless youre on an 1000cc or above and have the name Marc Márquez or Valentino Rossi.....dont run from the cops...

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member

Call me callous, but take the risk, pay the price.  Cop at fault? Matter of opinion. The f'ing idiot on the bike could've killed someone while playing at being a bad ass. I would've nudged him too. Sympathy zero.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

There are many aspects to consider here. First, having the police chasing in the first place involves higher risks in the first place, also for bystanders. But you cannot let any idiot behave as they want just because there is a risk involved in catching them. The speeds in this case wasn't extreme and I think the cop made the right decision.

The cop also showed impressive skills in just nudging the bike. The rider had no protective gear whatsoever and must have been stoned or something - if you want to split from the cops you make sure you can, or you don't try.

The actual accident happened because of several things going wrong (for the rider) at once. There was a nudge that put him a little off balance. He tried to get away by getting hard on the throttle. He was on a poor trajectory already, meaning he had to pass on the inside of the car in front. Perhaps that was already is plan, trying to get some distance between himself and the cop - we will never know. The car in front moved over to the side, which is correct procedure, to make room for the police car. When moving over, there was no longer room for the motorcycle. There was a crash, and the rest is history. No big loss for humanity and, at least as far as we can establish, nobody else was physically harmed.

Guest 2wheeler
There are many aspects to consider here. First, having the police chasing in the first place involves higher risks in the first place, also for bystanders. But you cannot let any idiot behave as they want just because there is a risk involved in catching them. The speeds in this case wasn't extreme and I think the cop made the right decision. 
The cop also showed impressive skills in just nudging the bike. The rider had no protective gear whatsoever and must have been stoned or something - if you want to split from the cops you make sure you can, or you don't try.

The actual accident happened because of several things going wrong (for the rider) at once. There was a nudge that put him a little off balance. He tried to get away by getting hard on the throttle. He was on a poor trajectory already, meaning he had to pass on the inside of the car in front. Perhaps that was already is plan, trying to get some distance between himself and the cop - we will never know. The car in front moved over to the side, which is correct procedure, to make room for the police car. When moving over, there was no longer room for the motorcycle. There was a crash, and the rest is history. No big loss for humanity and, at least as far as we can establish, nobody else was physically harmed.
I have huge issues with this situation!  
Any motorcyclist, and most assuredly any cop, knows that hitting a motorcycle at 64mph is going to cause the motorcyclist to wreck, and considering that he apparently had no helmet, that would likely result in death. Yes, the guy was an idiot, and could have caused somebody to die as a result of his actions, but at that point nobody had gotten hurt as far as we know. Who the f.uck does that cop think he is to essentially kill him. I'm a big supporter of the police force in this country, but it's shet like this that gives the cops a bad name. Quite frankly I hope that guy's family sues the shet out of that cop and wins big! Yeah, the guy screwed up big time, but that doesn't mean the cop can execute a death sentence.... and people praising the outcome is some kind of f.ucked up!!!

People, that dude is f.ucking dead. We have enough concerns for our safety as motorcyclists, we don't need this shet too.

Told you I have huge issues on this!

I'm seeing it different than 2wheeler; it looks to me like he hit the gas while being unstable after being bumped and that was the main factor, I also think he could have killed someone else and getting the idiot off the road was a good choice. It was almost a 6 minute chase, not 30 seconds too. I say give him a Darwin Award and be done with it.

hugson2wheels

This isn't the 80s or 90s, law enforcement equip themselves and their vehicles with cameras. And of course to state the obvious... It's dangerous to others and yourself to run from the police. As well as it being against the law. It's beyond stupid, immature and irresponsible to do so.

If god created us in his image, does that mean god is an egomaniac as well?

Guest 2wheeler
This isn't the 80s or 90s, law enforcement equip themselves and their vehicles with cameras. And of course to state the obvious... It's dangerous to others and yourself to run from the police. As well as it being against the law. It's beyond stupid, immature and irresponsible to do so.
.... and he deserves to die over it??? 
Who knows what the guy's back story is, and how many family members he left behind. As a long term recovering alcoholic (30+ years), I can tell you MANY stories of stupid and dangerous shet people have done, but that cop shouldn't have hit him!

[div]That cop could've broke off the chase (there weren't a lot of people out there on the road) and maybe the guy would've slowed down, went home and learned a lesson from the experience and never done it again. No harm, no foul as they say and so what if he got away, most people that run from cops actually do get away so it's nothing new to cops but some people just can't let anything go when they take things personal instead of professional. Is that what happened here? Maybe. 

