The MT-07 Forum

Most quiet /comfortable helmet

crsnhppr

Most quiet: Schubert.
Most comfy: Depends on who you ask, and the shape of your head. I use a Rossi replica helmet because it fits me. I even had one when I rode the Intruder 1400. Not concerned with how I look, just functionality. The AGV is not nearly as silent as a Schubert, but far less noisy than Arai. The Schuberts and Shoeis I have tried have been not uncomfortable, but downright painful. Arai is OK once I remove a little padding from the temples, AGV and also Nolan tend to suit my scull.

bigdaddybane

Too many variables ... buy the quietest helmet but one/two sizes bigger and it will become the loudest. I agree with the previous post, Schubert lids tend to be very quiet, super comfortable as well. It really depends on the shape of your head, riding style and of course everyone has a different tolerance for noise levels. For the past 15 years I ride with Arai and found their helmets very very comfortable but noise and buffeting varies from model to model. I'm sure you'll get the same feedback from people wearing Shoei, Icon, Nolan, AGV etc.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

One would need objective indicators of "comfortable." This variable is by its very nature subjective. Let us know what it means for you, please.

For me, one of the few important objective factors of comfort is helmet weight. In part, for this reason I wear the NEXX Zero. A few other objective issues are quietness (which you note) and visual field, both of which can be measured and compared. Regarding comfort, unless you have an identical twin and are reasonably young to accept his recommendation, the best thing to do is start trying on different helmets. Best of luck!

Guest 2wheeler

I recently learned the hard way that some helmets are more for round heads and some are more oval-shaped for those type of heads. I recently bought a HJC IS-Max 2 helmet, and after a hour or more, I had a pressure headache in my forehead area. I don't mean a small headache either. The helmet fit fine in the store, and the clerk went to great lengths to determine if it fit correctly. To his credit, he said to wear it around the house for a hour, and if I got a headache to return it. Obviously I didn't listen to him - my bad!

I callled Revzilla, and got talking with one of their salesmen who happened to have an oval-shaped head, and he gave me a ton of info on helmets, head shapes, and fixes. Ultimately I used a railroad spike to do some custom alterations to the helmet foam. The weight and the round head of a railroad spike worked wonders in slightly compressing the foam in the problem areas. It didn't take much compression to make the helmet comfortable, and I highly doubt that will affect the protection of the helmet.

Comfort lesson learned - figure out the shape of your head, talk with a knowledgeable salesman, or at least buy from a place that you can return it to, and then try it on for an hour before your ride.

Weird thing is that I never had that problem before.

BTW, the HJC IS-Max 2 is a very cool modular helmet that is fairly quiet. Unfortunately you can only get so quiet with a modular, but I am willing to deal with that in favor of the sheer convenience of the modular.

• Global Moderator

My personal favourite is the Shoei GT-Air. I have the Wanderer and it is the quietest helm I have owned so far. I ditched my modular Shark for it.

shoei_gt_air_wanderer_helmet_rollover.jpg

• Global Moderator
Got a link??

[video src=https://youtu.be/NnZSEq942Pk]

My personal favourite is the Shoei GT-Air. I have the Wanderer and it is the quietest helm I have owned so far. I ditched my modular Shark for it. 
shoei_gt_air_wanderer_helmet_rollover.jpg

When you talk of it's quietness are you mostly talking about the lack of rushing wind sound inside the helmet? I hear that a lot with mine at highway speeds. Other than that, at lower speeds, I love my helmet but am willing to break it's heart if need be. I definitely don't want a helmet that suppresses the sound of traffic around me. I trust your judgement and thank you! 

Beemer

• Global Moderator
Something...
Yes. I can hear the ambient traffic sounds perfectly fine but the rushing wind at speed is significantly less then my previous helmets. It is still there though. 
I think it has to do with the overall build quality and fit. Mind you, there might be quieter helmets out there, but I was specifically looking for something quiet and ended up with this one. I am pretty sure my previous helmets gave me Tinnitus so sound is an issue for me. 

Thank you for the response. That's exactly what I needed to hear. Mine fits well (snug) but apparently the design of the padding at the lower base of the helmet (on the sides) doesn't make contact with my skin (gaps) and allows air to rush in because if I put my hand in between the helmet and my neck it blocks the wind sound inside a lot. I've thought about buying some real soft foam, cut it to size and super glue it inside on top of the existing foam at the gaps but I'm a little hesitant. If it ruins the helmet I'll be forced to buy something immediately.

I guess I just want to try and get a little more of my money's worth before I junk the helmet.

Beemer

Thank you for the response. That's exactly what I needed to hear. Mine fits well (snug) but apparently the design of the padding at the lower base of the helmet (on the sides) doesn't make contact with my skin (gaps) and allows air to rush in because if I put my hand in between the helmet and my neck it blocks the wind sound inside a lot. I've thought about buying some real soft foam, cut it to size and super glue it inside on top of the existing foam at the gaps but I'm a little hesitant. If it ruins the helmet I'll be forced to buy something immediately.  

I guess I just want to try and get a little more of my money's worth before I junk the helmet.

You can try one of these: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/The-Original-Quiet-Rider-Helmet-Skirt-Reduce-Helmet-Noise-amp-Increase-Comfort-/181229304189

Or this one:
https://www.amazon.ca/WINDJAMMER-Helmets-original-Worldwide-Proline/dp/B003FHLNVK

Its a skirt for the bottom of the helmet. My old helmet was the Bell Qualifier Deluxe, loudest helmet I've ever had. Was thinking of getting the skirt for it till I got a good deal on my Shoei. I like the looks of the Quiet Rider because I have a Sena 20S on my helmet and how the wind jammer is installed I don't know how the Sena would mount.

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure what size you have, but you can usually buy thicker cheekpads for most helmets. You could try that, too. Could also try wearing a neck tube thing. It's like finding the glass slipper when you find a helmet that fits your head just right. Hope you figure out something that works.

Harley Vrod guys say this is the schnizit

X002.jpg

image hosting anonymous

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

I've noted that the quieter helmets are usually the oval helmets.

This VOZZ one is a quiet helmet too:

• 2 weeks later...

I heavily recommend Shark Speed-R (v2) if you can get it discounted (I think Shark stopped making them last year, got mine at ~190Euros (incl. shipping +taxes)) it's a bargain: Double-D (safety++), Sun-visor (comfort++) and not as quiet as a Schuberth but very very well above average sound isolation (comfort++), chin textile patch for less air turbulence (comfort++) but that comes at a price, air flow inside the helmet is so-so, mouth-nose is OK but hair cooling is lacking unless you are cruising at >100kmh so comfort-- if you live/ride in hot areas (30-40 Celsius) and don't have some straights to speed up to cool.

I'd also take a look at Scorpion Exo1200 a friend has it, and he is very happy; from our chats I'd say Exo1200 has more cooling but with some noise.

I believe common wisdom is that Schuberth is state of the art when talking about sound-proof helmets (I've never had one, so can't comment on it)

Archived