The MT-07 Forum

Current consensus on best windscreen

trainspottingbaby

trainspottingbaby

[div]Today I took my new 07 further than I have before, and I have to say, the wind chill and buffeting really squeezed some of the enjoyment out of an otherwise awesome ride. At 110 km/h the wind got so bad that it was an effort to keep my head facing straight, and the noise was deafening. Even with the helmet foam compacted against my ears, there was a lot of wind blowing against them until I eventually developed an earache. Furthermore, my jacket felt like a sail and I was clinging for dear life.

It's pretty obvious to me now that if I'm going to ride this thing the way I want to, I'm going to need a windscreen. But I want one that really shields me, not just one that's going to protect my keys but re-direct all the wind to my upper shoulders and the middle of my helmet. And as much as I hate the look of a tall touring screen, I'd be willing to live with it just to avoid getting wind-blasted like this again.

From what I've read so far, the Puig & Givi provide some protection but unless you're 5'4" (I'm 5'9"), they're still going to cause weird buffeting and be noisier than stock. MRA is slightly better. Dart Manta gets some glowing reviews from people on this site, so for me it's the top contender.

Any other candidates that I should consider?
[/div]

• Like 1

• Premium Member

If your budget can afford it,  you may want to consider the Madstad adjustable/removable system. But I'm having a real hard time rationalizing the price of this well built and customizable system.

• Like 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

trainspottingbaby
I vote MRA
Cool, but can you elaborate on why? Does it channel the wind completely over your head like the Dart purportedly does (for a 5'9" person at least)?  

trainspottingbaby
If your budget can afford it,  you may want to consider the Madstad adjustable/removable system. But I'm having a real hard time rationalizing the price of this well built and customizable system.
Thank you! I was just about to ask about removable. Even the goofiest looking windscreen would be fine, as long as it's removable. I'll have a look. 

• Premium Member

Madstad offers a fly screen for when you're not using the touring screen. Nice quick switchouts. but as a I mentioned.. pricey.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

trainspottingbaby
Madstad offers a fly screen for when you're not using the touring screen. Nice quick switchouts. but as a I mentioned.. pricey.
I just visited the link. This is a brilliant idea and it's certainly a contender, but I see what you mean about the price. You have to buy the base bracket, the windshield bracket, and the windshield(s) all separately, which amounts to more than twice the price of most windshields (and is extra painful for us Canadians after the conversion).  
On one hand it actually does seem worth more than twice the price of other fly-screen wind screens, no question. I can't criticize their pricing. But OTOH, ouchy.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
I just visited the link. This is a brilliant idea and it's certainly a contender, but I see what you mean about the price. You have to buy the base bracket, the windshield bracket, and the windshield(s) all separately, which amounts to more than twice the price of most windshields (and is extra painful for us Canadians after the conversion).  
On one hand it actually does seem worth more than twice the price of other fly-screen wind screens, no question. I can't criticize their pricing. But OTOH, ouchy.

Yep, I totally agree. I want one real bad.. but geez it's painful on your wallet. I have another thread stating my case about it right below this one. :) 
  • Like 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

In my experience, screens are more likely to add noise than relieve it. That's because they cause turbulence. Some sort of a double-screen tend to work the best and look the worst.
6304-500x600.jpg

Other than that I must recommend using ear plugs. I resisted the idea for 25 years because I found them uncomfortable, but I have used them for over a decade now and can hardly ride without. You also stand a much greater chance of retaining your hearing and prevent tinnitus if you use ear plugs when you ride.

• Like 2

Guest 2wheeler

Here's a link that I put out my $0.02 worth of thought on the Dart Manta. FWIW, I have since done 200+ in a day, and the Manta walks that fine line between cool looking and functional very well. Well enough that I plan a 2500 mile ride this year, and am totally cool with using the Manta. There is no question that there are more functional windscreens out there, but I don't want a big ass screen that takes away from the looks of the bike, nor do I want to change screens based on my needs. Plus, for those who like it, the Manta has that Conquistador helmet thing going on big time 8-)

https://fz07.org/thread/6699/dart-manta-review

• Like 1

trainspottingbaby
Here's a link that I put out my $0.02 worth of thought on the Dart Manta. FWIW, I have since done 200+ in a day, and the Manta walks that fine line between cool looking and functional very well. Well enough that I plan a 2500 mile ride this year, and am totally cool with using the Manta. There is no question that there are more functional windscreens out there, but I don't want a big ass screen that takes away from the looks of the bike, nor do I want to change screens based on my needs. Plus, for those who like it, the Manta has that Conquistador helmet thing going on big time 8-)  

Thanks! The Dart looks really unique and I think it complements the naked aesthetic more than any of the others. I prefer the Conquistador helmet look to the Pope hat look of some of the other options. Also the idea of a good looking smaller windscreen which might actually eliminate wind blasts to the helmet at high speeds makes me hopeful. Aside from the Madstad (which I can't afford) this looks like the best option so far.