Aside from that, if he had made it to his deserved court date for his traffic violation the cop may've learned the guy possibly missed taking his meds or was suicidal and needed talking to more than bumping into to help him with his problem? I love it when cops take things personal instead of professional and practice the vigilante justice they've sworn to bring to justice.
BTW, those bumps were no accident. Cops are trained to do that to cause the driver of a vehicle (car or motorcycle) to lose control, wreck and come (they hope or maybe don't) to a safe stop. Seems to me there were safer places to bump into the guy other than right behind a car they were approaching quickly. Geez, I wonder if wrecking a bike at over 60 mph. can kill a person??? Anyone?
[/div]

Beemer

Guest 2wheeler
[div]Geez, I wonder if wrecking a bike at over 60 mph. can kill a person??? Anyone? [/div]
No way... people never get killed in 60 mph wrecks when they aren't wearing a helmet  >:D

hugson2wheels
.... and he deserves to die over it??? 
Who knows what the guy's back story is, and how many family members he left behind. As a long term recovering alcoholic (30+ years), I can tell you MANY stories of stupid and dangerous shet people have done, but that cop shouldn't have hit him!

? Who said he deserves to die for it??? I was just stating obvious facts nothing more. Perhaps you should learn to control your feelings and stop acting like modern day media.

I would like to reiterate and make it clear that I do not hate all cops, most do a pretty good job and don't act like "the kid that got picked on throughout school". Something I don't understand about the systems' logic is this. The system is constantly letting violent offenders out of prison way early just to be repeat offenders over and over and over and we're paying for it so I don't think letting a speeder, that hasn't hurt anyone, go free before he or anyone else is hurt from being chased. I understand cops might not think like that and are simply following orders and their training but their orders and training are sometimes f*cked if you take the time to analyze it. It seems upholding the law is sometimes more important than peoples lives in certain situations. It's just sad that police chiefs and judges allow it all in the name of the law. They are the ones that are really at fault here. ;)

Beemer

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. In this day and age, most places have no pursuit policies when it comes to traffic infractions, especially if it's a motorcycle. I suspect there was more going on with the guy than just getting lit up and then deciding not to stop but without being there and knowing all the facts surrounding it you can't say the popo are in the wrong.

See, that's part of the problem right there, no pursuit policies and people get killed over traffic infractions that harmed no one. It's stupid! "South Carolina’s ‘Rules of Engagement’ state that a ‘pursuit is justified only when the necessity of the apprehension of a suspect outweighs the risks created by the pursuit."
Yes, people are also stupid to run from the law but that doesn't give cops the right to enact their own justice unless of course their name is Judge Dread but we all know what a joke a judge, jury and executioner with an attitude like him can be. Thank you!

Edit: I don't see it anywhere in the news that the guy did anything other than the traffic violations we see in the video so that answers that question.
Cops are now trying to say the guys shifting caused the accident. BS! The cop had already purposely bumped him once when he wasn't downshifting so the 2nd bump was no accident. Like I said before, they're trained to do that and so he did. They are highly trained drivers and if he didn't want to bump him he should've been off his ass. What happens when we follow too close and bump someone? Right, we are at fault for following too close. I get angry at times of seeing how citizens are taken for fools and walked all over by the justice system and then the media backs them. They use words and half truths to stir up feelings of anger so that everyone feels for the cop and it's the same old song & dance, nothing changes. We'll see if justice is served.

Beemer

• Premium Member

Cop made a decision to take the guy out, its at minimum voluntary manslaughter IMO. On that note running from the Cops is stupid

The Cop might as well pulled out a gun and shot him it would have been the same thing in my eyes.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

Beemer, I see what you mean and if you read my first post you will see I touched on the same issues. Where we differ is in the conclusion; from what little evidence we have (a few minutes of video) I think the cop acted reasonably in his attempt of preventing the rider from hurting somebody. You feel he should have avoided chasing the rider. If we had access to all evidence, I may have concluded the same way. But if the cop had managed to nudge the biker into a gentle fall, no other harm done, I reckon the majority would have applauded his actions. Unfortunately, the rider hit the throttle with a heavy wrist, looked for a gap to escape through only for it to close on him. IMO, he would have gone for the gap regardless, judged by his choice of trajectory before the nudge. Hence the outcome would likely have been the same regardless. So the way I see it, Darwin came into play here, but there may be more to it that could have altered my opinion.

