Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
V8titanpwr

"How to" Adjust FZ-07 throttle cable

sycthros
Just did it and it already feels so much nicer, now to test it out while riding!

pantheraleo
Cool thread. It was pretty easy, and mine needed the adjustment!

magsz18
How much slack SHOULD there be?

Can the cable be almost taut when the throttle is closed/released?

As it stands, when the throttle is closed, i have about 6mm's of slack.

Guest Ralph
Check the free play with the bars on full lock both ways as well as straight
ahead as the free play can differ depending on bar position.

snowdriftless
Thanks for the information. I am going to be purchasing an FZ-07 as my first bike and I plan on installing a limiter plate. They are available in a few countries that have tiered licensing for motorcycles and they just include a tab to prevent the throttle from being opened all the way. You can see what it looks like here:

[video src=http://youtu.be/qibf-8j3688]

Hopefully I shouldn't need to do much adjusting but if I do it shouldn't pose a problem.

mittypnj
This how I do it on my FZ-09 

Great vid. Just got rid of the slack in my throttle cable with this vid thx! 
  • Like 1

roadrunner
Thank you everyone for the information! Big-time help

xcarbonsteelx
Newbie question.

What is the purpose of doing this? How does one know if they have too much slack? Does this reduce the amount of rotation before throttle essentially kicks in or is this the fix with the R6 throttle replacement?

norcal616
It's more of a personal preference... Some ppl like a lil slac, me not so much...the slack is there to help the throttle cable from actually engaging the gas when you turn your handlebars...too tight of slack will make your motor rev when turning...as far as the r6 throttle tube mod you will have to reset both cables as the r6 throttle tube has a bigger "cam" to allow the " quick turn"...
  • Like 1

Mr.Puss
Very nice! I think this is exactly what I have been looking for. Thanks!

Cruizin

BUMP

r1limited

There should always be slight movement on the feel of the throttle before it engages.  Always Swing the bars to full lock right and left ensure this slack is there  I have seen far to many people get this wrong and on a bump or anything that may cause you to accidentally twist that throttle you are going to get hurt or worse it is to tight they make a right or left and the throttle opens up.  It is there for a reason, Throttle play is to feel I like a slight 3/16 or so in play before engagement, believe me this is important NEVER NOT HAVE PLAY, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER

Edited by r1limited
  • Like 1

firstyammerha

I just did the R6 throttle swap today and from the seat it is much quicker than the stock throttle. I saw this thread a week or so ago and I should have reviewed it before jumping in to the swap. Would have saved some time.

cyow5

To answer a question that was asked a couple times here, this is the technically correct amount of slack. The idea of 5mm being "okay" is a bit mind boggling but as R1 said, there is a reason to have some slack, too. 

image.png.271c15348ef91cece60b7be09318f94b.png

r1limited
7 minutes ago, cyow5 said:

To answer a question that was asked a couple times here, this is the technically correct amount of slack. The idea of 5mm being "okay" is a bit mind boggling but as R1 said, there is a reason to have some slack, too. 

image.png.271c15348ef91cece60b7be09318f94b.png

I am right again! Imagne that 😇

Ever have the stupid moment when you may lean back or adjust your self only to have the bike freakin excelerate on you and you suddenly lunge forward and your nads (Or whatever girly stuff) is now in the back of your throat?  Well I havn't but if I did I can tell you it is because of miss adjusted throttle cables and little to no slack.  I will just say it, people that say never put slack are stupid, plain stupid