The MT-07 Forum

Current consensus on best windscreen

trainspottingbaby

bafricawala

I have tried 2 different windscreen.
1st being Ermax Nose Screen Sport 39cm from motomachine.com
I do liked it, its perfect for short commute, but not for long rides

The one i am using currently is National Cycle VStream Sport Touring from Revzilla(https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/national-cycle-vstream-sport-touring-windscreen-yamaha-fz-07-2015-2016)
Its is perfect for long rides, also the wind is deflected mostly over the head and shoulders and i have been able to reach 80mph without much of problem. There are 2 options in this one, there is sport and sport touring

I have tried 2 different windscreen. 1st being Ermax Nose Screen Sport 39cm from motomachine.com
I do liked it, its perfect for short commute, but not for long rides

The one i am using currently is National Cycle VStream Sport Touring from Revzilla(https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/national-cycle-vstream-sport-touring-windscreen-yamaha-fz-07-2015-2016)
Its is perfect for long rides, also the wind is deflected mostly over the head and shoulders and i have been able to reach 80mph without much of problem. There are 2 options in this one, there is sport and sport touring
I've also got the VStream Sport Touring. I am 5' 4" and my helmet is just above the turbulence zone so it is fairly quiet. It is clear and doesn't much change the look of the bike. 

• 4 weeks later...
trainspottingbaby

It's been a while since I last posted and in the meantime I finally bought and installed a windscreen. I settled on the MRA Double Bubble, clear. It had a majority of positive reviews, was well priced in Canada (especially the clear, which was $30 cheaper), and to my eyes its form factor suits the naked FZ-07 better than any other aftermarket windscreen I've seen.

WRT appearance, I was happily surprised to find that "clear" comes in a really nice 2-tone colour scheme. The bottom half is black which looks sexy and hides my stuff, and that dissolves into the clear upper-half which is invisible enough to retain some of the bike's nakedness. I also love the shape -- it's a bit taller than some sport windscreens and it has a nice centre contour that wraps nicely around my iPhone 6+ Ram X-mount. The shape isn't understated and yet there's nothing overly "funky" about it either -- it just looks right.

I was also surprised to find that it comes with a clear rubber tube to give it a nice finished edging. I never noticed that detail in any images. There's not much to say about the install--It installs in minutes, and feels solid with just the right amount of flex.

About the ride. I've only used it a couple times, but the first thing I realized is that wind resistance was minimized enough that I got up to 110 km/h without really even noticing! Whereas in the past, I'd have had to really "push" against the wind to get above 90. So there is a definite improvement. I've read enough to not have unrealistic expectations, and sure enough, the wind pressure and noise are not eliminated. But the difference now is that it tends to be focused on my shoulders instead of my entire torso (I'm 5'9", 30" inseam). And everywhere else, the wind that does still hit me seems to be thinned out. There's minimal turbulence, and head-bobble has been improved (no windscreen felt far worse).

I'm still very curious about the Dart Manta, and some day I'd like to give it a try. Unfortunately it was not as accessible in Canada, and far more expensive. And TBH the Manta looks kinda funky -- which may not be a bad thing, I'd have to see it in person -- but on a naked bike, I think I might prefer the MRA's more neutral look anyway.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I also have the MRA screen and it really compliments the lines of the bike. without being too bulky it really does break away the wind enough to ride comfortably on the highways and interstates for long periods of time without getting fatigued. I am 5'9'' and it completely avoids the wind below my helmet (variant) with barely any helmet bobbing, and the screen is also tuckable ( is that a word?) at higher speeds.

• Like 1

martyinaustin

I'm still very curious about the Dart Manta, and some day I'd like to give it a try. Unfortunately it was not as accessible in Canada, and far more expensive. And TBH the Manta looks kinda funky -- which may not be a bad thing, I'd have to see it in person -- but on a naked bike, I think I might prefer the MRA's more neutral look anyway.

for what it's worth...been rocking the Manta for about 5K miles...definitely touched the 100+MPH mark (for scientific testing purposes only).  i love it, but i recently rode a BMW 800GT and it had a far superior wind screen.  no big surprise.  point is, i'd be inclined to go MRA now if i had to do it again IF i was going to put a lot of miles in at high speeds.  the Manta has me laying on the gas tank to get total protection at high speed.  i bet the MRA is better.  again, i love the Manta but if i was a serious tourer, i'd try the MRA. 
fwiw,
marty
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 4/17/2017 at 10:44 AM, yamahaha said:

Any of the touring sized windscreen will help but nothing will be perfect. I found the Puig helpful for long runs on the freeway. Reduces pressure on chest and arms and makes high speed bearable. Nice to hunker down behind for high speed passing.
Helmet plays a major role too. Some will complain about wind redirected to head.
It is a naked bike and that's the nature of the beast.

Not the nature of the best, most naked biked with a round head light have minimum issue with wind noise and buffering. The shape of the tank, some bikes are worse by nature of their DNA.

I used the Givi sport screen for almost 13,000 miles and loved it. Takes all the pressure off my belly and mid chest. Made highway bearable for me and had in my opinion some of the best looks for the bike. If you want wind relief for blasting down the highway here and there AND wanna look cool doing it, i highly recommend the Givi sport screen if you can find it still. 

However, i now do 90 miles a day all highway and switched to the national cycle sport touring screen.  I think it might look too big on a totally naked FZ, but my bike has handguards, saddle bags, tail bag, tank bag and aux lights. So it looks right at home on my bike. Im 5'9 and air rolls right over my shoulders. Helmet is in smooth air. I tested it repeatedly at numerous speeds. Nice smooth airflow on long rides. Stays smooth up to the mid 90s. Havent tried faster yet haha. 

I had to make a run across the island (100 miles one way) last week.  I took the Dart Manta up into triple digits without any issues.  I could cruise along at 80mph comfortably.  I still stand behind the Dart Manta as one of the best windscreens for this bike.  I do however think that helmet size and shape will play a large factor for the perception of a wind screen's effectiveness.  I wear the Shoei RF-1200 in small - was right at the (sm-med size) and (happily) went with small.  The cheek/neck pads are good and snug which helps as well.  I think that the larger sized screens are going to get consistently good reviews, whereas the smaller screens are generally going to be for aesthetics only.  FYI I'm 5'11"

• Like 1

I put a national cycle sport screen on mine (2018, though, so our options are a bit different for now) and I like it. It definitely doesn't make the bike a touring machine, but I didn't really want something like that which kind of ruins the naked look. Instead, the sport screen feels like it smooths the air out a bit around me. I still feel it, but I don't feel like I have to fight as much, plus I can look around on the freeway without feeling like a total bobble head, especially when doing shoulder checks before switching lanes.

It did increase the wind noise a bit though, so I picked up a set of earplugs. I'm about 6' and ride with a shoei RF1200 for reference - chin curtain is on too.

I have two National Cycle wind screens.  They really don't work well with FZ-07s unless you're willing to do some bracing.  It seemed to me that a lot of plastic inside that headlight mount was getting a great deal of torque stress on it so I built a brace and installed it from the windscreen mounting bracket to my handle bar.  That changed the pivot point as well as dispersed the pulling up stress/torque on to four bolts instead of two, and eliminated the twist stress entirely.  It's very stable now.  Took some time to get the steel for the brace bent and set up just right.  The bike is fully set up for touring which is why I went with the tall touring screen.  Even has a 1 1/2 inch handle bar riser for more upright riding.  After having gotten everything braced, I read some other FZ-07 owner's, reviews that have had the plastic mounting inside their headlamp assemblies snap.  They confirmed my concerns.  Anyway, it's all good now.

Edited by rfmueller