The MT-07 Forum

What's your most outrageous excuse for a long ride?

aeisan

I was just thinking today...  What are some crazy stories you guys and gals have for a zany "excuse" to go ride?  How far have you ridden for said other "reasons" other than just going for a ride? 

For example (and not a good one by any means - I hope you all have MUCH better stories!) today, I was looking around for this new smart watch that just came out (Moto 360 if any of you are tech savvy) and the closest Best Buy that has one in stock is 3.5 hours away.  I thought to myself, that's a good excuse to go for a 7 hour ride!  I'd never drive that far for such a thing, but if I get to go ride, I just might!  

Someone... Please top that!  I know there's got to be some good stories out there! 

Life is good on 2 wheels!

• Global Moderator

Did you get the smart watch?

I really, really, really needed a peeler (not that I have others)
And although there are probably lots of stores nearby that sell them, the one I wanted was in one of my favourite stores in Ottawa, about 1.5 hour drive from my home. Nice peeler and nice ride!

IMG_0919.jpg

TwistedTorque

Road 2.5 hours on my red fz-07 to test ride the white fz-07 and see which was faster.

LOL

Ok fine. I didn't actually do it but everyone told me I should have when I got there.

I didn't - yet. That's the main reason my story is not very good haha, but it did spark the idea for this thread.

I can't see the pic you posted (work IT filter) but I think you got the essence of the thread. Thanks for sharing! (You too, TT!)

A friend of mine was having a bachelor party weekend. It was oringally set up to be a riding weekend since most of us rode bikes. Well some financial hardships fell on several of the guys and bikes had to be sold. So the BP weekend was going to just be a guys weekend out at camp... I decided my bike needed miles on the odometer so I rode the 3hrs to his house instead of driving.

I didn't - yet. That's the main reason my story is not very good haha, but it did spark the idea for this thread.  

So, how was the ride? 

I really, really, really needed a peeler (not that I have others)

IMG_0919.jpg

For a peeler? you are just plain crazy. But any excuses to ride a bike is always a good excuse. P-)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

640 miles to Jekyll island ga for shrimp and grits. Rode 640 miles home the next day.

Outstanding shrimp and grits.

500 miles to Memphis for The Long Road kick-off party on a race bike. Ride back the next day.

Left Eastern CT on a Wednesday. Slept in a hammock behind the rest area near Staunton va that night. Arrived in east tn Thursday afternoon to meet up with old riding buddies. Camped that night. Went to Rockingham nc tr next day. Partied our brains out till Sunday. Rode to myrtle beach for a few days. Then hauled butt to Louisville. Slept on a few couches there and took off for West Virginia for more camping. Then back to CT. 10'days on the road 5800 miles and a bazillion beers.

I have so many retarded riding stories. My funniest ones always involved getting pulled over by cops. I've talked my way out of countless tickets.

I've Told cops things like:
"do I look stupid? I left my bag if weed at home."
"Only 96mph? Are you sure?"
"Tell him to do the $&&@ing speed limit when he's off duty and I won't pass him on a double yellow"

I have my fun on scooters for sure.

-HowWorkClutch

When I lived in CA I rode from the SF Bay Area to Santa Barbara on a borrowed Ninja 500 to visit my little brother and go to a party that was being put on by some pro surfers and Red Bull. Hung around for a day after to nurse one hell of a hangover before riding back home and running out of gas on the 101 20 miles from home with a dead cell phone. Some nice hippies in a VW bus stopped and siphoned out a gallon of gas for me and I made it back.

640 miles to Jekyll island ga for shrimp and grits. Rode 640 miles home the next day.  
Outstanding shrimp and grits.

Awesome!  Exactly what I'm looking for!  

Anyone that hasn't been down south (and I say this as a midwestern boy transplanted down south) and tried some good shrimp & grits - you're missing out!  

• Premium Member

On Sunday I went out to Galena, IL for a burger. It was really an excuse to ride the Stagecoach trail with a friend who was on his Ducati Monster 1100 Evo.
That was a 360 mile round trip. All I could hear the whole 360 miles was his bike. That convinced me I need a new exhaust!

• Premium Member
crazycracka501

Rode from Palm Springs to San Ysidro, CA to buy a $50.00 pair of riding boots. Melted the heel of my favorite pair of boots on the exhaust on the way out. The new boots aren't really that comfortable, but I took HWY 74 to 391 to 79 all the way to the 8 and down the 125 to the 805, took 4 hours to get there and about 2.75 to get back on the freeway. Nearly 7 hours was a long gorgeous ride. Was like a honeymoon with my bike (without the sex) lol.

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

• 2 weeks later...

I drove a little over an hour to have dessert. was there for maybe 20 mins, than back home. I have done that trip just for burgers and just to to smoke a cigar in front of the ocean, because I was tired of smoking by the lake I was riding to normally.

Anything with a motor

rotaryryan24
Rode from Palm Springs to San Ysidro, CA to buy a $50.00 pair of riding boots. Melted the heel of my favorite pair of boots on the exhaust on the way out. The new boots aren't really that comfortable, but I took HWY 74 to 391 to 79 all the way to the 8 and down the 125 to the 805, took 4 hours to get there and about 2.75 to get back on the freeway. Nearly 7 hours was a long gorgeous ride. Was like a honeymoon with my bike (without the sex) lol.

That's a good ride right there.

You do or don't
Then your dead.

To order a tail tidy click
One-off-fabrication.myshopify.com

• 4 months later...
Went out for a short ride, and bike did not want to come home, hey i go where it goes.
Kinda did the same thing a few weeks ago. Went out for a quick spin around the block to test out the Airhawk seat. Ended up in a town about 65 miles away before. Went oh hey I guess I better head back home didn't mean to come out this far.  

My buddy and I usually plan our longer rides around finding really good California burritos lol

'15 FZ-07
'93 Honda XR650L (supermoto/pig) (SOLD)

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick
My buddy and I usually plan our longer rides around finding really good California burritos lol
Haha I understand! I've ridden 65 miles one way for grass fed sliders and sweet potato fries.

Illegitimi non carborundum

• Global Moderator

I went on a long ride yesterday. My wife looked on the Find My Friends app and said she was not worried as she could see I was moving :).

Archived