The MT-07 Forum

Anyone here have experience with FT ECU? Issues connecting

topazsparrow

topazsparrow

Just got my FT ECU package in the mail the other day so I registered with them and installed the software on my laptop.

I'm having problems marrying the lic to the ECU though.

Here's what's in my support ticket, but I likely won't hear back till Monday and was hoping someone here may have run into this before:

"Status: Fail: No Response" is the error I'm receiving every attempt to write to the ECU.

I've ensured that the pins are properly seated in the harness connector and that the ground is in an appropriate location.
After loading the 2015 FZ-07 - 2RC-8591A-00(US) - Unrestricted.ftm flash, and attempting to Write ECU, I'm unable to connect to the ECU.

Initial Dialog prompts me to turn key on --> Ok.
Next prompt is "No Registered ECU Found. Attempt to marry To Virgin Lic#" ---> Yes
Prompt to turn key off --> OK
Prompt to turn key on --> OK   (Dash now displays "Err: HI")
Status: Connecting... for about 10 seconds and then I receive the error "Status: Fail: No response..."
I've attempted this numerous times now and waited varying amounts of time before continuing the prompts and turning the key off and on. I've also Attempted to leave the key on and just unplug the harness as instructed to the same result.

topazsparrow

Rather than Delete this, I'll leave it here for anyone else in the future.

I changed the ground location and it started working. No idea why that fixed it, but there ya go.

Tuned up and running active tune module - bike rips now.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Thanks for the update. I have my kit, but have not installed it yet.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

Just be careful. I accidentally pulled a wire part way out that controls the #1 coil so my bike didn't want to run and I couldn't figure out why.

• 4 weeks later...

I really screwed this up. I ended up pulling out the wires once they were seated in the connector and pulled the wires off the connectors. They are now stuck in the connector and I've got no idea how to get them out. I don't want to install the new exhaust until I can get the broken off connectors out and the wires back in.

Anyone know how to do that?

• Like 1

When I was fiddling with mine, I accidentally pushed one of those plastic pins deeper into the connector and spent 2 hours trying to figure out how to dig it out. I ended up sticking a paperclip thru the underside of the connector and "pushing" the pin out. I'm sure the same would work in your situation. Sorry about the broken connectors, that's a bummer.

• Like 2

Oh and what's all this "No Registered ECU Found. Attempt to marry To Virgin Lic#" about??? I wasn't expecting that. When I clicked no, it wanted me to buy some license for $100 bucks. I don't get it. I thought I bought everything I needed.

I believe you just have to click yes. I couldn't find that on their walkthrough though. I think this is just coupling your account with your ecu so you aren't able to flash your whole riding group all willy nilly. Could be wrong.

I figured it was something like that. I was thinking I did it wrong cuz I registered and downloaded the program before even hooking it up to my bike so I thought "oh crap I just bought the wrong license".

Thanks for the paper clip idea. I'll give it a shot today.  

The virgin license thing is normal.  You get one free when you try to connect the first time then you can buy more if you want to flash other ECUs.

Like others have said, the connection issue sounds normal. When you fire up the software and connect to the ECU, it "marries" the ECU with a license code. Your computer has to be hooked to the internet and you have to be logged in to your account, because the license is in your FTECU account. I don't know how they put the license codes in your account, but sometimes it takes a day or so after your purchase.

The pins have little lock tabs that need released to pull them out. I have a teeny tiny little screwdriver for such use. And reading glasses. lol

• Like 1

J.D. Hord

Highly recommend people watch the Jakethegardensnake Youtube video for install on this, it is fairly thorough. I have the bench flashing kit, so it didn't help me much but it could help others planning the install.

• 1 year later...
On 4/8/2017 at 5:49 PM, topazsparrow said:

Rather than Delete this, I'll leave it here for anyone else in the future.

I changed the ground location and it started working. No idea why that fixed it, but there ya go.

Tuned up and running active tune module - bike rips now.

Where did you hook up the ground?

On 9/7/2018 at 10:55 PM, Ogdenm51 said:

Where did you hook up the ground?

Watch that jakethegardensnake video that was linked above your post at around 7:17 he shows where he connects the ground.

• 5 months later...

I also have the same problem but my ground is hooked directly to the battery, how could it not have a ground to cause this same problem?

• 1 month later...
bccchs@hotmail.com

i've had same exactly issue, found this thread and change ground place and everything works great!