The MT-07 Forum

"How to" Adjust FZ-07 throttle cable

V8titanpwr

There should always be slight movement on the feel of the throttle before it engages.  Always Swing the bars to full lock right and left ensure this slack is there  I have seen far to many people get this wrong and on a bump or anything that may cause you to accidentally twist that throttle you are going to get hurt or worse it is to tight they make a right or left and the throttle opens up.  It is there for a reason, Throttle play is to feel I like a slight 3/16 or so in play before engagement, believe me this is important NEVER NOT HAVE PLAY, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER

Edited by r1limited
  • Like 2

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• 1 month later...
firstyammerha

I just did the R6 throttle swap today and from the seat it is much quicker than the stock throttle. I saw this thread a week or so ago and I should have reviewed it before jumping in to the swap. Would have saved some time.

• 2 weeks later...

To answer a question that was asked a couple times here, this is the technically correct amount of slack. The idea of 5mm being "okay" is a bit mind boggling but as R1 said, there is a reason to have some slack, too. 

image.png.271c15348ef91cece60b7be09318f94b.png

7 minutes ago, cyow5 said:

To answer a question that was asked a couple times here, this is the technically correct amount of slack. The idea of 5mm being "okay" is a bit mind boggling but as R1 said, there is a reason to have some slack, too. 

image.png.271c15348ef91cece60b7be09318f94b.png

I am right again! Imagne that 😇

Ever have the stupid moment when you may lean back or adjust your self only to have the bike freakin excelerate on you and you suddenly lunge forward and your nads (Or whatever girly stuff) is now in the back of your throat?  Well I havn't but if I did I can tell you it is because of miss adjusted throttle cables and little to no slack.  I will just say it, people that say never put slack are stupid, plain stupid

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• 1 month later...
On 11/10/2015 at 5:02 PM, norcal616 said:

as far as the r6 throttle tube mod you will have to reset both cables as the r6 throttle tube has a bigger "cam" to allow the " quick turn"...

Both cables? 

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, phanomenal07 said:

Both cables? 

yup... one is to pull the throttle bodies open and the other pulls the throttle bodies back closed... 

I took the R6 tube off, great for quick accel but requires way more on point control when slowing down compared to stock tube... I got better throttle manipulation with stock tube as it requires a bit more wrist movement than the R6 tube...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

2 hours ago, norcal616 said:

... I got better throttle manipulation with stock tube as it requires a bit more wrist movement than the R6 tube...

Stock is also better for wheelie control...

35 minutes ago, stickshift said:

Stock is also better for wheelie control...

The r6 tube is fine once you get used to it if you're not hamfisting the throttle to begin with.

I'm glad i put the R6 tube on though. once I put my heated grips on, it was basically back to stock feeling. I can't imaging what a stock tube would feel like, you'd have a hard time getting to half throttle.

11 hours ago, norcal616 said:

yup... one is to pull the throttle bodies open and the other pulls the throttle bodies back closed... 

I took the R6 tube off, great for quick accel but requires way more on point control when slowing down compared to stock tube... I got better throttle manipulation with stock tube as it requires a bit more wrist movement than the R6 tube...

Every video I seen of so

eone installing the r6 tube they only adjust one cable by the handlebar. Where is the other cable at?

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, phanomenal07 said:

Every video I seen of so

eone installing the r6 tube they only adjust one cable by the handlebar. Where is the other cable at?

on the left side of the throttle bodies...

• Thanks 1

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member

Left side of throttle bodies.. both throttle cables can also be adjusted right here... 

IMG_2591_zpsv0gbo0z6.jpg

AlbatrossCafe

I used this tutorial a couple years ago. I have an R6 throttle tube and adjust my throttle to have almost no freeplay/slack. Some might call it twitchy but I love it.

I have no problems rev-matching or controlling the throttle, but then again I have been riding with it this way for 20k miles and I don't wheelie (intentionally, anyway).

Edited by AlbatrossCafe

TWIST IT WIDE OPEN AND KEEP IT THERE

Works for me :)

• 1 year later...
imherefortheride

Replying so I can save this thread. For some reason "follow" doesn't show up when I click the link.

• 2 years later...
On 9/8/2014 at 1:57 PM, V8titanpwr said:

[span]So you have too much slack in your throttle cable that you want to get rid of it. Do you have 5 minutes and a 10mm wrench? perfect, lets begin.

Well this doesn't look too good. You will notice that if you have too much slack in your cable that there is a little play on your throttle right before you get a response when you twist the grip. This is the cause right here.

StMqYLZ.jpg

You want to start by loosening the upper nut enough so you can pull the cable housing out from the metal bracket.

irDpQyT.jpg?1

The bottom nut controls how much slack you have and the top just tightens the throttle cable back into the metal bracket. Move the bottom nut down further on the threads, if you move the bottom nut up, it adds more slack, down reduces slack. Once you have the correct amount of slack just go ahead and tighten the top nut and your done.

There is also a fine adjustment you can also make on the nuts next to the master cylinder, those two nuts on the upper throttle cable can be adjusted in similar fashion. I think those are 8mm. 

dZTdkjp.jpg

You should end up looking like this.

NH73OD4.jpg

FhqPaYK.jpg

That simple guys. Ride safe.

[/span]

Is this top nut supposed to be tight? Seems like i can still spin with my fingers. 

When making this adjustment, keep in mind that the Yamaha  manual specifies 3 to 5 mm of cable slack.  In easy to remember terms, don't go less than 1/8" of slack.

Of course the locknut needs to be tightened to "snug".

Edited by Triple Jim

M. Hausknecht

Top nut is supposed to be tight. Bottom nut should be held in place by the steel "fingers"but I put a wrench on it to be sure, and then tighten the upper nut with a wrench.

• 11 months later...
On 9/8/2014 at 1:57 PM, V8titanpwr said:

You want to start by loosening the upper nut enough so you can pull the cable housing out from the metal bracket.

I attempted this yesterday but it seems that the bottom nut is high enough that it is still being held by thebracket teeth (tooths). 

How aggressive did you have to get.

2022 Yamaha MT-07 Cyan Storm, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 [VN2000A], 1997 Yamaha YZF600R - Thundercat [project]