The MT-07 Forum

"How to" Changing your oil.

V8titanpwr

Yes ... LOL.  It's not like you will use it again ;)  There are other types of filter wrenches.  I agree on the "fairings".  I'm sure they could engineer a way to make with simpler.  Sure is E Z on the FZ.

BTW, is it normal for oil filter wrenches to "SQUEEZE" the filter when trying to remove it? The poor thing was all dented when I got it off.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When should you do your first oil change? I just got my fz07 yesterday. Never had a chance to go through the maunel yet. I put 112kms on it yesterday

bmwpowere36m3
When should you do your first oil change? I just got my fz07 yesterday. Never had a chance to go through the maunel yet. I put 112kms on it yesterday

Factory recommendation is 600 miles, but I changed mine at 120 and 350 miles so far. At 120 miles the oil was really dark and shifting was getting notchy. I also broke my bike on hard... aka Mototune method.

• Premium Member
Thank you for all of the thoughts and instructions on oil change!  I changed it myself for the first time yesterday.  Because of all the tips in this tread, it went smoothly.  It was ez!

• Global Moderator

2k miles or so for my oil change intervals. I figured i'd toss out a warning since I pretty much change oil for a living.
If your're installing a new crush washer, tighten the drain plug down to seat it, but not crush it. (90° turn past snug with a wrench usually works) back it out, then re-torque it.
My mentor used to be a honda technician, said its the proper method for dealing wih any kind of crush washer.

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member
yamahappy74

Just finished my first oil change and did a chain slack adjustment to boot. That thing was at 3 in.! It might be in my head, but it feels like it shifts better and the power is more responsive.

Just changed oil over to 10/50 due to the +100 Degree temps. 10/50 is actually good for minus ten degrees thru 115 degrees, it has the widest temp coverage so I think I'll just stay with 10/50 year round.

I also use the K&N Oil filter due to the fact that it has a 17 MM wrench head on the front and that makes it so easy to remove with just a wrench.

• Premium Member
Just changed oil over to 10/50 due to the +100 Degree temps. 10/50 is actually good for minus ten degrees thru 115 degrees, it has the widest temp coverage so I think I'll just stay with 10/50 year round.  
I also use the K&N Oil filter due to the fact that it has a 17 MM wrench head on the front and that makes it so easy to remove with just a wrench.
Keep in mind you can find the HiFlo HF204RC with 17mm nut for about 10 bucks on amazon. [edit] FlyMotorSports has them for < $6 (but $8 or so shipping, so buy in quantity).

Why can't left turners see us?

Good idea. Share the oil brand? 
Do you notice any drag starting the engine cold? I ran 15/50(mobil) in another bike during hot weather but I noticed the engine did not turn over so great when cold so I quit using that weight.

I saw 10/60 weight oil in an auto parts store this morning. Wow.

I have switched to the best deal I could find on high quality synthetic bike oil.

Castrol Power RS Racing Synthetic 10/50 Weight on sale for $9.99 a quart here at Cycle Gear

3 quarts at $9.99 ea plus $6.99 shipping plus tax comes to only $29.97 for oil. That's the best deal I can find and this is very good oil. I know a race team who uses this in all their bikes, no issues. Plus, the 10/50 weight is the only weight oil that covers minus 10 degrees all the way up to 115 degrees.

Get some before the sale ends.

• Premium Member
I actually got a box of six of the K&N [HASH]204's at a yard sale for $10.00 last fall. Almost hurt myself yanking my wallet out so fast...
What a deal!   Can't beat that. 

Why can't left turners see us?

• 1 month later...
crescentwrench
I have switched to the best deal I could find on high quality synthetic bike oil.  
Castrol Power RS Racing Synthetic 10/50 Weight on sale for $9.99 a quart here at Cycle Gear

3 quarts at $9.99 ea plus $6.99 shipping plus tax comes to only $29.97 for oil. That's the best deal I can find and this is very good oil. I know a race team who uses this in all their bikes, no issues. Plus, the 10/50 weight is the only weight oil that covers minus 10 degrees all the way up to 115 degrees.

Get some before the sale ends.

The Cycle Gear sale ended, but Auto Zone is selling the same for $9.99 ea right now... In store pickup is free - and is an excuse to take the bike out too :)

My Autozone even stocks the K&N filters [HASH]204.
Thank's for the info,going to check that out and pick one up if they have it.

My local Motorcycle dealer has lifetime stock of the Yamaha filters for 13.00 going to get that instead.

$15.99 at my Autozone ... yours is ripping you off.  Even K&N will sell it for $15.99, free shipping.  It's worth the extra dollar or two especially with the nut attached to the filter.  Saves a big headache, makes an easy job even easier.

Just called my local Autozone 21.99 and they have to order it,thanks but no thanks.

$15.99 at my Autozone ... yours is ripping you off.  Even K&N will sell it for $15.99, free shipping.  It's worth the extra dollar or two especially with the nut attached to the filter.  Saves a big headache, makes an easy job even easier.

Just called my local Autozone 21.99 and they have to order it,thanks but no thanks.
Nobody's ripping me off lol,I  hung up the phone as soon as he said 21.99.I was at Walmart and found a Fram filter for 6.97 but not sure if is any good or not ,already have a filter wrench so no problem there.

Don't go too cheap .. after all, it's doing an important job.  I'd bet the K&N is one of the better ones.

Nobody's ripping me off lol,I  hung up the phone as soon as he said 21.99.I was at Walmart and found a Fram filter for 6.97 but not sure if is any good or not ,already have a filter wrench so no problem there.

Don't go too cheap .. after all, it's doing an important job.  I'd bet the K&N is one of the better ones. 

You're right I was thinking with my wallet (kind of empty lately :))I am returning the cheap Fram and getting yamaha oem from dealer next week,13.00 dollars it's not that bad.

Anybody replaced the draining bolt for a magnet tip one?,I got one last year and now that I was ready to swap it I realized that the bolt is not made of steel,I think it's made of aluminum ,not so sure now if it would snap on removal,any thoughts?

I want to to the same, but how the heck can an aluminum bolt be magnetic?

Anybody replaced the draining bolt for a magnet tip one?,I got one last year and now that I was ready to swap it I realized that the bolt is not made of steel,I think it's made of aluminum ,not so sure now if it would snap on removal,any thoughts?

Archived