The MT-07 Forum

Drilled Akra Ti baffle, awesome

dasmuss

Hi guys, 

i removed and and drilled 4 holes in my baffle, as per a YouTube vid I saw, I'm so happy with this mod, the sound is pretty much right in the middle of baffle in vs baffle out, just an awesome growl, its bloody great hahaha, if anyone is keen but has dramas trying to get baffle out etc. I'd be happy to answer any questions 
IMG_1680.jpg

IMG_1681.jpg

• 4 months later...

Was yours one with a screw to remove the baffle, or the spot weld? Opened mine last night to find I have to drill out the spot weld to get the baffle out. SO much for reusing it. :(

topazsparrow

I want to do this because it's a touch too loud without the baffle, but at the same time, I REALLY like how it looks without the baffle in.

Was yours one with a screw to remove the baffle, or the spot weld? Opened mine last night to find I have to drill out the spot weld to get the baffle out. SO much for reusing it. :(
I got mine out with a spot weld. Just have to drill it and be patient pulling it out. 
i drilled a few more holes than this but I started there. You find where you like it then stop drilling holes haha

• 2 months later...

I'm confused...So I'm looking at the holes you drilled.. How does the exhaust exit from the holes you drilled? Since the baffle is sealed with only those two bigger outlet tubes letting out exhaust, that would mean that the small holes you drilled in the exhaust baffle cant really doing anything in terms of efficiency and power. it's just the tiny holes in your exhaust baffle just making noise inside the muffler... and i have no idea how that exhaust exits either. 

If you could help me better understand that if I'm wrong that would be great. Im having a problem with my baffle being too loud when its taken out and being extremely quiet and ugly as hell when it's in. I shaved the two bigger exhaust tubes coming out of the baffle by a couple inches but it didn't change much. 

AlbatrossCafe
1 hour ago, s25hanh said:

I'm confused...So I'm looking at the holes you drilled.. How does the exhaust exit from the holes you drilled? Since the baffle is sealed with only those two bigger outlet tubes letting out exhaust, that would mean that the small holes you drilled in the exhaust baffle cant really doing anything in terms of efficiency and power. it's just the tiny holes in your exhaust baffle just making noise inside the muffler... and i have no idea how that exhaust exits either. 

In the OP's situation, it makes it louder because the exhaust has to spend less time in the "sound deadening" region of the muffler.

Think of the sound being a screensaver from back in the day where the square bounces around the edges of the computer screen, and imagine that only 1 corner of the screen has a hole in it. The square (sound) has to bounce around in the screen (muffler) a whole bunch before it can randomly find that opening and escape. By adding more holes, you increase the chances that it can find an opportunity to get out quickly. The sound on average escapes faster and that therefore it makes it louder.

8XQ2zBX.gif

I did the same thing with my Akra carbon baffle about 2 years ago ago. It was fine for a while but after a bit even the cut baffle was too loud. I now run normal baffle-in again.

Here are some posts on how I modified mine:

3vWqul9.jpg

You gots it all Wrong Bro

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

The holes still lacked that deep rumble of the no baffle set up.

I cut those inner tubes right off. Sounds really good except there's a resonant pressure wave on decel that sounds a bit like a fart.

To remedy this I verified that the FZ-09 Akra Ti baffle fits (it does in diameter). I'll be trimming the three inner pipes down at different lengths to alleviate the uniformity of that pressure wave and hopefully prevent that sound on decel a bit or altogether. I've seen some good custom baffles on the FZ-09 forums as well. It's just a 63mm opening, use your imagination!

Something like this: 

Disbelief.jpg

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• 2 months later...
  • Premium Member
On 4/8/2017 at 5:14 PM, dasmuss said:

Hi guys, 

i removed and and drilled 4 holes in my baffle, as per a YouTube vid I saw, I'm so happy with this mod, the sound is pretty much right in the middle of baffle in vs baffle out, just an awesome growl, its bloody great hahaha, if anyone is keen but has dramas trying to get baffle out etc. I'd be happy to answer any questions 
IMG_1680.jpg

IMG_1681.jpg

I did this same thing on my Akrapovic Ti system... It is nice "Happy Medium" between DB killer in/out? I recently did the "Hordpower" airbox mod. I'm not sure if I made the right choice now? I'm nearly certain the PVC map he gave me was designed for having the DB killer in.... I may try to buy a DB killer from Akrapovic, and see if my "butt-dyno" can tell a difference?

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

More holes

Drill the header too in a spiral design with 3/8s holes 😆

Archived