The MT-07 Forum

Rear brake switch problem

jbone

In showing off my new integrated tail light to my buddy, I found that applying the rear brake would not activate the brake light. I have no clue how long it's been like this. I pulled the metal side panel guy off to give me access to the rear brake area. I found the brake switch and saw no obvious wire connection issues and it was connected to the brake lever via a spring. Upon further inspection, I found the switch was loose in the bracket.

It's a plastic piece with a threaded male end that fits through a little bracket and uses a plastic nut to hold it into place. The nut is used to essentially lengthen or shorten the travel distance of the switch actuator. Too loose and it wont activate. Too tight and the brake light will stay on continuously.  I got it adjusted so that the brake light activates when it should, but the damn thing is still loose. Loose as in you can rotate the switch and it just has a lot of slop in it. I feel that after a few rides, normal vibration will cause the nut to back off. Being blunt, these things seem like cheap pieces of junk.

If anyone is tinkering around in this area of their bike, could you check it and let me know your findings? Or if anyone has had the same issue, did you have to replace the switch?

Here is where the switch is located on the bike

rear_bike_relay.jpg

Here is the entire switch

woodcraft_complete_rearset_kit_yamaha_fz0720152016_zoom.jpg

large gif hosting

Mine will spin as well and I've not experienced any problems with it becoming "un adjusted" while riding. I do check it's operation before every ride but I've never had to re adjust it. Best way I've found to adjust it is hold the top where the wires go in (to keep it from spinning) then turn the nut by hand.

Mine will spin as well and I've not experienced any problems with it becoming "un adjusted" while riding. I do check it's operation before every ride but I've never had to re adjust it. Best way I've found to adjust it is hold the top where the wires go in (to keep it from spinning) then turn the nut by hand.
Interesting. Just a sloppy made part then. Yeah, that's what I did to tighten it up. Was just worried about it being a non-stop issue. Thanks!

• 3 years later...