The MT-07 Forum

Installation & thoughts of ogio Stealth Black tail bag

DewMan

• Premium Member

I needed a bargain priced tailbag to get by with until I spend some more time with my new FZ-07 and decide what I want for a long term tail storage.
I ran across the OGIO 110091.36 Stealth Black Duffle Tail Bag  on Amazon for what I felt was a fair price with decent features. After spending a few days with it I thought I'd share my thoughts on it.
I know others have posted about this bag but I figure there can never be too much information about accessories when you're looking for just the right piece for your bike.
[strong]It's a good basic bag with good base features but could use some improvements that shouldn't increase the price.[/strong][strong]
[/strong][strong]PLUS:
[/strong]Non-skid & non-marring integrated base matIntegrated rain cover with it's own dedicated pocket in the front.Handy side and top pockets.Expandable main compartment. Will barely hold my size Large Shoei RF1200 helmet when expanded.4 individual straps with loops on one end and buckles on the other end to make mounting easier.About as large a bag as will fit without drooping over the edges of the rear seat.Smooth zippers.Carry handle
MINUS:A bit floppy if not full.No internal pockets or dividers.Side pockets narrow. a 15x15 net pretty much fills one side.Top pocket won't hold much more than a pair of gloves.Buckles glued to bag at a set angle minimizing  mounting options. No ability to mount straps to the sides of the bag.No way to lock zippers.No shoulder strap

See below for pictures of the mounting solution I decided on that allows leaving the straps on the bike relatively unobtrusively. If you've come up with a different solution that works for you I'd love to see it.
If I can answer any questions you may have I'll do my best to answer them.

Showing where I looped the straps.
IMG_0319.jpg
Straps with rear seat attached.
IMG_0320.jpg
Rear view of straps with bag attached.
IMG_0321.jpg
Front view of straps with bag attached.
IMG_0323.jpg
Bag's main compartment is empty (gloves in top pocket) in this shot which shows how floppy it can be when empty.IMG_0322.jpg

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to say nice review and thanks for the pics of your install.

I have had the same bag for a while and it is surprisingly roomy, I've crammed tons of stuff in mine. I initially didn't want to put a bag on my bike and ruin the looks, but this one doesn't look too bad and the convenience of not carrying a backpack outweighs style.

I had my straps wrapped under the tail secured together with a carabiner. It was functional, but ugly and hard to take on and off. I recently used your post and did my bag the same way and it's a lot better taking it on and off. The only downside is the straps being there all the time, and for me the bag sits closer to my back than my previous method.

Anyway....thanks for the post!

• Premium Member

@flooger Thanks for the kind words and I'm glad you found it useful.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Archived