The MT-07 Forum

Heavy Riders (250+lbs)

snyper82

I'm new to the forum, and I don't have a bike yet.
I'm shopping for my next bike, I've been without one for about 3 years now.  I really want an Fz-07 but I weight around 280-ish lbs and measure up to about 5'5", my wife is about the same but 5'7".  I need to know a few things...

1. what would I have to do to an FZ-07 to make it my daily rider (suspension-wise)?
2. will we ever be able to ride 2-up on it?
3. would there be a better bike for me/us?

We are both losing weight but it isn't going dropping very fast.

thank you in advance for your response!

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

The Specs in the FZ-07 owners manual list the maximum load (rider, passenger, cargo and accessories) as 386 lbs.

I weigh 220lbs with all my gear and mostly just ride on weekends with no passenger. I rode my bike with the stock suspension for two years and found it to be fine on good roads, but lacking on others. Also, curves were ok if I went at a moderate pace. Currently waiting to get my modified forks back from Matt with the Matris F15K cartridge upgrade. Will be installing my new Nitron R1 rear shock, after I put my forks back on the bike. These suspension upgrades should bring out the best in this bike, so looking forward to my first ride with these upgrades.

• Global Moderator

More than capable for one of you, the fz07 as kayaker said is rated for 386lbs carrying capacity. for roughly $1500 more you can upgrade the front and rear suspension to ride two up,
Im 6'1 @ 240 and did bith front and rear suspension because the stock spring/valves are set for a 140-160lb rider
Made a Huge difference in comfort and handling

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

I just picked up a 2016 FZ-07 and I'm pretty comfortable stock setup and I weigh in at [HASH]280 6'3. My girl is [HASH]105 and It was alright 2up, but not the best. I'll be looking at upgrading the suspension for sure.

I weigh in at approx. 250 and the suspension definitely needs upgrading. Just saving up the nickles and dimes to do it right once.

The rear shock is not really up to the job, though mine is
still standard at 12,000 miles, but if you intend riding
2 up for any reasonable milage I dont think good as it is
the FZ-07 is the bike for you, ok for a short trip but the
pillion will soon want a stretch on longer runs.
My wife is happy for a 40 mile round trip but she is
smallish and hard as nails.

[div]Does anyone know with certainty that this bike, with upgraded shock, can safely hold 560 or thereabouts pounds? Does anything else have to be upgraded/strengthened for it to be safe? [/div]

Beemer

560 is an almost impossible # for any bike.

The 386 lbs. Cant and shouldn't be ignored. It is the design of the frame, load handling of the tires, etc.

Upgrading the rear shock better handles that 386 lbs.

Have people got away with overloading...yes. Don't combine top speed with an overloaded bike works for one way.

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

I sure hope nobody from yamaha sees this but here goes..... I weigh about 320 fully kitted and have had my dad on the back at about 200. Bike was fine in stock and did a 100km round trip. I do not condone this but i have had it work and about 5000km later the bike is fine. A salesman at yamaha did tell me that the stated weight limit wasnt actually a limit,more of a guide.

Again,i dont recomend this but i hope it helps

Archived