The MT-07 Forum

Gear shift rod and selector?

cooper2931

So being an amateur rider, I took a spill a couple of weeks ago (long story short took a turn and didn't lean/press enough into it and panicked, took out a 4x4 mail box with my hip and broke my pelvis, 6-8 week full recovery) and the bike didn't take hardly any damage since it missed the mailbox unlike myself. 

I did bend the gear selector and rod that connected it pretty badly.  Checking around on a few sites and calling in to my local dealership they said that they are not sure when they will be available.  My local dealership said $200+ for the parts.  Any recommendations as I plan on installing it myself or having my father put it on (he is the handy guy and familiar with working on bikes)?

Thanks for any help or advice guys, just very very disappointed that this happened and the instant it did I wanted to punch myself in the face badly out of frustration but thankfully I am okay (well recovering)

Sorry to hear about your pelvis.
As Nicky says, you should be able to straighten the gear selector, if not, you should be able to replace it yourself. Its pretty strait forward. You should have lots of time to watch "how to" videos on YT right now.

Definitely wont be able to straighten it. This is frustrating I just want to get the part and get it fixed so I know that it is ride-able for when I am able to ride

http://www.yamahapartshouse.com/ -Site has everything needed for repairs!
Just needed the gear shift selector as my rod was still completely straight. The connection point that attached to the ball joint on the shift selector was broken in half luckily that part comes with the gear selector! All said and done a new gear selector and right rear view mirror is costing me $95 with shipping. Will have the bike up and running in a couple of weeks. Will replace all the side paneling that got damaged over the course of the winter which all 4 major pieces were roughly $35 a pop so only looking at a total of under $300 to get the bike looking brand new! A lot cheaper to fix the bike then myself.

If I do end up riding again (which I do want to) I am sticking to neighborhoods and parking lots until I get much much better and also getting full gear including pants and a nice riding jacket. Thanks for the help guys!

Had insurance but the deductible is more costly. Cheaper to pay for it myself

Good call.  I'd never claim something so minor.  

Life is good on 2 wheels!

Bummed to hear about the wreck. Heal up soon!

Don't give up on riding btw. It sounds like a standard target fixation wreck. Watch Keith Codes' Twist of the Wrist II while you are healing up. It will better prepare you for your next ride :)

• Premium Member

Could you post up a pic of the damaged parts you wish to replace, I could see about putting a "how to" up to walk you through it. Any chance to tinker and learn the in's and out's of our bikes is always welcome.

Keep the rubber side down and the shiny side up.

Archived