The MT-07 Forum

2WDW flash tune snorkel removal

rekki

2WDW recommends removing the snorkel when getting the flash done. Is the video in link correct with just removing the snorkel? You don't have to remove any other covers, etc?

[video src=https://youtu.be/xcVi1PsRfHg?t=274]

Yup, this is exactly what I did. Leave the plate in there and just pull the snorkel out. I emailed Nels about this and he said the same thing.

• 1 month later...

I had my ECU flashed and didn't mention the snorkel. Can I remove the snorkel now or will I have to send the ECU back?

Guest 2wheeler
I had my ECU flashed and didn't mention the snorkel. Can I remove the snorkel now or will I have to send the ECU back?
If 2WDW did your flash, and you did not specify you wanted your flash with the snorkel removed, I would not take the snorkel out, and call them immediately to see what they did to your ECU. They have a separate flash for the snorkel being in or out. I'm assuming that one will be rich and one will be lean, and you don't want to run your bike lean.

Having said that, the snorkel being out gets more ponies out of your motor.

If 2WDW did your flash, and you did not specify you wanted your flash with the snorkel removed, I would not take the snorkel out, and call them immediately to see what they did to your ECU. They have a separate flash for the snorkel being in or out. I'm assuming that one will be rich and one will be lean, and you don't want to run your bike lean. 

Thanks! I thought they would have a separate flash, but wasn't 100%. I'll probably wait until winter to mess with the snorkel and a re flash.

Guest 2wheeler

Thanks! I thought they would have a separate flash, but wasn't 100%. I'll probably wait until winter to mess with the snorkel and a re flash.
Seriously, if 2WDW did your flash, it's worth a phone call to them to confirm they did your flash with the snorkel installed. I'm sure they have all of our flash info saved. If they did flash it for snorkel in, I would just pop your ECU out and have them reflash for snorkel out. Considering all you pay for is shipping, the bump you get for having no snorkel is well worth the time to remove the ECU, and less than a week downtime of riding. Heck, we are just starting riding season.

My $0.02 worth

I'm flashed for all stock and have my snorkel AND plate (top cover) removed. It works and sounds great.

I didn't have it reflashed and Nels knows I'm running this way.

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

Guest 2wheeler
It works and sounds great. 

... until my motor blew because I was running it too lean.

Motors typically run great lean until something seriously bad happens. I'm betting Nels didn't give you his blessing on running it that lean.

Seriously, you should consider sending the ECU back for a reflash. It would totally suck if your summer was ruined by a blown motor.

From this thread: https://fz07.org/thread/7339/twowheeldynoworks Nels knows.

Stock bike is lean. gets 50+ mpg, stock pipes go blue at the head, less power, etc.

My bike now gets 45 mpg, pipes aren't even thinking of bluing, much more power at all rpm, and runs cooler on the gauge.

All pointing to running richer.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone simply asked 2WDW if removing the baffle requires another flash? 
    I honestly don't know the answer but wouldn't a bike with an oxygen sensor compensate for a relatively minor change on the intake side?Does removing the snorkel really do that much for performance? Does it make more noise?     
I believe that my computer was flashed for 100% stock. I have no intention of removing the snorkel but this is interesting to me all the same.

• Global Moderator

I had mine flashed for stock. I removed the snorkel and was very pleasantly surprised by the exhaust sound. You can hear some intake noise but it is not very much and with earplugs in it is almost not noticeable.

2wheeldynoworks
Nels has stated on here a few times that there is extra power when you remove the snorkel. Call hm and discuss
Yessir! 
When combined with the tuning changes in the ecu flash, there is an increase in power in the midrange with the snorkel removed. Just removing it without the tuning won't get the increases and can lead to a lean condition so it is not recommended without the flash.

Feel free to give us a call 425-269-5332 or email 2wheeldynoworks@gmail.com anytime

So just to be completely clear on this, is there a flash for 100% stock and another flash for stock without the snorkel? 'cuz now I'll probably have to try it out just for giggles. :D I'm assuming it's the same flash and the computer compensates but I'll wait to hear back before I go pull the bike's nose off.

• Global Moderator

I emailed 2wdw with a question and heard back in a couple of hours today (on a Saturday). I had accidently left the air box lid off when I changed the air filter and was wondering if that was a problem. They said the flash was with the snorkel removed but not the lid, so I will reinstall it. I am getting really good at removing the plastics and tank.

I emailed 2wdw with a question and heard back in a couple of hours today (on a Saturday). I had accidently left the air box lid off when I changed the air filter and was wondering if that was a problem. They said the flash was with the snorkel removed but not the lid, so I will reinstall it. I am getting really good at removing the plastics and tank.
Yeah but how are you at removing warning stickers?   :D 

Seriously though, thanks for the information. I think I'll try the snorkel out thing and see how I like it. 8-)

• 2 weeks later...
2wheeldynoworks
So just to be completely clear on this, is there a flash for 100% stock and another flash for stock without the snorkel? 'cuz now I'll probably have to try it out just for giggles. :D I'm assuming it's the same flash and the computer compensates but I'll wait to hear back before I go pull the bike's nose off.
yes. we recommend snorkel out flash for the improved midrange but we do have a 100% stock flash, as well as stock + snorkel removed. the bike does not compensate for the removal of the snorkel and can lead to a dangerous lean condition, so we advise against removing the snorkel without the ecu being flashed at the same time. 

The following only applies to stock exhaust.

OK...After e-mailing back and forth, Nells said that Derek said that all 100% stock flashes done since the beginning were actually snorkel off flashes.

Also there is no difference between lid off and just snorkel removed.

Also there is no performance gain with any aftermarket air filter.

So remove that snorkel for more mid range punch if you don't mind the extra sound. I like it.

Okay so what if I go with the snorkel on but the lid off and I still have the warning sticker on my gas tank.....  :D

(The guys at 2WDW are very patient, don't ask me how I know) :-X   

2wheeldynoworks
     Okay so what if I go with the snorkel on but the lid off and I still have the warning sticker on my gas tank.....  :D 

(The guys at 2WDW are very patient, don't ask me how I know) :-X   

Well we all know if you remove the warning sticker and put on a 2wdw sticker it's worth an extra 5hp and 10mph for better aerodynamics ;) 

Archived