The MT-07 Forum

Riding In The Rain

hobbs

• Premium Member

So my ride home this afternoon revealed a lot of things.

Namely that I need a rainsuit, waterproof gloves and boot gaiters.

The FZ does surprisingly well on wet road. Not fantastic if you add strong winds, but not much out there will be I suppose.

Left for work this morning, forecast called for light to medium rain throughout the day. Ok I say, I need some wet weather experience and especially on the new bike. So I pack up my stuff and away I go.

Light-med rain turned into 3" of rain in under 7 hours! The radar showed it getting worse and with thunderstorms popping up, so I left early and made the journey home.

Home safe, but I couldn't be more wet.. even the waterproof liner in my jacket did nothing, except keeping my torso from dropping to sub-zero temps, for which I'm grateful. I've learned I'm only equipped for actual light-med rain, not forecasted light-med rain.

Now I'm shopping for some more all weather gear. Any of you much more experienced fellows have any gear suggestions and/or riding tips for the rain? That was the point of the thread but I rambled on...

Everything went braap.

• Global Moderator

I got caught in the rain a couple of times too, last week was pretty extreme. You are right, the bike doesn't seem bothered by it. I was bone wet. I had to stop half way and save my phone, remote and papers by putting them in my Kriega tail bag, which did an excellent job btw.
The only thing dry when I got home was my head. My Shoei GT Air was perfect, no water and no fogging.

I can't help you with rain gear advice. I prefer not to ride when it rains.

I only ride when weather forcast is for 40% or less of rain. On my last bike I got caught in the rain and it was not any fun.

• Premium Member

Get a waterproof jacket not liner. I was out in some heavy rain and deep puddles about a month ago. I didn't have one piece of waterproof gear on and was soaked in a matter of about 10 minutes. It was actually fun until I started shaking. I can only speak on behalf of the Michelin Pilot Road tires, but they were awesome. I too will be looking for winter/WP gear soon. Just take it easy when in the rain especially if its rain after a long period of no rain. Roads will be more slick with oil.

olderthandirt

If you have the Michelin PR3's...they are great in the rain.

Congress is the only whore house in the United States that loses money.

• Premium Member
Get a waterproof jacket not liner. I was out in some heavy rain and deep puddles about a month ago. I didn't have one piece of waterproof gear on and was soaked in a matter of about 10 minutes. It was actually fun until I started shaking. I can only speak on behalf of the Michelin Pilot Road tires, but they were awesome. I too will be looking for winter/WP gear soon. Just take it easy when in the rain especially if its rain after a long period of no rain. Roads will be more slick with oil.

Definitely agree.. the extra waterproof liner my jacket came with is henceforth a wind blocking liner.

Unfortunately around my area, if I want to commute I have to learn to live with some rain. The weather gets unpredictable and certain times of the year there's almost always random rain storms that pop up towards the evenings. So I'm making the commitment to be a prepared and skilled all weather rider.

I forgot to mention the bridge I passed over had some harrowing high winds blowing across it. The weather man failed me today, all 4 of em! (I check a lot of different sources.)

Everything went braap.

• Premium Member
If you have the Michelin PR3's...they are great in the rain.

Yeah they were awesome. Going to stick with that tire for the long haul.

Everything went braap.

• Premium Member

Ha. Today was the first time I got caught in the rain on the FZ! I'm sure all the cars out on the road thought I was nuts riding around in that kinda weather.

It's still summer here, so when it said there was a 40% chance of rain, I didn't think much of it. Halfway into my commute, the little drops turned into total downpour.

My summer jacket held up the best it could, but my arms, lower back, and chest got soaked. Jeans had no luck.
Ended up having to wear some old Halloween costume (a raggedy shirt and sweats) that were in the office while I used a space heater to dry my clothes up.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

• Premium Member
How long is your commute?

Takes around an hour, 45 or so miles.

Everything went braap.

You could get a thick, no frill, cheap rain jacket, but after 20 minutes in it, you will be sweating heavily. But those are the best.
If this doesn't work out, you can go the expensive way, with breathable materials.
Remember that bikes do not hydroplane. The tires are rounded and will evacuate the rain on their sides. Still slow down and take your time. I will say it again, riding in the rain is a unique experience, when you are really ONE with nature, nothing come close.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick
Remember that bikes do not hydroplane. The tires are rounded and will evacuate the rain on their sides. Still slow down and take your time. I will say it again, riding in the rain is a unique experience, when you are really ONE with nature, nothing come close.
Wow, I hadn't thought about that but it totally makes sense! I've been caught in the rain twice and was pretty freaked out. This will make me feel slightly safer when it happens again. Thanks!

Illegitimi non carborundum

Over the years, i learned that a truly waterproof gloves doesn't exist. Whatever the price.  They become wet and spongy. The best gloves i found is paddling gloves. Whatever the temperature my hands never become cold. These kind of goves is 10 times less expensive than presumably waterproof motorcycle gloves. And they dry in very short time.

I don't remember what is the thickness of my gloves, 2 or 3 mm.

my 2 cents.

past bikes: WR250X, KLR650, V-Strom 1000, DR650, FZ-6, SV650S, Seca II, GS400S, Seca 750, YZ80.

I have one by this manufacturer. Mine is a bright yellow with black pants. It's truly waterproof and yes, therefore does not breath well. On a warm day you would sweat your butt off. It does not do much great in cold weather either since it would not fit over a coat.

http://www.bikebiz.com.au/products/Dririder-Hurricane-Rain-Suit.html

• Premium Member
Over the years, i learned that a truly waterproof gloves doesn't exist. Whatever the price.  They become wet and spongy. The best gloves i found is paddling gloves. Whatever the temperature my hands never become cold. These kind of goves is 10 times less expensive than presumably waterproof motorcycle gloves. And they dry in very short time. 
I don't remember what is the thickness of my gloves, 2 or 3 mm.

my 2 cents.

Can you pm me an example you user, like from amazon? Might stick a pair in the bag for inclement weather.

Everything went braap.

wow I got caught in the rain 2 times now? I had my liner in my jacket so upper body was dry. just my lap was a little wet. I have a windscreen that I know helps a ton and I tuck my legs tight to the tank. next time you get caught in the rain try keeping your arm over your lap that's what I do.

I got caught in a nasty Florida downpour my first week with my fz on a ride home from work at night I have tcx move boots wp now and Am looking for some light weight packable cortex rain gear to keep with me

Couple years ago, i had First Gear pant that were really waterproof. But where a pant could show some signs of wear? Yeah, you're right, at the bottom. I was in my way back and i was in major downpour. I was sitting on my bike in wet and cold water. When i get off the bike, the same cold water was flowing down my legs.

Now, i use less expensive pant (non waterproof) and i bring a reliable, even after several years, rainsuit pant.

Even if i wear waterproof boots, i put some gaiters when it's raining. It doesn't take much place. It's cheap and efficient.

past bikes: WR250X, KLR650, V-Strom 1000, DR650, FZ-6, SV650S, Seca II, GS400S, Seca 750, YZ80.

Archived