• Premium Member
you can't say the popo are in the wrong.
Yeah you can.... tell that to the love ones that were left behind.
Yeah, well maybe the cop could've or should've broken off the high speed chase. But it IS HIS DUTY to enforce the law and protect the public from idiots. This moron on the motorcycle could've killed someone or many by his actions so hypothetically speaking, how would that have been for their loved ones? Innocent, law abiding people killed by an idiot running from police. Who's to say if the cop's actions were malicious or if he was simply doing his duty and made a call based on training and experience, we'll never know.  
For reasons unknown this idiot chose to thumb his nose at the fuzz, this idiot wasnt wearing gear, this idiot wasnt even wearing a helmet, this idiot didnt care to consider "his loved ones" or any bystanders, or even his own well being for that matter, this idiot considered himself above the law and possibly considered himself untouchable and this idiot paid the price.

Tell his loved ones he shirked the law and INSTIGATED a 6+ minute HIGH SPEED CHASE without any consideration for anyone but himself.  They can put A.C.A.B on this idiot's tombstone, its probably what he would've wanted.

Actions and Choices=Consequences. Most of us learn this very simple concept by the time we stop crapping our pants. Those that dont are either in prison, junkies, or dead etc. Cry me a river for this idiot and idiots everywhere. 

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

AlbatrossCafe

Stupid to run (I've done it, I know), stupider for the cop to chase after a certain point (when he first knew the guy was "eluding", I would call it off), and stupidest to ride without gear - ESPECIALLY a helmet.

There was very obviously enough video to get that guy's plate. That gives them an ID and address. Now who knows why he was running, but chances are he is not going to go home after this and skip town and murder 20 people. It is very likely that he would think he got away and chill out. Plate gives ID and it's an easy find later. This guy had no helmet - the cop should have known there is almost no way for this to end well.

hugson2wheels
Stupid to run (I've done it, I know), stupider for the cop to chase after a certain point (when he first knew the guy was "eluding", I would call it off), and stupidest to ride without gear - ESPECIALLY a helmet. 
There was very obviously enough video to get that guy's plate. That gives them an ID and address. Now who knows why he was running, but chances are he is not going to go home after this and skip town and murder 20 people. It is very likely that he would think he got away and chill out. Plate gives ID and it's an easy find later. This guy had no helmet - the cop should have known there is almost no way for this to end well.

@albatrosscafe and @mrpuss Well said. Is the cop at fault for his death? Yes and no. To say it's 100% his fault is a crime in itself.

You pointed out something important. Let's examine the rider. No gear, no helmet, breaking the law, then evading an officer.

You become highly suspect when you try to evade the police. How does the officer know this guy wasn't heading somewhere to cause more mayhem or do something worse. When you decide to run, the officers involved will assume you are hiding something and/or have a warrant. It is their job to pursue.

Yes, the cop should have backed off and called for backup while continuing his pursuit. But to put 100% of the blame on the cop is wrong for this particular situation. Any responsible law abiding adult would understand this.

Ultimately I place most of the blame on the motorcyclist for the simple fact of riding with ZERO gear and putting police officers in that situation by running from them. And less of the blame on the cop because he could have backed off. **I think only one other person mentioned the fact that the guy on the bike could have killed someone as he kept going into the opposite side of the road (oncoming traffic)** So many people are ready to blame cops and it's wrong.

Some forum members prefer to post vague replies and acronyms in HUGE letters and in bold typeface none the less. (I get it. You're starved for attention. But you only show how fragile your ego is.)

Guest 2wheeler
Yes, the cop should have backed off and called for backup while continuing his pursuit. But to put 100% of the blame on the cop is wrong for this particular situation. Any responsible law abiding adult would understand this.

Some forum members prefer to post vague replies and acronyms in HUGE letters and in bold typeface none the less. (I get it. You're starved for attention. But you only show how fragile your ego is.)
You know it's BS like this that makes me want to vomit on how unbelievably f.cked up our society is becoming.  
Using the phrase "how fragile your ego is" because someone gives a damn about another's life is the epitome of how pervasive the desensitization of America is becoming - truly pathetic!!!

!00% to blame... seriously!!!  Oh so it's OK for a cop who is pissed off with reason to knowingly cause an accident which will very likely kill the person??? The only thing that I am getting out of this thread is an appreciation that I was raised in a family with a truly great moral compass as I would never default to the level of the Darwinian-like commentary I am reading here.

I'm done with this thread!

Archived