Thanks! The Dart looks really unique and I think it complements the naked aesthetic more than any of the others. I prefer the Conquistador helmet look to the Pope hat look of some of the other options. Also the idea of a good looking smaller windscreen which might actually eliminate wind blasts to the helmet at high speeds makes me hopeful. Aside from the Madstad (which I can't afford) this looks like the best option so far.
Here is a some recommendations to make FZ-07 light tourier: MC Online I personally, add to this mods givi handguards and remove comfort seat (because I am good with stock one) but givi handguards remove a lot of wind noise

• Like 1

I recently got the Givi windscreen. 300 km later, this screen makes a hell of a difference, I am 6'4" and yes I get wind on my shoulders but it is way more manageable than before (no windscreen)!

Any of the touring sized windscreen will help but nothing will be perfect. I found the Puig helpful for long runs on the freeway. Reduces pressure on chest and arms and makes high speed bearable. Nice to hunker down behind for high speed passing.
Helmet plays a major role too. Some will complain about wind redirected to head.
It is a naked bike and that's the nature of the beast.

martyinaustin
I vote MRA
Cool, but can you elaborate on why? Does it channel the wind completely over your head like the Dart purportedly does (for a 5'9" person at least)?
fwiw, i'm 5' 10" and rock the Manta.  the wind does NOT clear my helmet unless i tuck pretty low...but it's not an issue.  i did a 3 day trip to the 3 sisters and millions of short rides.  it's at least as good as my old Givi, but i am curious about the MRA to be honest.

• Like 1

ducttapewd40
I vote MRA
It does not completely go over my head, I'm 5'10".  The head bobble isn't bad so I think it goes partially over.  My issue before the windscreen was all the wind in the chest which is now gone. I don't really expect to feel no wind unless it were a giant touring screen which would look ridiculous on a small naked bike. 
It's still pretty comfortable doing 85mph, not so much beyond that.
  • Like 1

pineappleunderthesea

Frankly, you should first get used to riding without a screen for a while, you'll get used to the wind pushing back at you, even if you initially feel that you'll be blown off the bike. And wear earplugs!

Then try a windscreen. I have the National Cycle sport version, which like many screens here takes the wind off your chest. The National doesn't cause wind buffeting at my head like some others do, which is a plus, but you still feel wind pressure. That's why I say try going without a screen for a while before going down the rabbit hole of not being happy with the screens made for this bike.

• Like 2

Guest 2wheeler
Frankly, you should first get used to riding without a screen for a while, you'll get used to the wind pushing back at you, even if you initially feel that you'll be blown off the bike. And wear earplugs! 
Then try a windscreen. I have the National Cycle sport version, which like many screens here takes the wind off your chest. The National doesn't cause wind buffeting at my head like some others do, which is a plus, but you still feel wind pressure. That's why I say try going without a screen for a while before going down the rabbit hole of not being happy with the screens made for this bike.
Funny you posted this, I did 535 miles in a day on my FZ without a windscreen. It really wasn't that bad, which I give the credit to that ramp that comes up from the headlight, plus me being 5'6".  
I actually enjoy being in the wind as it makes me feel like I am riding a motorcycle - LOL.

Seriously though, I like riding with a small screen that keeps the wind off my chest and most of my head. If I want to go the level of a Gold Wing/Dresser, I would much sooner buy a Jeep. That's not motorcycle riding to me.

I rode the 1000 km - 600 mile Mae Hong Son loop in Thailand on a naked MT-07 and really enjoyed it. Mind you the daily temperature was 32c+ 90f+ so any wind was welcome. I have a Savage - Puig knock off -screen but as soon as it warms up here in Canada I will remove it. It's a naked bike. Ride naked!

• 2 weeks later...
trainspottingbaby
I rode the 1000 km - 600 mile Mae Hong Son loop in Thailand on a naked MT-07 and really enjoyed it. Mind you the daily temperature was 32c+ 90f+ so any wind was welcome. I have a Savage - Puig knock off -screen but as soon as it warms up here in Canada I will remove it. It's a naked bike. Ride naked!

Yeah, maybe I've jumped the gun riding this early (also in Canada, Alberta to be more specific). It really was unpleasant, but every once in a while I'd ride through a warm air patch and it would be like a cruel tease.

I think I've settled on the Dart Manta, although now I can't seem to find the FZ-07 one available anywhere in Canada.

Guest 2wheeler
Yeah, maybe I've jumped the gun riding this early (also in Canada, Alberta to be more specific). It really was unpleasant, but every once in a while I'd ride through a warm air patch and it would be like a cruel tease.  
I think I've settled on the Dart Manta, although now I can't seem to find the FZ-07 one available anywhere in Canada.
This is the Dart link, and if you look in the bottom left corner, you have an option between US, UK or EU sites. You should be able to order it through one if not all of them. I ordered mine direct through their US site. BTW, I also added a pic of my bike with the Manta, Barkbuster Storm hand guards and mirror extenders. The combo works great and is not too bad looking. 
https://www.dartflyscreens.com/products/yamaha-fz07-mt07

IMG_1095.jpg

I put a Dart Manta on mine last week. It looks odd in pictures at certain angles, but looks great in person. It works great too.

• 3 weeks later...
Check out this guys windscreen! 

I'm sorta undecided on his windscreen, although it doesn't look bad but better than the Batbikes windscreen. 

batbike.jpg

Good god, that Toce pipe is loud! May as well be a straight pipe.

• Like 1

Beemer

My windscreen had been compared to the queens head in Aliens so it has to be the coolest. (ha!)

alien_queen.jpg

• Like 1

Beemer