The MT-07 Forum

M4 Exhaust and the stage 2 baffle option

ccmike

Hi all,New guy in town. I just picked up my 2016 FZ-07 and love it. Just like anyone, can't leave well enough alone and started changing stuff. I thought the stock exhaust was too quiet, so I started looking at options. Found that the M4 slip on was just what I was looking for. Watched tons of vids, didn't sound too loud on screen. haha I pulled the trigger on it and installed it. It sounded amazing with the baffle out. The next day, I went for an hour ride and began to dislike how loud it was. It was really wearing on me. I went home and put the baffle in and rode it the next day with a clear mind. Better, but still pretty harsh on my ears after 30 mins. Now I am wishing I never messed with the exhaust, my neighbors must hate me. So do my ears...I called M4 and spoke with their tech support. He was very helpful and told me a little about their Q4/stage 2 baffle. He even gave me a quick scale of comparison for the Db's measured. Baffle out 108db, baffle in 100db, stage 2 baffle 97db and stock OEM 89db. Question is, has anyone purchased the Stage 2 baffle from M4? And how much did it soften the sound in your experience? Was it worth buying the Stage 2? Or should I just search for a stock pipe again? All input is welcome. Thank you!
ccmike

Decibel increments correspond to a logarithmic amount of noise increase or decreasing. If they sel something that lowers the decibels by as much as you said then it'll be substantially more quiet. 2 cents..

:) Thank you crsnhppr, I agree it will be quieter. I'm just hoping someone has purchased one and can share their experience.

I'm in the same boat as you. I think it's really loud with the baffle in. I was looking at the Q4 baffle too. Let us know if you decide to go for it and what you think of it.

• Premium Member

3 db's will be a noticeable amount, but whether it will be quiet enough for you is hard to say.

Unfortunately, these under-frame glass packs are short, so they will always be relatively loud and then baffling just adds restriction to reduce noise. That is one reason why I custom welded an exhaust with a full-length glass pack. For me, it is plenty quiet and it has no baffle. I plan to take a db reading soon for reference because all ears are different.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

3 db's will be a noticeable amount, but whether it will be quiet enough for you is hard to say. 
Unfortunately, these under-frame glass packs are short, so they will always be relatively loud and then baffling just adds restriction to reduce noise. That is one reason why I custom welded an exhaust with a full-length glass pack. For me, it is plenty quiet and it has no baffle. I plan to take a db reading soon for reference because all ears are different.
I agree with it being so short. I am considering riding over to my local muffler shop to see if he can extend it back further, or just get any ideas from him. I worry that if it is too long, i may grind it on right turns.

• Premium Member

Also, I don't think it helps that the loud exhaust exits at your feet instead of behind you like the old school exhausts. You may want to look into an Arrow exhaust that exits past the passenger pegs.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

If you look at the M4 baffle there are a ton of holes drilled in it. I wonder if you could weld up a few to quiet it down somewhat. I bet the Q4 baffle just has less holes in it.

If you look at the M4 baffle there are a ton of holes drilled in it. I wonder if you could weld up a few to quiet it down somewhat. I bet the Q4 baffle just has less holes in it.
The M4 tech guy said the Q4 baffle is a lot longer then the stock baffle. I forgot to ask him about holes. 

The M4 tech guy said the Q4 baffle is a lot longer then the stock baffle. I forgot to ask him about holes.  
Did he happen to say how much the Q4 baffle costs? I'm tempted to be the guinea pig on it.

Did he happen to say how much the Q4 baffle costs? I'm tempted to be the guinea pig on it.

40 bucks. not bad really. I'm just so close to saying "screw it and buying the OEM again."

Would be super if you'd buy the insert and give a good ole video or two of the differences!

:)  thank you all for the input. I have decided to go back to stock. I found an Ebay take off for a decent price. The way I see it, stock is 8 decibels less than the best option M4 offers. According to the M4 tech, the back pressure or restriction of the Q4 and the OEM are roughly the same. So really no more gains using the M4 with Q4 baffle (other than being louder). Hopefully my experience helps someone before they go through this costly process LOL. You have to really love loud if you do this mod!

I just got off the phone with M4. I ordered the Q4 baffle. It was $56 plus shipping. I will report back after testing it out. Just ordered a new gopro microphone last week so hopefully can capture some decent audio too.

