The MT-07 Forum

Amber or white LED Bulbs for stock blinkers?

DewMan

• Premium Member

After spending way more effort that it should take, including a fruitless call to the Yamaha dealer's parts counter after not finding the information in the owner manual, I figured out that the stock U.S. model blinkers (that use an amber lens) use a 7443 (3 wire) socket dual filament bulb that I'd like to replace with LEDs for additional brightness and longevity. I'm one of the few who aren't turned off by the stock blinkers so I'm not in the market to replace them... call me old school. :)
If I am incorrect in the socket type, please let me know.
I want to keep the deep amber color and I'm concerned that if I use bright white LEDs it'll wash out the color and If I use amber LEDs it won't be brighter than stock filament bulbs.
[strong]Anyone have experience with using LEDs behind tinted lenses that can offer their opinion in this matter?[/strong]

Thank You for your time and attention. It's much appreciated.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member

Bueller?.... Bueller?

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

I use Motodynamic's LED front turn signals and they're amber and have the 3 wire configuration (to retain the daylight running light function). They're pretty bright even with its smoked housing.

I personally opted for the amber color because white would've been unnoticeable during the day which is a safety concern for me but also it does give the police another reason to pull you over. Front turn signals legally have to amber but not many cops call you out on it but they could if they wanted to be jerks about it.

also make some and
too

You do you and I'll do me.

• Premium Member

Thanks for the response @Duke. I've got amber lenses in my stock blinkers so there should be no legal issue. I'm just not sure if the amber LEDs will give enough added brightness over stock bulbs to be noticeably brighter, or if I go with white LEDs if it'll wash out the amber color of the lens.

I've seen red lenses that use such a bright white bulbs that they look pink. I'd hate my amber signals to look yellow.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Ahh in that case, I think YouTube would be your best resource. 

If you're worried about brightness, I suggest investing in an LED bulb for your headlight. Cars will see you no problem hahaha

You do you and I'll do me.

• Premium Member
Ahh in that case, I think YouTube would be your best resource.  
If you're worried about brightness, I suggest investing in an LED bulb for your headlight. Cars will see you no problem hahaha
Just installed Cyclops LED yesterday so I've got that covered already. :D 

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member

The LED turn signal bulbs? $15-20 each for decent quality ones. If they'd been cheaper I'd have just gotten both colors. they're not as cheap as 194 bulbs which you can get 10 for $12.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member

Update:I took a chance and ordered Amber replacement LEDs. I'm happy with how it turned out.  The front running lights are as bright, if not brighter than, the incandescent bulbs when they are blinking. When the LEDs blink they're a magnitude brighter still. Here's a picture that compares the incandescent (brake side) and LED (clutch side) running lights.

Running_LIghts.jpg
LINK to the bulbs
Link to the flasher relay
I'm not seeing any need to go with white LEDs at this time.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Update:I took a chance and ordered Amber replacement LEDs. I'm happy with how it turned out.  The front running lights are as bright, if not brighter than, the incandescent bulbs when they are blinking. When the LEDs blink they're a magnitude brighter still. Here's a picture that compares the incandescent (brake side) and LED (clutch side) running lights. 

Running_LIghts.jpg
LINK to the bulbs

I have been looking to do the same, replace stock bulbs with LEDs. How did you come to choose these LEDs out of all those on the market?  Did you use the exact same bulb for the rear?  Were there any fitment issues with these bulbs?  

• Premium Member

@liv2ride To answer your questions, I chose these particular 7443 base type bulbs (they're drop in replacement for the dual filament bulbs) by claimed brightness, price and review scores. I used the same bulbs front and rear even though the rears are not running lights.

I'm sure there are any number of 7443 LED bulbs that would have worked. I had to make no modifications to the signals to allow the use of these bulbs. the turn signal assembly is quite roomy.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

I didn't see the lumen rating indicated on Amazon.  Any idea what it is running and flash?  I do like what I see, very noticeable difference in brightness.

How much room lengthwise (from socket) do you believe remains in the housing?  

