Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
V8titanpwr

"How to" Adjust FZ-07 throttle cable

V8titanpwr

[span]So you have too much slack in your throttle cable that you want to get rid of it. Do you have 5 minutes and a 10mm wrench? perfect, lets begin.

Well this doesn't look too good. You will notice that if you have too much slack in your cable that there is a little play on your throttle right before you get a response when you twist the grip. This is the cause right here.

StMqYLZ.jpg

You want to start by loosening the upper nut enough so you can pull the cable housing out from the metal bracket.

irDpQyT.jpg?1

The bottom nut controls how much slack you have and the top just tightens the throttle cable back into the metal bracket. Move the bottom nut down further on the threads, if you move the bottom nut up, it adds more slack, down reduces slack. Once you have the correct amount of slack just go ahead and tighten the top nut and your done.

There is also a fine adjustment you can also make on the nuts next to the master cylinder, those two nuts on the upper throttle cable can be adjusted in similar fashion. I think those are 8mm. 

dZTdkjp.jpg

You should end up looking like this.

NH73OD4.jpg

FhqPaYK.jpg

That simple guys. Ride safe.

[/span]

• Like 12

aeisan
Nice write-up! It really is that easy!

I would just add for folks that don't know, that to tighten the cable you adjust the bottom nut so it goes down on the threads. Moving it up on the threads will add slack.

Great job adding pics! I'm sure folks will find this very helpful!

Guru
Great write-up. I like the thumbs up! I did this a while ago and it makes a big difference. I am used to blip the throttle while shifting down and when I start moving from a stand still and the action is more subtle. Mine had definitely too much slack.
Don't take out all the slack though.
  • Thanks 1

V8titanpwr
There is still a tiny bit but not much at all, I like my bikes really responsive. At least with everyone knowing how to do it, they can choose the responsiveness level they are comfortable with.
  • Like 1

manuel
Thank you good sir! I know what I'll do when I get home today :)
Mandatory ride to test the outcome is also in order.

cassecou
Another great V8 tutorial.

scordiaboy515
There's actually a fine adjustment on the pull cable on the handlebar right by the master cylinder. You will see a plastic sleeve that covers the adjuster, slide it back and you will see 2 nuts and a long hex drum, with 2 8mm wrenches that's where you make your adjustment.  The adjustment at the other end of the cables is a rough adjustment, that's also where the cables are removed if you are taking off the throttle body. Hope this is helpful. ::)

• Thanks 1

sigma2chi
There's actually a fine adjustment on the pull cable on the handlebar right by the master cylinder. You will see a plastic sleeve that covers the adjuster, slide it back and you will see 2 nuts and a long hex drum, with 2 8mm wrenches that's where you make your adjustment.  The adjustment at the other end of the cables is a rough adjustment, that's also where the cables are removed if you are taking off the throttle body. Hope this is helpful. ::)

output_zpsf35cyt5t.jpg

That's where I adjusted too. Either way works though.
  • Like 3

scordiaboy515
Cool, thanks for the photo sigma2chi

manuel
Great information in this thread. I have applied the "raw adjustment" method and it worked well. Way easier to shift smoothly now. Also, the transition between off-throttle and on-throttle is not that abrupt anymore.

fz07thunder
Great advise. As said above having the excess throttle slack removed really improves the off-throttle,shift,on-throttle sequence. Thank You for the advice.

Cruizin
This how I do it on my FZ-09

dewski
Just did this yesterday myself (before seeing this thread) My bike is only a week old but was set up with quite a bit of slack. Spent 5 mins before my canyon ride yesterday and took it out. MUCH more better! :)

sycthros
I love you...i love you...and have i mentioned i loved you?

seriously though, thank you so much