Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
DewMan

Amber or white LED Bulbs for stock blinkers?

DewMan
@liv2ride Nice! I'd be interested to see what the whites look like behind the amber lenses.

VertigoTX

@liv2ride, Did you get the white?  If so, what did you think of them?

Beemer
On 4/25/2017 at 3:35 AM, DewMan said:

Update:I took a chance and ordered Amber replacement LEDs. I'm happy with how it turned out.  The front running lights are as bright, if not brighter than, the incandescent bulbs when they are blinking. When the LEDs blink they're a magnitude brighter still. Here's a picture that compares the incandescent (brake side) and LED (clutch side) running lights.

Running_LIghts.jpg
LINK to the bulbs
Link to the flasher relay
I'm not seeing any need to go with white LEDs at this time.

Agreed, they're so bright they're almost white like that, no need for a white bulb. Good decision! I'm curious, are there turn signals w/clear lens & amber bulb for our bike? Anyone?

VertigoTX

I tried to do a little research on this idea...  white vs amber bulb in turn signal housing.  I found the following info to be interesting...  

https://www.superbrightleds.com/carbulb_notes.php

According to the FAQ on that page, amber bulbs of similar and even lesser power should be brighter due to the light more closely matching the lens color, and how it filters the rest of the color spectrum.  Good to know!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

DewMan
1 hour ago, Beemer said:

Agreed, they're so bright they're almost white like that, no need for a white bulb. Good decision! I'm curious, are there turn signals w/clear lens & amber bulb for our bike? Anyone?

If I understand your question correctly, the Yamaha blinkers are the same in Europe but they use clear lenses with amber bulbs as I understand it. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong... If you want clear lenses for the pumpkins you'll just need to find the clear lenses online somewhere I'm guessing. I'm sure someone can hook you up with the Yamaha part # of the clear lenses you'll need.

• Like 1

liv2ride
17 hours ago, VertigoTX said:

@liv2ride, Did you get the white?  If so, what did you think of them?

Yes, I went with white for front and rear.  Here is what I got:

Alla Lighting 39-SMD 7443 7440 T20 High Power 2835 Chipsets Xtremely Super Bright 6000K Xenon White LED Bulbs for Turn Signal Light - I used these for front

2PCS Aaron 6000K White 60W 7443 7440 T20 XB-D CREE LED Bulbs Super Bright for Brake Tail Backup Reverse Lights - I used these for rear

I am very pleased with the results, far brighter than stock and will catch attention of any motorist that is looking in the direction of the bike.  I find the rear is most noticeable primarily since the lights are off until signals are used...more contrast. Unfortunately, I did not get good pics of the comparison between these and the stock bulbs.

• Thanks 1

VertigoTX

Sorry if this seems like a dumb question, I don't have a garage so I have to drive to storage to go look at my bike...

How do you open the turn signals to swap the bulb?

DewMan
7 hours ago, VertigoTX said:

Sorry if this seems like a dumb question, I don't have a garage so I have to drive to storage to go look at my bike...

How do you open the turn signals to swap the bulb?

Not  a Problem. it's as easy as taking a couple #2 phillips screws from the back of the turn signals. It's about the easiest "mod" you can do. :)

• Thanks 1

VertigoTX
3 hours ago, DewMan said:

Not  a Problem. it's as easy as taking a couple #2 phillips screws from the back of the turn signals. It's about the easiest "mod" you can do. :)

Nice, thanks!