The MT-07 Forum

"How to" Changing your oil.

V8titanpwr

I want to to the same, but how the heck can an aluminum bolt be magnetic? 

Anybody replaced the draining bolt for a magnet tip one?,I got one last year and now that I was ready to swap it I realized that the bolt is not made of steel,I think it's made of aluminum ,not so sure now if it would snap on removal,any thoughts?
The tip is magnetic but the bolt itself is aluminum,not sure if they are all like that,first one for me never used one before.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
crescentwrench

Anyone use Castrol GTX? I found a screaming deal on it today so picked some up. I've found mixed recommendations so far.

I want to to the same, but how the heck can an aluminum bolt be magnetic? 

The tip is magnetic but the bolt itself is aluminum,not sure if they are all like that,first one for me never used one before.
 all my BMW's gearboxes and final drives came with magnetic plugs , the 2ndary drain in my Aprilia came with one.  even the gearbox drain plug to my Subaru has a magnet. and now, the FZ has one. The bolts have all been steel with a round magnet inserted into the inward side.  
If one of these bolts ever gets too tight, never use an old style impact wrench - the kind you hit with a hammer - on them. The magnet will go shooting off inside. 

• 2 months later...

Maybe a N00B question. Maybe not. I don't know. Haha. But is it necessary to put your bije on a center stand to make it level when changing your oil? I see the drain plug is on the kickstand side so it makes sense that if you leave it on the kickstand, the oil will pool to that side and drian completely. I'm not sure though.

Maybe a N00B question. Maybe not. I don't know. Haha. But is it necessary to put your bije on a center stand to make it level when changing your oil? I see the drain plug is on the kickstand side so it makes sense that if you leave it on the kickstand, the oil will pool to that side and drian completely. I'm not sure though.
You need it level to check the oil level when you put the new oil in.

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause...till it come back to me.

You need it level to check the oil level when you put the new oil in.
Yeah. I did it yesterday and I found that out. Was good up till that point, then I needed to get someone to hold the bike up for me. Lol

• 9 months later...
dentalprodigy

Dumb question but I always struggle trying to calculate 2.75 qts from those 1 gallon (4 qt) oil bottles. I don't know if its the reverse numbering as oil level goes down, rough estimation required or what it is that throws me off. I'd really appreciate it if someone can confirm if I added the right amount of oil. I have a feeling I need to add a little more so my oil sight glass looks topped off. Not sure though.

Here's the album.

- 1st pic is engine ON, on rear stand after I added ~ 2 qts. No oil in oil sight glass
- following pics are with engine OFF after a 2 min warm up. After engine OFF, oil showed up in sight glass
- last pic is after I added some more oil (see last pic of rotella t6 oil bottle), on SIDE stand, engine OFF after a ride around block
- I marked the last pic to show where I started regarding oil level on oil bottle.

Please stupidify calculating the math on the oil bottles. I can't get it. I can't figure out where to "top" (4 quarts) is on the bottle when I start. I use a little bit of oil to put in the filter and that changes the starting oil level on the bottle. That throws me off I think.

https://goo.gl/photos/PPsqWQaG3YdEYXns8

dentalprodigy
4 - 2.75 = 1.25 left in bottle
Embarrassed lol  Thanks.  I'll go ahead and add just a tad more so I'm at 1.25 qt

• Global Moderator
4 - 2.75 = 1.25 left in bottle
Embarrassed lol  Thanks.  I'll go ahead and add just a tad more so I'm at 1.25 qt
The oil required is an approximation. Fill it until the level is between the marks on the sight guage when the bike is standing upright and the engine is off. The amount of oil that takes is not important. 

dentalprodigy

I ended up not adding any more oil based on the tips here and the fact that oil sight glass shows it's full with engine off, on rear stand(level). ..

Bike engine off, on rear stand after Rotella T6 oil change https://imgur.com/IyMwo6Q

• Global Moderator
I ended up not adding any more oil based on the tips here and the fact that oil sight glass shows it's full with engine off, on rear stand(level). .. 
Bike engine off, on rear stand after Rotella T6 oil change https://imgur.com/IyMwo6Q
You will not get an accurate reading if you are on a rear stand. The sight guage is towards the front of the oil sump so having the rear wheel off the ground will show an artificially high level reading. The bike should be held upright while both wheels are on the ground. 

• Premium Member
phicurious86
You will not get an accurate reading if you are on a rear stand. The sight guage is towards the front of the oil sump so having the rear wheel off the ground will show an artificially high level reading. The bike should be held upright while both wheels are on the ground. 
Which can be pretty hard to do by yourself. You can get a fairly accurate reading by dropping a block of wood on the ground and standing the kickstand on the block. Something like a 2x4. Just be careful not to tip the bike once you've got it standing on the block, and make sure that the block isn't too tall when you setting her down on the block for the first time.  

dentalprodigy

Interesting... crap now I'm feeling guilty. I've been riding the bike pretty hard since my "full" reading. Good to know about the rear stand bias. I have some 2*4's laying around. I'll check it next weekend. Thanks for the tips.

Guest ChicagoAJ
Which can be pretty hard to do by yourself. You can get a fairly accurate reading by dropping a block of wood on the ground and standing the kickstand on the block. Something like a 2x4. Just be careful not to tip the bike once you've got it standing on the block, and make sure that the block isn't too tall when you setting her down on the block for the first time.
I like to push the bike by the seat and grab on to the frame while crouching by the sightglass to hold it level to check the oil level. Might be hard for a smaller individual though if it goes past vertical beyond the point of no return. 

• Premium Member
I like to push the bike by the seat and grab on to the frame while crouching by the sightglass to hold it level to check the oil level. Might be hard for a smaller individual though if it goes past vertical beyond the point of no return. 
First, in the picture it appears to be above the fill line, second, it's close enough and doesn't matter, and finally ...  I've use the rear stand when changing, and if anything, you might end up with a little less oil then if it were flat.  Not enough less that it would make a difference.  Relax!  :) 

Why can't left turners see us?

Guest ChicagoAJ
First, in the picture it appears to be above the fill line, second, it's close enough and doesn't matter, and finally ...  I've use the rear stand when changing, and if anything, you might end up with a little less oil then if it were flat.  Not enough less that it would make a difference.  Relax!  :) 

I'm relaxed... But you definitely don't want to check the level on a rear stand. The sightglass is towards the front of the motor so even a few inches higher in the rear will greatly skew an accurate level. Just saying... 

Are none of you guys using Yamalube? Only reason I'm asking is I saw an add at the dealer stating Yamaha will warranty up to 100k if you use Yamalube brand oil and filters (logging your service history online)

I keeps it real
Instagram: @mr_neeme

• Premium Member
Are none of you guys using Yamalube? Only reason I'm asking is I saw an add at the dealer stating Yamaha will warranty up to 100k if you use Yamalube brand oil and filters (logging your service history online)
Sounds like a communist plot to me ;) .  I wonder what the "fine print" says on such a lofty claim.  
I ended up buying a full case of Amsoil synth 10w40 along with filters of the same. 

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

Guest ChicagoAJ
I use it because it's like 6 bucks a quart at my dealer. I use K&N oil filters though - like the nut attached to them. If you change your oil every 3,000 miles or so it doesn't matter what oil you use. 

bmwpowere36m3
^ Pointless and jumping through hoops...
Care to elaborate?
No... but if it makes you feel better, than have at it.  

Care to elaborate?
No... but if it makes you feel better, than have at it.
OK? Why would one not take advantage of this program? It's essentially a free warranty. Am I missing something?

I keeps it real
Instagram: @mr_neeme

Archived