I just got off the phone with M4. I ordered the Q4 baffle. It was $56 plus shipping. I will report back after testing it out. Just ordered a new gopro microphone last week so hopefully can capture some decent audio too.
Awesome! I look forward to hearing it. I may have to hang on to my M4 Assy till I hear yours. I am thinking i will sell the complete pipe with the M4 if anyone here in the Northwest is interested.

• Premium Member

One downside to stock is the cat possibly plugging if you decide you want the engine to run more rich with an ecu flash.

Awesome! I look forward to hearing it. I may have to hang on to my M4 Assy till I hear yours. I am thinking i will sell the complete pipe with the M4 if anyone here in the Northwest is interested.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

One downside to stock is the cat possibly plugging if you decide you want the engine to run more rich with an ecu flash. 

Yeah Blackout, I worry about that too. I will probably leave everything stock, including the snorkel and no flash. 

I just got the baffle yesterday. Threw it in and went for a ride. In my opinion it is not a HUGE difference in sound from the baffle the M4 comes with. It is a little quieter, and now the bike has less "freeway drone." It is quieter, but if you are looking for a big change you will be disappointed. It still sounds plenty mean! I plan to keep it in.

I will say this though. The bike runs better and I feel like I got a little power back. I was saving for an EJK and I don't think I will bother buying one now and just run the Q4 baffle. The engine braking is stronger again too. I know some folks don't like that but I love a bike with heavy engine braking.

I included a pic of both baffles. You could make this baffle pretty easy. Had I seen a pic before I bought it I would have just made my own. f65acc451106661487486be37f39545d.jpga229dfb4f9ffdde35a3296d5fc63d088.jpg

I just got the baffle yesterday. Threw it in and went for a ride. In my opinion it is not a HUGE difference in sound from the baffle the M4 comes with. It is a little quieter, and now the bike has less "freeway drone." It is quieter, but if you are looking for a big change you will be disappointed. It still sounds plenty mean! I plan to keep it in.  
I will say this though. The bike runs better and I feel like I got a little power back. I was saving for an EJK and I don't think I will bother buying one now and just run the Q4 baffle. The engine braking is stronger again too. I know some folks don't like that but I love a bike with heavy engine braking.

I included a pic of both baffles. You could make this baffle pretty easy. Had I seen a pic before I bought it I would have just made my own. f65acc451106661487486be37f39545d.jpga229dfb4f9ffdde35a3296d5fc63d088.jpg

Thank you for sharing! I'm glad to hear about your findings. I ended up buying a stock exhaust from ebay, much happier now. It feels faster now that it is stock again. I think I will still have my 2wheel Dynoworks flash for the stock configuration to help clean up the power curve and engine braking. I will be putting my M4 pipe assy for sale if anyone here is interested. Hit me with a PM. I'll post in for sale section.

kawaiimancubus

Thank you for sharing! I'm glad to hear about your findings. I ended up buying a stock exhaust from ebay, much happier now. It feels faster now that it is stock again. I think I will still have my 2wheel Dynoworks flash for the stock configuration to help clean up the power curve and engine braking. I will be putting my M4 pipe assy for sale if anyone here is interested. Hit me with a PM. I'll post in for sale section.

How much are you selling the m4 for?

Have you been able to record a video with this baffle in? I unfortunately am going through this expensive issue and wish I read this thread first. This thing with the standard baffle in is really loud, I don't mind but it bothers me knowing i'm probably pissing off everyone I drive by. 
I am contemplating the full yoshimura R77 exhaust as it sounds a bit quieter. 

Also does anyone know of a quieter exhaust than the M4 from experience in person? I am likely going to sell the M4 I just put on if I can find a quieter one. I'm going to have it welded tomorrow so maybe it'll peak some interest since it will be a "full system".

kawaiimancubus
Also does anyone know of a quieter exhaust than the M4 from experience in person? I am likely going to sell the M4 I just put on if I can find a quieter one. I'm going to have it welded tomorrow so maybe it'll peak some interest since it will be a "full system".

How quiet are you wanting? Could try a drilled stock exhaust.

The akrapovic titanium is really quiet with the baffle in. Expensive though. The Yoshi is pretty loud in my opinion. It will be a while till I can do a video about the Q4 baffle. I have a really busy weekend with no time to make and edit a vid.

Archived