Aloha

• Premium Member
I didn't see the lumen rating indicated on Amazon.  Any idea what it is running and flash?  I do like what I see, very noticeable difference in brightness. 

How much room lengthwise (from socket) do you believe remains in the housing?  

Aloha
You know as much as I do as far as the lumen ratings. The bulbs came undocumented in sealed anti-static bags with barcode labels on them. The Amazon description of "extremely super bright" was all I had to go on but I figured with a 4.5 star rating & 1yr manufacturer  warranty... they were worth a shot. The bulbs do not come anywhere close to bottoming out against the lens. there is still space.  The LEDs are only a few mm longer and no wider than stock bulbs if I remember correctly when I installed them.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Here are the specs from the vendors website. That's a very good lumen rating from what I can tell for the yellow. I am very interested in conspicuity so I am leaning toward the white with 850 lumens.

Light Output: 36pcs high power and high illumination 2835 LEDs at sides of the bulb and 3pcs 2835 leds at the top of the bulb; 360 full degrees light output illumination for best light output.

Light Intensity (Max): White - 850 lumens per bulb; Amber Yellow/Red- 600 lumens per bulb.

LED Type: High illumination, high quality and high power 2835 SMD LEDS.

Polarized: No, non-polarized bulbs.

Operating Voltage: 12~18.0 VDC

Type: Aftermarket Replacement Bulb

Optional Colors: White/Amber Yellow/Red.

• Premium Member

@liv2ride Nice! I'd be interested to see what the whites look like behind the amber lenses.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• 7 months later...
On 4/25/2017 at 3:35 AM, DewMan said:

Running_LIghts.jpg
LINK to the bulbs

Agreed, they're so bright they're almost white like that, no need for a white bulb. Good decision! I'm curious, are there turn signals w/clear lens & amber bulb for our bike? Anyone?

Beemer

I tried to do a little research on this idea...  white vs amber bulb in turn signal housing.  I found the following info to be interesting...  

https://www.superbrightleds.com/carbulb_notes.php

According to the FAQ on that page, amber bulbs of similar and even lesser power should be brighter due to the light more closely matching the lens color, and how it filters the rest of the color spectrum.  Good to know!

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Beemer said:

Agreed, they're so bright they're almost white like that, no need for a white bulb. Good decision! I'm curious, are there turn signals w/clear lens & amber bulb for our bike? Anyone?

If I understand your question correctly, the Yamaha blinkers are the same in Europe but they use clear lenses with amber bulbs as I understand it. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong... If you want clear lenses for the pumpkins you'll just need to find the clear lenses online somewhere I'm guessing. I'm sure someone can hook you up with the Yamaha part # of the clear lenses you'll need.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

17 hours ago, VertigoTX said:

@liv2ride, Did you get the white?  If so, what did you think of them?

Yes, I went with white for front and rear.  Here is what I got:

Alla Lighting 39-SMD 7443 7440 T20 High Power 2835 Chipsets Xtremely Super Bright 6000K Xenon White LED Bulbs for Turn Signal Light - I used these for front

2PCS Aaron 6000K White 60W 7443 7440 T20 XB-D CREE LED Bulbs Super Bright for Brake Tail Backup Reverse Lights - I used these for rear

I am very pleased with the results, far brighter than stock and will catch attention of any motorist that is looking in the direction of the bike.  I find the rear is most noticeable primarily since the lights are off until signals are used...more contrast. Unfortunately, I did not get good pics of the comparison between these and the stock bulbs.

Sorry if this seems like a dumb question, I don't have a garage so I have to drive to storage to go look at my bike...

How do you open the turn signals to swap the bulb?

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, VertigoTX said:

Sorry if this seems like a dumb question, I don't have a garage so I have to drive to storage to go look at my bike...

How do you open the turn signals to swap the bulb?

Not  a Problem. it's as easy as taking a couple #2 phillips screws from the back of the turn signals. It's about the easiest "mod" you can do. :)

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

3 hours ago, DewMan said:

Not  a Problem. it's as easy as taking a couple #2 phillips screws from the back of the turn signals. It's about the easiest "mod" you can do. :)

Nice, thanks!

Archived