The MT-07 Forum

Why did you buy an FZ-07?

faffi

• Premium Member

I bought my FZ-07 for the same reasons I bought my last bike ('86 Yamaha Radian, yes it was that long ago), real world usable power/torque curve, UJM/naked ergonomics & customizability (if that's not a real word it should be), bargain price & sexy look. Not necessarily in that order.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member
Aaaaaand we're completely off the rails now. :D
And it feels so good :D
How dare you hijack your own thread! :D 

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Global Moderator

Nothing gets past @dewman
Or @beemer, or @mr.puss

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

The FZ07 was my very first bike.

My wife and I both learned how to ride in 1999 from my brother-in-law. We both wanted to own motorcycles the very next day. As fate would have it, living in an apartment, her car was broken into and attempted to be stolen (it was an mr2). She had the Club on and although they tried to cut the steering wheel, they didn't cut through all the way through. Something must've spooked them as they left. But regardless, the damage was done... we knew not to buy a motorcycle without a garage.

So all I did was daydream and internet window shop. A bike caught my eye. For me, it was a new thing. The naked bike. A Triumph street triple. It wasn't necessarily the Triumph that I wanted, it was this modern naked bike. All I knew were supersports and cruisers. I wasn't really aware of modern nakeds. I then also lusted after the Buell Lightning. A buddy of mine knew I grew up in Japan and wasn't aware of Harleys, so he warned me of the Buell's engine sound probably isn't something I would like. So I kind of moved on from the Lightning.

A few years pass and I also daydreamed of 600cc supersports. Recently I was rummaging through some business folders and found printouts of Yamaha R6 from 2002. Apparently I was researching those as well.

Anyways, basically well over 10 years pass, home ownership, 4 car garage. A chance stumbling upon an MSF course in-progress at the local shopping mall area and it re-ignited the motorcycle desires in my wife and I. I complete it, and right away it was back on the internet.

For some reason I went straight to Yamaha and saw the lineup and my eye instantly went to the FZ07 and I knew what I wanted. Then the research. 3 motovlog review videos in particular sold me. Even though this was my very first bike, somehow I knew I can handle it and 2 weeks after completing my MSF course, my wife goes out and gets the bike for my birthday and I rode home on my FZ07 on Friday 5pm traffic.

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

Nothing gets past @dewman Or @beemer , or @mr.puss
Darn tootin'! 

three_musketeers.jpg I got 1st dibs on Mickey, heh!  8-)

Beemer

• Premium Member
cornerslider

I've been riding bikes for about 40 years. I do track days on a supermoto, and small sport bikes. Most recently was a 2016 KTM RC390. After a season of riding the RC, it became apparent that my 48 year-old neck was having none of it.... I sold it, and ordered a 2017 KTM Duke 390. After several missed delivery dates (both in 2016 & 2017), I decided to walk away from KTM. I pulled the trigger about a week ago on a new 2016 FZ-07. Maybe "bad" things happen for good reasons..... The more I ride the FZ-07, the more I KNOW that I made the right choice. BTW- it sounds like the Dukes are not due in until sometime in June....

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

lonerider

My first street bike was a 1981 Yamaha Seca 750 (bought in '91). 76 hp and 481 pounds with shaft drive. Had a couple of bikes after that. Doing some track days a few years. Then i went to the adventure bikes mode. In late 2013, i test ride a Yamaha FZ-09. Great ride, falled in love with the engine's sound. But i knew that i didn't need all that power. 75 hp is all i need. Had 2 bikes with 100 hp. Loved my previous Suzuki SV650S. So, i told my local Yamaha dealer, to call me when the MT07 will come to Canada. Riding bikes like the Seca II and the FZ6, the chance of getting a naked bike was almost none. But told myself that i didn't do road's trip. So .... bought the 07 in the spring of 2014. Loved this engine.

I promised to myself to keep this bike for at least 4 years. I never kept a bike more than 4 years. Why? I like diversity. And i don't want to have more than one bike at a time. Been there, done that. It will be hard to keep the 07 till the end of 2018. For me, the best bike would be a light adventure bike.

Is the 07 is the greatest bike i owned? Nope. If it had the quarter fairing and the suspension of my previous FZ6, it would be a better bike. Duo riding on the 07 is no fun at all. The passenger seat is only good for a tail bag.

past bikes: WR250X, KLR650, V-Strom 1000, DR650, FZ-6, SV650S, Seca II, GS400S, Seca 750, YZ80.

Archived