The MT-07 Forum

MADSTAD? REALLY?

DewMan

• Premium Member

USD$70 for the base that mounts to the bike.http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/it.A/id.3469/.f?sc=7&category=13002
USD$110 for the brackets to attach whichever slab of acrylic you choose.http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/it.A/id.3477/.f?sc=7&category=13002
USD$60 for the Fly screen to cover up the brackets when not using the touring shield......http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/it.A/id.3467/.f?sc=7&category=13002
So you've already spent USD$240 before you even pick the USD$90-USD$135 Touring screen you want. 
Plus shipping. B-|

Now as someone who's spent >USD$2,000 just on a pair of graphics cards for my home PC and thought it only mildly over priced..... I have to say Madstad's prices appear to me, to be polite, more than a bit  excessive.
I appreciate the engineering that went into designing the system that appears to be solid but it's not perfect.
Brackets should be made of Titanium to warrant that kind of pricing. Not stamped steel and aluminum.
I can appreciate the adjustability of the screens though I've read that in the lower positions you can end up with your own headlight's glare on the inside of your screen.
I can also appreciate the quick swap out ability... though, call me paranoid, I'd be afraid of someone quickly walking off with my $200-$245 "quick disconnect" screen since there's no way to secure it.
I can understand that cast acrylic is more optically clear and less prone to scratches and yellowing than polycarbonate. But acrylic is also more brittle, not as impact resistant, 35% cheaper, more chemically reactive and more likely to crack than polycarbonate according to the online sources.
[strong]Are the Madstad screens really deserving of these prices? [/strong]

[strong]Please, if you have first hand experience with the Madstad system on your bike please let us know your opinion on if the system is really worth the price. I really want to justify buying one but it's really difficult at this price point.[/strong][strong]
[/strong]Thank you for your time and attention.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

trainspottingbaby

USD$70 for the base that mounts to the bike.http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/it.A/id.3469/.f?sc=7&category=13002
USD$110 for the brackets to attach whichever slab of acrylic you choose.http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/it.A/id.3477/.f?sc=7&category=13002
USD$60 for the Fly screen to cover up the brackets when not using the touring shield......http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/it.A/id.3467/.f?sc=7&category=13002
So you've already spent USD$240 before you even pick the USD$90-USD$135 Touring screen you want. 
Plus shipping. B-|

Now as someone who's spent >USD$2,000 just on a pair of graphics cards for my home PC and thought it only mildly over priced..... I have to say Madstad's prices appear to me, to be polite, more than a bit  excessive.
I appreciate the engineering that went into designing the system that appears to be solid but it's not perfect.
Brackets should be made of Titanium to warrant that kind of pricing. Not stamped steel and aluminum.
I can appreciate the adjustability of the screens though I've read that in the lower positions you can end up with your own headlight's glare on the inside of your screen.
I can also appreciate the quick swap out ability... though, call me paranoid, I'd be afraid of someone quickly walking off with my $200-$245 "quick disconnect" screen since there's no way to secure it.
I can understand that cast acrylic is more optically clear and less prone to scratches and yellowing than polycarbonate. But acrylic is also more brittle, not as impact resistant, 35% cheaper, more chemically reactive and more likely to crack than polycarbonate according to the online sources.
[strong]Are the Madstad screens really deserving of these prices? [/strong]

[strong]Please, if you have first hand experience with the Madstad system on your bike please let us know your opinion on if the system is really worth the price. I really want to justify buying one but it's really difficult at this price point.[/strong][strong]
[/strong]Thank you for your time and attention.

I'm with you on this one. I want to know as well. As I mentioned in another thread, I had the worst experience today with wind and would be willing to pay almost any price to avoid that again. *Almost* any price. 

I would have kept mine had I still had the FZ-07 just for the fact that I was doing multiple long tours and was using the bike in town at the same time. All I had to do was undo the knobs and the shield came right out in a few seconds. I only paid $280 for my setup and I thought it was worth it, only took a $80 loss selling it.

I had the 20" screen and at maximum adjustment, air was just flowing right over my forehead. There was no way I was going on a 3k mile ride on my FZ-07 without a touring shield, saved me from bug splatter and fatigue.

If you want a cheaper solution, just get one of the many touring shields that are available now. A little more work to take them off but it's a trade off in price.

• Premium Member

Thanks for responding @kakusaizou.

If you don't mind, a couple questions please? So if you had to do it again you'd buy another Madstad? How tall are you?

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

trainspottingbaby
Have a look at this
Oh wow... this video sort of indicates that the Madstad is not necessarily as perfect a solution as you'd hope for that price. It sure does seem to help, but if it's not going to be $250 better than a Dart Manta or MRA then that helps with my decision.

• Premium Member

@trainspottingbaby I noticed that too. I don't know how much his 5'6" factors into it? I'm 6' with a tall torso. I Live in Florida so cold weather isn't an issue. I won't mind the breeze.. but would be nice to stop buffeting. Also, would it had made a difference if he'd gotten a taller screen? That didn't look like one of the taller versions. they make them up to 24". Is it just me or did it seem a bit narrow on that bike?

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Thanks for responding @kakusaizou.  
If you don't mind, a couple questions please? So if you had to do it again you'd buy another Madstad? How tall are you?

My situation has changed, I have a dedicated touring bike now. I would still buy the Madstad system if the FZ-07 was my only bike.

I'm 5'6" with a 29" inseam. Madstad recommended the 20" screen based on that. The screen won't block all wind, there's still air flow under the shield. Kind of sucks when it gets a little chilly.

• 2 weeks later...
trainspottingbaby
@trainspottingbaby I noticed that too. I don't know how much his 5'6" factors into it? I'm 6' with a tall torso. I Live in Florida so cold weather isn't an issue. I won't mind the breeze.. but would be nice to stop buffeting. Also, would it had made a difference if he'd gotten a taller screen? That didn't look like one of the taller versions. they make them up to 24". Is it just me or did it seem a bit narrow on that bike?

Yeah it didn't seem as tall as the pics on the Madstad website. It's definitely a toss up between the Dart Manta and MRA. The former seems like it does a better job, but the latter is the less expensive of the two, in North America at least.

Archived