The MT-07 Forum

"How to" Changing your oil.

V8titanpwr

• Global Moderator
No... but if it makes you feel better, than have at it.
OK? Why would one not take advantage of this program? It's essentially a free warranty. Am I missing something?

I can see no reason not to do it if you want to use Yamalube and keep track of the paperwork. I did not hear about this until it was too late for my bike, and I expect that if I keep up with the recommended maintenance my FZ-07 will last as long as I want to keep it.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Global Moderator

One more thing, the reason Yamaha does this is because they will make more on the oil and filters than it costs to cover the occasional valid claim. Of course if your bike is the one that makes the claim then it is worth it.

One more thing, the reason Yamaha does this is because they will make more on the oil and filters than it costs to cover the occasional valid claim. Of course if your bike is the one that makes the claim then it is worth it.
Well aware of the reasoning behind their program here - but to me, its roughly about the same price (if not cheaper) than the oil/filters I would have used anyway 
And the little time it takes me to log these service intervals into their website to have that peace of mind is worth it in my opinion

If they did not offer this I would gladly utilize other oil, etc. 

Mr. E36 M3 man's comment's really did not make much sense to me as I don't see this process to be 'jumping through hoops' The first log I did took literally 5 minutes

I keeps it real
Instagram: @mr_neeme

• Global Moderator

@norcalnoob, I probably would have done it too if I had known about the program when I got my bike. I have been using Yamaha filters anyway and they have a synthetic oil. It is too late for me so I guess I save myself a bit of computer work (I already have a file with all my receipts so that would not be a problem).

@norcalnoob, I probably would have done it too if I had known about the program when I got my bike. I have been using Yamaha filters anyway and they have a synthetic oil. It is too late for me so I guess I save myself a bit of computer work (I already have a file with all my receipts so that would not be a problem).
Thank you for validating I am not a crazy person

I keeps it real

• Global Moderator
@norcalnoob , I probably would have done it too if I had known about the program when I got my bike. I have been using Yamaha filters anyway and they have a synthetic oil. It is too late for me so I guess I save myself a bit of computer work (I already have a file with all my receipts so that would not be a problem).
I am not sure I am saying you are not crazy, just that you are not crazier than me :)

I am not sure I am saying you are not crazy, just that you are not crazier than me :)
Haha I'll take that

I keeps it real

bmwpowere36m3
No... but if it makes you feel better, than have at it.
OK? Why would one not take advantage of this program? It's essentially a free warranty. Am I missing something?
I don't see any fine print on the webpage... but I'm pretty sure the warranty will only cover damage caused by OIL.   Not cover ANY damage that might occur in 20yrs or 100k miles.

So, if I understand that right...  than the warranty isn't meaningful, because I have never seen 1 documented case of engine damage due to oil.  Lack of oil, lack of change (OCI) and weight to a less degree... sure.  The only exception on a motorcycle would be the wet clutch and possibility of it slipping if an "improper" oil is chosen.

I don't buy Yamalube, don't want to be pigeon-holed to it, you have to log maintenance within a certain mileage and time frame, keep receipts, so on.

Not worth it to me...

• Premium Member
I don't see any fine print on the webpage... but I'm pretty sure the warranty will only cover damage caused by OIL.   Not cover ANY damage that might occur in 20yrs or 100k miles. 
So, if I understand that right...  than the warranty isn't meaningful, because I have never seen 1 documented case of engine damage due to oil.  Lack of oil, lack of change (OCI) and weight to a less degree... sure.  The only exception on a motorcycle would be the wet clutch and possibility of it slipping if an "improper" oil is chosen.

I don't buy Yamalube, don't want to be pigeon-holed to it, you have to log maintenance within a certain mileage and time frame, keep receipts, so on.

Not worth it to me...
I didn't see the fine print either, but is "logging it" enough? Maybe they require that it is done by Yamaha, in which case it just wouldn't be an option for me.  Just because you bought the product doesn't mean you poured it into your FZ-07.  I guess I'm just a little skeptical about the warranty claim, but if you've read the fine print and it seems reasonable, how can you lose? It's free. 

Why can't left turners see us?

Archived