The MT-07 Forum

What color is your engine coolant?

MarylandFZ07

Accidently dropped my coolant reservoir when make some mods to the bike. Not a whole lot spilled but enough to put me beneath the L (Low mark)...

Per the manual, the engine coolant level should be measured when the bike engine is cold and should be filled close to the maximum level. (max level is about halfway of the reservoir to allow room for expansion)

However, I cannot find any information in regards to what kind of coolant I should use to top it off with. I currently have blue coolant installed from the dealer/factory, but when I called them to ask for the product, they said it should have came with standard green glycol coolant. They said blue is typically "engine ice" and does NOT come standard on bikes.

What color is yours?

Anyone know what type of coolant I can use to top of the blue coolant currently in my reservoir?  :| 

I havnt gotten to take a look at what color my coolant is but judging by looking at the reservoir it's definitely not green.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Premium Member

I want to say mine looks red through the plastic reservoir?? I'll take a look this afternoon. Yamaha sells their own rebranded coolant, I should keep a jug on hand for such an event.

Everything went braap.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Mine looks blue-green. I guess that's no help to you at all.

Illegitimi non carborundum

when i changed mine, the coolant was a dark green color.
I may just do a complete swap. just to make sure I know what is in it.... is it as simple as dumping it out and unhooking hoses to drain?

• Global Moderator

Hi @catfishpancake, great to have you here. Thanks for joining the discussion.

Maybe just top her off with water?
Well ... never use tap water if any water at all.  Really should be a 50/50 mix, getting the pre-mix is easiest.

catfishpancake
when i changed mine, the coolant was a dark green color.
I may just do a complete swap. just to make sure I know what is in it.... is it as simple as dumping it out and unhooking hoses to drain?
Pretty much.  Here's the step I took: 
1. when the bike is cool enough to safely do so, remove the radiator cap. note that there is a small retaining bolt that needs to be removed from the side of the radiator cap before it can be removed.
2. remove coolant reservoir, empty it out, re-install
3. remove the coolant drain bolt to drain the fluid in the system. note if you trace the hose that connects at the bottom of the radiator, it leads to the water pump housing/cover on the right side of the bike.  on the bottom of this line just before it reaches the housing is the coolant drain bolt.
4. with the drain bolt removed and the coolant drained, flush the system with clean water. it should all drain out and be clear in color.
5. replace drain bolt and fill the radiator up. note that you may have to wait here and there for air bubbles to surface. it should take just under 1 and 3/4 of a quart.
6. replace radiator cap and retaining bolt. start and let idle for a couple minutes. then shut off.  i keep the display on engine temp when it's idling so that i can make sure the temps don't get too high.
7. after letting it cool so that it's safe to remove the radiator cap, do so and see if it needs to be topped off. if so, you might want to top it off and go back to step 6. if the level is fine, put the radiator cap back on and go to the next step.
8. examine the coolant reservoir level. if it is low, add coolant directly to the reservoir through the top of the reservoir until the level is right.  

The normal Yamaha coolant is blue. But you should be fine running any type of universal coolant in the bike. If you are using the concentrate, make sure you cut it 50/50 with distilled water.

DD96D5D6-F175-4C40-BD68-9810439B0853_zpsqhocqcca.jpg

Just a bit more information.

Page 3-25 of Service Manual:

Recommended antifreeze:

High quality ethylene glycol antifreeze containing corrosion inhibitors for aluminum engines.

Mixing ratio 1:1 (antifreeze : water)
Radiator capacity (including all routes) 1.60L (1.69 US qt, 1.41 Imp. qt)
Coolant reservoir capacity (up to the maximum level mark) 0.25L (0.26 US qt, 0.22 Imp. qt)

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread but I have a Noobish question for you guys and girls. So I'm new to the on road motorcycle world, first bike is the fz07. It's my first winter and I live in the mountains. I plan on riding every day to class until it's very snowy and icy and I can't do so and have to put it up for the rest of the winter. Do I need to change the coolant to a specific type designed to be used in 40°-say possibly 20° temps? Or is the factory coolant okay to leave in the bike? Thanks for any advice. Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place. Ride safe

• Premium Member

Bax...no need to change coolant if it's still the same from factory...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

I think a 50/50 mix should give a -34 protection. I believe a 75 antifreeze 25 distilled water will give you a -50 protection. Go to an auto parts store and get a coolant tester. I tests the "gravity" of the mix and will show you the temperature its protected to. I'd let it run so the coolant is mixed well.

Archived