The MT-07 Forum

"How to" Adjust FZ-07 throttle cable

V8titanpwr

Nice write-up! It really is that easy!

I would just add for folks that don't know, that to tighten the cable you adjust the bottom nut so it goes down on the threads. Moving it up on the threads will add slack.

Great job adding pics! I'm sure folks will find this very helpful!

Life is good on 2 wheels!

• Global Moderator

Great write-up. I like the thumbs up! I did this a while ago and it makes a big difference. I am used to blip the throttle while shifting down and when I start moving from a stand still and the action is more subtle. Mine had definitely too much slack.
Don't take out all the slack though.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member

There is still a tiny bit but not much at all, I like my bikes really responsive. At least with everyone knowing how to do it, they can choose the responsiveness level they are comfortable with.

• Like 1

Keep the rubber side down and the shiny side up.

There's actually a fine adjustment on the pull cable on the handlebar right by the master cylinder. You will see a plastic sleeve that covers the adjuster, slide it back and you will see 2 nuts and a long hex drum, with 2 8mm wrenches that's where you make your adjustment.  The adjustment at the other end of the cables is a rough adjustment, that's also where the cables are removed if you are taking off the throttle body. Hope this is helpful. ::)

• Thanks 1

There's actually a fine adjustment on the pull cable on the handlebar right by the master cylinder. You will see a plastic sleeve that covers the adjuster, slide it back and you will see 2 nuts and a long hex drum, with 2 8mm wrenches that's where you make your adjustment.  The adjustment at the other end of the cables is a rough adjustment, that's also where the cables are removed if you are taking off the throttle body. Hope this is helpful. ::)

output_zpsf35cyt5t.jpg

That's where I adjusted too. Either way works though.
  • Like 3

Great information in this thread. I have applied the "raw adjustment" method and it worked well. Way easier to shift smoothly now. Also, the transition between off-throttle and on-throttle is not that abrupt anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

Great advise. As said above having the excess throttle slack removed really improves the off-throttle,shift,on-throttle sequence. Thank You for the advice.

Just did this yesterday myself (before seeing this thread) My bike is only a week old but was set up with quite a bit of slack. Spent 5 mins before my canyon ride yesterday and took it out. MUCH more better! :)

• 3 months later...

I love you...i love you...and have i mentioned i loved you?

seriously though, thank you so much

I'm just a soul whose intentions are good

Just did it and it already feels so much nicer, now to test it out while riding!

I'm just a soul whose intentions are good

• 4 weeks later...

Cool thread. It was pretty easy, and mine needed the adjustment!

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause...till it come back to me.

How much slack SHOULD there be?

Can the cable be almost taut when the throttle is closed/released?

As it stands, when the throttle is closed, i have about 6mm's of slack.

• Premium Member
snowdriftless

Thanks for the information. I am going to be purchasing an FZ-07 as my first bike and I plan on installing a limiter plate. They are available in a few countries that have tiered licensing for motorcycles and they just include a tab to prevent the throttle from being opened all the way. You can see what it looks like here:

[video src=http://youtu.be/qibf-8j3688]

Hopefully I shouldn't need to do much adjusting but if I do it shouldn't pose a problem.

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

• 3 months later...
This how I do it on my FZ-09 

Great vid. Just got rid of the slack in my throttle cable with this vid thx! 
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
xcarbonsteelx

Newbie question.

What is the purpose of doing this? How does one know if they have too much slack? Does this reduce the amount of rotation before throttle essentially kicks in or is this the fix with the R6 throttle replacement?

- xCarbonSteelx

• Premium Member

It's more of a personal preference... Some ppl like a lil slac, me not so much...the slack is there to help the throttle cable from actually engaging the gas when you turn your handlebars...too tight of slack will make your motor rev when turning...as far as the r6 throttle tube mod you will have to reset both cables as the r6 throttle tube has a bigger "cam" to allow the " quick turn"...

• Like 1

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• 5 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Very nice! I think this is exactly what I have been looking for. Thanks!

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.